PROJECT PAJERO - #1 TYRES AND WHEELS

Zukin
Hard Yaka

PROJECT PAJERO - #1 TYRES AND WHEELS

Postby Zukin » Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:23 pm

Well I have cheated a bit on this simple mod

Tyres - I have two sets of tyres for the Pajero, both M/T tyres.

1) Set of Dunlop Grantrek MT2 mud tyres (275/75/16)
2) Set of Bridgestone 673 mud tyres (275/75/16)

The reason for two sets is simple, use one set for easy runs and keep one set for a good set of muds for club runs etc, where traction is the slippery stuff is required.

I have to say both brands of tyres have exceeded my expectations, for many different reasons. Road noise, traction, wear etc.

I went for a taller narrower tyre, rather than the traditonal wider style mud tyre.
I prefer the narrower tyre, as it seems to me it gives more traction on slippery sidlings. Also 16" is just that little bit higher than 15".

Rims - I am on Alloy 16" rims at present, but I think eventually white spoke rims are the better option, as I know it is easier to pop a tyre of an alloy rim.
I have had tubes with bigger valves inserted, so I can air down allot quicker.

Cheers Scott

Bodge
Hard Yaka

Postby Bodge » Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:34 pm

Why is it easier to pop a tyre of an alloy rim?

I have run alloys on my rangie for three years and have never lost a tyre. I think its more to do with the weight of your rig, the pressures you run and the type of tyre/rim width combination you have.

I run 10.5's with a fairly stiff sidewall on a 7" rim down to about 12-15 lbs without popping to tyre off. I have also run 10.5's with a 2 ply [soft] side wall down to 18 and never lost the tyre at that point either.

I think if you stay with a good rim width to tyre width ratio you should be sweet...

I was more worried about cracking the rim on a rock which is where Steel has it over Alloy. Fortunately the Simex's have a good bead protector built into the sidewall and to date it hasn't been an issue [frantically touches wood :D ].

If you need to run really low pressures [under 12lb] you should be looking at steel rims so you can fit a beadlock.

like this :D

Made by Swages in Auckland....

But unless you have 6 ply sidewalls you won't need to go this low? Maybe not?
[/img]
The three position Lucas switch - Dim, Flicker and Off.http://home.off-road.com/~bodgerover/

Zukin
Hard Yaka

Postby Zukin » Sat Jul 26, 2003 8:19 pm

Hi Bodge

it is easier to pop off tyres off some alloy rims as there is no bead lip etc,

So when you are running at a lower pressure than normal, you run the risk of debris getting into the bead, and when you reinflate it can dislodge the tyre from the rim.

It is also easier to damage an alloy rim on rocks etc

Regardless of the tyre you use it will not help in any of these situations.

I know of at least one bad motor accidrent that was a direct result of one of the above examples I listed above.

Bodge
Hard Yaka

Postby Bodge » Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:43 am

I may be slightly alloy inexperienced - but mine definitely have a bead lip....

I do get debris in the tyre as do all the guys with steelies - once a year I have them removed and cleaned out...
The three position Lucas switch - Dim, Flicker and Off.http://home.off-road.com/~bodgerover/

Zukin
Hard Yaka

Postby Zukin » Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:32 pm

Pic of the rim and Bridgestone Tyre
You can now see why I prefer to go for steel rims, there is no lip protection.
Ok for the easy stuff, but if you are in deeper ruts, a tyre can easily pop the bead

Cheers

Bodge
Hard Yaka

Postby Bodge » Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:18 am

Ahhh yes I see what you mean....

They are also a bit glam for off-road :D

Mine have the normal lip that steelies have and the tyre has a thick rim protector [that you can't really see in this pic]....

suzukisam
Driver/Navigator

Postby suzukisam » Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:03 pm

I've got alloys now, secondhand ones at that. when the tyre guys were swearing at them when they were pulling the old tyres off, i noticed they have a lip to stop the bead popping, far superior than the standard steelies.
I run a 6.5" rim on a 10.5" tyre, no beading popping issues with these babies, and they have tubes anyway...
Lester
Waikato NZ
The Last Samurai

Return to “Projects / Mod's”