WTD: 3" Exhaust for kzn185. where to buy?

zed
Hard Yaka

WTD: 3" Exhaust for kzn185. where to buy?

Postby zed » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:32 pm

Hi ore'ers...want a bigger zorst for my kzn185, along with a 3" dump off the turbo. Anyone know anywhere you can buy a pre-made one from apart from a custom build? Bought a great mandrel bent system from 4wdbits for my 80 series but 185 stuff seems thin on the ground...

Any ideas?

[Not super keen on paying A$616 for a dump pipe from engtek though]

It is auto (sep trans cooler), intercooled, fitting new water pump and lower temp thermostat tomorrow. This is all in the name of extending time between head cracks as it'll be a toytoa lol

Cheers :-)
IFS all the way...go the mark 1 Pajero!

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Re: WTD: 3" Exhaust for kzn185. where to buy?

Postby BlakeNZ » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:15 pm

Zed, Private message me if you want one made by my friend in Palmy. Will need your truck for about 3 days, I guess. Will do a good price, but can't discuss price here, as the choice of rear muffler influences price heaps( mild steel cheapy right up to stainless with expensive tip)
If any other KZN185 owners want one made up at the same time, we can use zed's truck to make one for you and freight it to you.
if anyone has a kzn130 within handy distance of Palmy(and needs an exhaust), get in touch too please, Same deal will apply. Great price, in exchange for using your rig for a few days.

Snapper

Postby Snapper » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:10 am

Hi Blake,

I am looking for a 3" dump pipe also. I have tried to private message you but I am not sure if the message is going through. Flick me a text on 0210595871

Cheers

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:31 am

yes, the message came through twice. will text.

Dannz71
Hard Yaka

Postby Dannz71 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:56 pm

I think Ironman4x4 do prebent bolt in 3 inch mandrel exhausts aliuminium coated too

zed
Hard Yaka

Postby zed » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:00 am

Thanks Dannz71 but nothing for the 130/185 surfs...BlakeNZs got us sorted though cheerz

zed
Hard Yaka

Postby zed » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:04 pm

Well true to his word BlakeNZ has sorted out a fantastic mandrel bent 3" system for my kzn185, including a high flow dump pipe all fitted and professionally manufactured. The system not only looked great but performs superbly as well. For the first time the nearly 2 ton 4x4 happily lights up both rears (lsd, auto, with oversize tyres on), and finally lets the 3 litre engine breathe properly when the revs come on. Its a very different truck to drive and my grin says it all!! :-D

Anyone looking for a better flowing and better performing system should get in touch with Blake NZ and he can sort you out.

One very happy Surf peddler :-D

Zed

mumbls
Hard Yaka

Postby mumbls » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:14 am

Zed from kiwi biker????

Take you words with a tonne of salt. (Metric)

3" pipe turning your surf into a hot rod....
drinking hatorgade

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:42 am

the numbers gained aren't huge, but it doesn't drop away at the top end like before, and the extra grunt down low allows chirping the tires out of corners. Temp drop results to come...

jonossiksilvia
Hard Yaka

Postby jonossiksilvia » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:02 am

BlakeNZ wrote:Have PM'd low-key about his 130. but no response.
Today we had the guinea pig KZN185 truck on the hub dyno, for a "before" dyno. It is an intercooled one. Directing the dyno fan onto the top mount intercooler made the results much more repeatable, and dropped the EGT by 100 degrees C.
Our base figure is 118hp at rear hubs at 9 psi. The truck is stock part from a pod filter in a custom made air box. Thanks to forum member Zed.

Did you do an after dyno run Blakenz? be good to see difference
Current 4wd: Surf Kzn185 ssrg factory Intercooled (yet to start build)
Past 4wd: toyota surf ln130, coil sas, 1uz v8 build

zed
Hard Yaka

Postby zed » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:17 am

mumbls wrote:Zed from kiwi biker????

Hey it's a diesel and will always be one...but the the bigger dump pipe (critical part of the system) allows the turbo to spool up quicker and earlier, meaning it does now get some spin when launching, whereas previously nothing.

Also the boost stays on much longer than stock, making it more free revving at the top end. Before it felt kind of asthmatic lol.

I'm saying its a very welcome change to a truck I now really enjoy driving :-D

Oops yeah I think the 185s are about 1900kg did mean metric lol

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:23 pm

yeah it did get an "after" dyno but I'm waiting to be emailed the results.

Trundle
Hard Yaka

Postby Trundle » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:59 pm

zed wrote:

Hey it's a diesel and will always be one...but the the bigger dump pipe (critical part of the system) allows the turbo to spool up quicker and earlier, meaning it does now get some spin when launching, whereas previously nothing.

Also the boost stays on much longer than stock, making it more free revving at the top end. Before it felt kind of asthmatic lol.

All of the 1kz powered Toyotas have exceptionally shit dump pipes , I think the only Toyota with a ct26 that has a good one is the 80 series !

zed
Hard Yaka

Postby zed » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:38 pm

Trundle wrote:
zed wrote:

All of the 1kz powered Toyotas have exceptionally shit dump pipes , I think the only Toyota with a ct26 that has a good one is the 80 series !

Yeah the 1kz's run the ct12b which from my old school days is the same turbo as an old shape soarer. But I also upgraded the system on my 80 series because most stock systems are restrictive...cant remember tho if I did the dump at same time or not.

I can definitely say though that the 3" with dump on my surf has made a significant difference to the driveability of my truck...I love it now! :-D

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:57 pm

Peak power was up approx 6%, but it holds on better than stock(eg at 4250rpm, power is more than 10% up).

zed
Hard Yaka

Postby zed » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:08 am

Ok so here's something else which is a nice discovery: before the BlakeNZ system was fitted I was regularly seeing 10 - 10.2 l/100km fuel consumption (mixed). Just did a measured fill tonight for a mixed trip and it was 9.5 l/100km. Will check next tank as well.

