Low stall torque converters

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Low stall torque converters

Postby kbushnz » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:28 pm

Hi All

Anyone have any real life experiences using a low stall converter in their diesel powered trucks?
Looking at getting one from Aussie for my Landcruiser Prado. As the factory one is struggling with more torque from engine mods.

Cheers
Calvin
Cheers Calvin
KZJ78 Landcruiser Prado...

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Re: Low stall torque converters

Postby mudlva » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:25 pm

kbushnz wrote:Hi All

Anyone have any real life experiences using a low stall converter in their diesel powered trucks?
Looking at getting one from Aussie for my Landcruiser Prado. As the factory one is struggling with more torque from engine mods.

Cheers
Calvin

Yep suit bigger diesels tho.
Low stall units are fitted into the chevy, ford etc type pick up trucks. Thats how they can pull stumps etc so well.

You may find it could kill your 4cylinder as its output is based on the hairdryer bolted to the side at a guess??

Pick they could perform well on a td42 as theyve got a good low down ballsy grunt but the std auto just kills it... just my thoughts.

Thought of just getting a heavy duty unit that keeps the same rev range?
Also give tony from otahuhu tranmissions a call. Hes a wizzard on 4x4 and tow wagon repairs and up grades etc

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Postby kbushnz » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:17 am

Will probably get a HD towing pack from Aussie. They do them all the time and have the knowledge.
Will drop stall about 500 which will be good. And tighten it all up... As mines is slushy and almost undrivable currently. Well on the open road. hahaha
Cheers Calvin

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:38 pm

Sweet that sounds like the business. H.d. will be better thsn the low stall. Although that will help keep it engaged which will then help trans temps

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:40 pm

the problem with auto's (and nissan's jatco transmissions are probably the worst for this) is they are designed to change gears smoothly, in order to do this they dump line pressure during the gear shift to give that silky smooth feel, the unfortunate side effect to this is more slippage of the clutch packs andless response from the T/C.

best thing i ever have done to my auto's( and i prefer auto to manual) is pull the resistor (on the jatco's) so the trans goes to full line pressure by defaut, and on the aisin's(pajero and toyota) disconnecting the (kick down cable as it's commonly called) but in reality just a mechanical version of what the jatco's resistor does in that it releases line pressure from the valve body by passing it directly to the sump depending on throttle input,(the more ya stand on the gas the more it closes off the bypass)

It is effectivley the poor mans version of a low stall and gave the ability to hold gears for the longest period of time before shifting

this combined with the T/C lockup mod gave the ability to decend steep terrain in an auto at idle where normally at idle the auto would start to allow the vehicle to gain speed as at idle it is designed to allow 100% slip(an example of this is stopping at a set of traffic lights with ya foot on the brake whilst still in drive. )

the down side, you need a fuckin big trans cooler to as the fluid coupling is doing more work more of the time and more regular brake servicing due to requiring more brake effort to over come the more direct drive force from the trans.

just my 2 cents.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Postby kbushnz » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:49 pm

Have a Hd tow spec Torque converter coming in from Aussie.
Apparently the early A340 used negative pitched vanes in turbine.
Modern ones used in the likes of the Hilux D4D engines have positive pitched vanes.
So the lads in Aussie are putting together one with those parts but with bigger lockup clutch friction lining (factory one is thin and narrow) with a Kevlar one which is wider. Bigger bearings.....furnace brazed fins....

Apparently my issue is common when guys upgrade the injector pump and turbo in my spec truck..... Poor old converter cant handle the power and results in flare......

See what happens and I will report back...

Calvin
Cheers Calvin

Return to “Drivetrain / Suspension”