Off road trailer build with patrol wheels...stub axles??

flatsix
Driver/Navigator

Off road trailer build with patrol wheels...stub axles??

Postby flatsix » Wed May 02, 2018 8:23 pm

Thinking about building an off road trailer or camper, want the same wheels as on the '92 patrol, 15" 6x139.7 stud pattern.

Can you get stub axle assemblies in that size? can't find much on the web, or is it better to use an old back axle, and that will have spring and shock mount points already on it, like the one below

tweake
Hard Yaka

Re: Off road trailer build with patrol wheels...stub axles??

Postby tweake » Wed May 02, 2018 8:42 pm

don't bother trying to use a factory axle.
you can buy the hub, stub axle etc off the shelf. i think its 6x 5.5" pattern.
then you use standard trailer braking etc.

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Wed May 02, 2018 8:45 pm

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/traile ... b30b82a7bb

You may find cheaper through a trailer parts supplier

flatsix
Driver/Navigator

Postby flatsix » Wed May 02, 2018 9:40 pm

Thanks for that, that is exactly what I need, didn't think about the imperial sizing.

Any opinions on using NATO hitch instead of the 1-7/8 ball for dragging it up a riverbed?, tandam or single axle?

I like this one, or maybe a bit smaller, so you can get a bit of gear and have enough room for 2 small bunk frames, bit like a frigate sleeping arrangement, rather than double bed, as it will be a hunting trailer

Gardengnome
Truck Hore

Postby Gardengnome » Thu May 03, 2018 11:25 am

G'day,

here's another local (Chch) supplier for 6x5.5 stubs and hubs. I can vouch for them as I have used a couple of their sets for my own trailers.
https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/traile ... c77822b18d

Regarding the Nato vs standard ball hitch. Up and down is the only real problem as the twisting side to side can be resolved with using a braked coupling which can twist or unbraked version but with a twisting arrangement.

Throw a bare coupling on your towball and move it about and satisfy yourself that it does not have enough rotation before shelling out the money and effort of a Nato or 4WD coupling. Our Club built a BBQ trailer and put an offroad hitch on it and reverted to a standard ball due to not making use of its travel, it was a pain in the a#$e to hook up and difficult to fit to some peoples wagons. I have towed my standard trailer with a rigid ball coupling into some nasty places and have never run out of travel, yet. I also have intentions of building a dedicated camping trailer and plan on using a standard ball until it becomes a problem.

As others have said in the past, didn't happen without photos. keep us updated.

Later, Phil.

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Thu May 03, 2018 12:54 pm

What size tyres on the patrol? If they are 33’s then the trailer will be huge. I built a camper and was going to run 33’s in it to save carrying a spare but it was just going to be to high to be sensible to get in and out of and still tow nice. So I stuck some 225/75/16 off a Hilux on it, I think they measure about 29 inch.
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

flatsix
Driver/Navigator

Postby flatsix » Thu May 03, 2018 1:05 pm

Thanks for that link, I'm thinking that if I can get something mostly done, and then sort out the axles, or whatever, then I'll have something I can use rather than planning the 'best of the best' but never getting it finished.

This thing here on TM with a trailer frame attached would be half way there, or something similar. There is probably an outfit around that could make up a freezer panel box and I can do the doors and windows

For added weird ideas, I thought about having the trailer with some sort of steel things in each corner like 'dozer ripper points, that slide up and down, put a winch in the front of the trailer (cos its already got a battery on it).

So when you get stuck, the crew pushes the trailer back 10m or so, jack it up, put the ripper points fully down, and start winching, trailer acts like a giant anchor plate with self setting anchor pins.

For use in braided rivers when you only have a single veh.

Anyway I thought it was a good idea!, almost as good as crowbar-ing in a hole, dropping a chain in and then pouring quick set concrete, winch out 1/2hr later. Haven't actually done that one, but I'd like to.

tweake
Hard Yaka

Postby tweake » Thu May 03, 2018 8:16 pm

flatsix wrote:tandam or single axle?

single axle. tandems simply do not have enough articulation to work properly in decent 4wd. also shock absorbers do not work well on tandems. you will need shocks absorbers on an offroad trailer.

with hitches, i'm not sure. that will depend a fair bit on length between toll ball and trailer axle. longer drawbars tow better and usually better in rough stuff but harder to get around tight stuff.
my usual problem with out tandem is bottoming out the draw bar. a higher towball helps, as does a tow bar thats closer to the tow vehicles rear axle.

Return to “Drivetrain / Suspension”