gear stick problems

tankwars
Winch master

gear stick problems

Postby tankwars » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:53 pm

hi guys ive got a bj74 landcruiser that ive just done a manuel conversion on its 13bt powered. The gearbox that i have used has been reconditioned same with the transfer case. gearbox is nice a smooth quiet and same with transfer case all working fine. only problem ive got is that the gear stick is not self centering when you put it into neutral as in if you take it out of 1st or 3rd etc thats where it stays. going from 2nd to 3rd is a pain as is you have to hunt for 3rd. hope its a simple fix ive removed the top cover that has the selector forks and rods etc and cant see anything amiss but i dont really know what im looking for either lol. any help appreciated cheers. i brought the gearbox off a guy that claims to have had it rebuilt all ive done is bolted to my motor.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Re: gear stick problems

Postby Crash bandicoot » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:43 am

Sounds like they missed a ball bearing and spring on the selector rods.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

tankwars
Winch master

Postby tankwars » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:27 am

yeah ive got a feeling that is what has a happened where would i go to get those parts? transmission shop i guess or try and find a 2nd hand box?

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:35 pm

Crash bandicoot wrote:Sounds like they missed a ball bearing and spring on the selector rods.

When I had my manual trans recon'd they missed a ball from the top. Had to strip the whole thing down again to put it in.

I was driving it in this condition, struggling to keep it in gear and eventually the trans 'locked' to the point where it was never in Neutral so the engine would only turn over with the clutch in.
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

tankwars
Winch master

Postby tankwars » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:34 pm

got it all sorted now wound up getting a replacement unit in good condition shes shifting like a Rolls Royce now 8). i had my old one checked out and they had failed to put in pritty much all the balls and springs no wonder it was such dog to change gear.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:44 am

...DO we want to know "who" ...Supposedly "reco'd" it? :shock:
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

Return to “Drivetrain / Suspension”