Mine is intercooled, slush-o-matic, pod filter and 3" turbo back. EGR blanked and PCV to catch can with breather.

zed
Hard Yaka

Postby zed » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:46 pm

Annnnd next tank got 698km for my 64l, or 9.1l/100km. Way better than anything I have ever had before the new exhaust, and not bad for an old precombustion chambered diesel hauling near on 2 tonnes... Thanks BlakeNZ! :-D

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:57 pm

i'm impressed with a 10% fuel saving, AND you now have more power. I might have to get me a 1kz!

mumbls
Hard Yaka

Postby mumbls » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:08 pm

or pay for a vendor status?
drinking hatorgade

zed
Hard Yaka

Postby zed » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:51 pm

BlakeNZ wrote:i'm impressed with a 10% fuel saving, AND you now have more power. I might have to get me a 1kz!

Yep time to ditch that petrol Blake...lol ;-)

zed
Hard Yaka

Postby zed » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:56 pm

mumbls wrote:or pay for a vendor status?

Yep good call. Be a good idea Blake

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:10 pm

yes i will talk to the fabricator about that. I, myself won't apply for a vendor status, given I don't stand to gain income from selling exhuasts.

CumJuggler

Postby CumJuggler » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:25 pm

BlakeNZ wrote:but can't discuss price here,

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:29 am

Cumjuggler, if you want to accuse someone of being a burgler, why not discuss it using your real forum name, rather than registering a new one?
I have no control over pricing, as i'm not a supplier of exhaust material, and I'm not a fabricator. I have however , continually pushed for lower prices for forum members.
The price the fabricator wants for a full bolt on KZN185 exhaust system, including down pipe, in 3" , with mandrel bends is $950. The down pipes on their own are $240, or less if you want no lower flange, so you can join it to an existing exhaust .
If you can get a bolt on one cheaper, go for, but just make sure you are comparing apples with apples, as the bigger pipe and the mandrel bends cost more. More than i thought they would :(

SMOKEY
Hard Yaka

Postby SMOKEY » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:52 am

This reply is directed at parties that want to turn ORE from being the friendly 4X4 site and brotherhood into another dying and dead forum that has stopped interesting members from replying to topics. The topic is about exhausts for 1KZ Toyotas :o , of which I have one and so drawn to this topic, there has been ---- well to me and I am sure other 1KZ owners some interesting pages up to now . Then along comes someone with an agenda unknown to the rest of us, why can't these ####wits who hide behind a nom-de-plume and keyboard come out into the open or like the old saying goes " If you can't say anything nice about someone then say nothing ". ------ Thanks Blake and Zed for sharing with those interested and for the person who questions the value of the subject,

IT'S WORTH AS MUCH AS SOMEONE IS PREPARED TO PAY FOR IT,

FITZY.

zed
Hard Yaka

Postby zed » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:07 pm

Well said Fitzy...ooh look here's an interesting graphic :lol:
Attachments
Gutless.anonymous.asshat.jpg

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:46 pm

CumJuggler wrote:
BlakeNZ wrote:but can't discuss price here,

Seriously?

If you have something to say, step up and say it - dont hide. Have the courage of your convictions.

Back on topic.

My 3 inch mandrel zaust for my 96 swb 1kz prado cost me just short of a grand from dump back and then the dump cost me 400 (was the first one made by this guy so I paid extra for the setup costs - such is life) so this sounds like a good deal. I got better mileage and the seat of the pants dyno gave better performance too. Would I do it again? Yes although maybe just 2.5 inch (2.75 wouldve been best I think but not for the price) or put a better muffler into it as my set up seemed a little 'droney'.

klompy
Hard Yaka

Postby klompy » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:58 pm

Hey cumjuggler your user name sounds like a mouthfull.

zed
Hard Yaka

Postby zed » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:32 am

Heath wrote:
Seriously?

If you have something to say, step up and say it - dont hide. Have the courage of your convictions.

Back on topic.

My 3 inch mandrel zaust for my 96 swb 1kz prado cost me just short of a grand from dump back and then the dump cost me 400 (was the first one made by this guy so I paid extra for the setup costs - such is life) so this sounds like a good deal. I got better mileage and the seat of the pants dyno gave better performance too. Would I do it again? Yes although maybe just 2.5 inch (2.75 wouldve been best I think but not for the price) or put a better muffler into it as my setup up seemed a little 'droney'.

Hi Heath. Good to hear your feedback on what you have, my experience is the same with performance and have recorded my fuel figures as better as well.

Before I got BlakeNZs fabricator to build one, I found two companies in Oz who do an off the shelf zorst turbo back for the prado 90/surf 185. Both were about AU $1,300 plus freight. No one in NZ had a pre built system and I did look...so I also think the price is more than fair. On mine I opted for 3" and I have a 20" hot dog muffler only (with the scavenging type holes not just flat). There is no drone at 100kmh but when you get on the gas you can hear it as she comes on song. Personally I think bigger is better with pipe size, ie less backpressure on the turbo but I think you are right in that 2.75" would be about spot on for the engine and turbo size.

Zed

floatingkiwi
Hard Yaka

Postby floatingkiwi » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:49 pm

Old thread but: I'm currently looking for an exhaust and located in Taupo. The only kits I can see are the PPD performance ones. Is BlakeNZ mate still doing these?
1999 KZN185W SSRG TJM T-15 Bar, Tigerz11 2speed winch, 2" EFS sus lift, 265-75R16 Engine guardian. Auberins EGT. LED light strips. weathertech cargo liner. Safari Snorkle SS145HF. Prado rad. Front and rear E-locker.

Return to “4WD Parts”