70series prado auto

skidmark
Hard Yaka

70series prado auto

Postby skidmark » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:35 pm

hi guys, on my ever growing quest to fit a pto/hydro winch, i was wondering if someone could take some measurements of there transmisson for me? trying to work out if i could get away with a 70 series transfer in my surf...think itll leave me with a short front drive shaft....

but if someone cold measure from front and rear drive flanges back to a common point such as bell housing or where bell housing attaches to trans that would be greatly appreciated?

also all split cases are the same? could a splitcase from a hzj79 be bolted to a a343 auto with the correct extension housing?

cheers Alistair
modified surf, hardly drive it seem to keep modifying it....

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Re: 70series prado auto

Postby kbushnz » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:15 am

I have a KZJ78 running a PTO winch with the auto A343F. I can get you some measurements later today....
All the spilt transfercases are then same...Dimension wise, Some early 70's have a different ratio for low compared to the Square Prados. Just remember you cant put a split transfercase on the surf auto.... Different castings.
Cheers Calvin
KZJ78 Landcruiser Prado...

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:20 am

that would be appreciated. I'm actually running a 1uz auto, but I was on the understanding that I would just require the different extension housing between auto and transfer to connect everything?

cheers

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Postby kbushnz » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:49 am

yes from my observations the 1UZ auto has a longer output shaft so will need either swapping or cutting down to accept the adaptor / extention housing from a factory auto / split transfercase.
Phil Clarke at Force 4 runs the 1UZ in his Prado.... he would have some good insights for you.
Cheers Calvin

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Postby kbushnz » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:21 am

Ok some numbers for you.
Ignore the fact I have grabbed an image of a manual 80 series trans... It just shows a good overview of where I measured from...
The distance between the two mating faces of the transfercase drive shaft flanges is the 400mm dimention...
The 545 measurement is from the joint between bell housing and engine back to the front face of the drive flange.

Dimentions.jpg
Cheers Calvin

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:30 am

have talked to Phil, was going to measure his but hes got a full length bashplate underneath...

and magic thank you.

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:17 pm

interesting it would mean my front drive shaft would be approx 220mm shorter than it currently is, so overall length would be reduced to about 550mm long, seems quite short.drive flange would be about rear trans sump bolts.
20181104_161305.jpg

rear shaft would need to be approx 50mm longer.

Return to “Drivetrain / Suspension”