FJ40 roll cage, power steering, and disc brake front end

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Re: FJ40 roll cage, power steering, and disc brake front end

Postby Fakey » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:01 pm

Really? From what i can gather the 4 bolt ones are the later model housings.
I think ill just make my own brackets up unless someone knows of anyone who makes brackets to suit the 8 bolt housings??
Didn't barbie drive a jeep??

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:37 pm

why not just drill more hles in the current caliper mount brackets...?

or use the same caliper mount bracket as a template and get another pair profile cut?

:D
ImageImage

cooksworld
Hard Yaka

Postby cooksworld » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:42 pm

Fakey wrote:Really? From what i can gather the 4 bolt ones are the later model housings.
I think ill just make my own brackets up unless someone knows of anyone who makes brackets to suit the 8 bolt housings??

I was getting my info 2nd hand and I never got to see the vehicle it came from. I was also told the LSD was in good condition - yeah right. People seem to mention Howick Engineering on a number of occasions so he may be worth a call.

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Postby Fakey » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:49 pm

Yeah ill give them a try. No can do with the redrilling of the ones i have theyre no where near the right shape an im thinkin of re selling the kit i bought an just using hilux calipers an discs on the rear

Sadam_Husain
Angry bird

Postby Sadam_Husain » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:51 pm

Fakey wrote:Really? From what i can gather the 4 bolt ones are the later model housings.

My last full floating 40 had 4 bolt backing plates, it had the handbrake on the rear shoes so it was one of the last 40's produced

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Postby Fakey » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:24 pm

Yeah i believe the 8 bolt ones are pre 79 with cardon shaft handbrake, i take it your one was early 80s?

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:31 pm

Sadam_Husain wrote:

My last full floating 40 had 4 bolt backing plates, it had the handbrake on the rear shoes so it was one of the last 40's produced

ditto...
ImageImage

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Postby Fakey » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:48 pm

Any progress with the brakes?

Ive got some front swivel hubs on the way, looking at cutting them down like in this thread
http://www.employees.org/~dirttrak/rear-FF-disk-conversion.htm
An use hilux calipers an discs, ill post pics in my build page once i recieve the hubs an make a start

cooksworld
Hard Yaka

Postby cooksworld » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:16 pm

Fakey wrote:Any progress with the brakes?

Ive got some front swivel hubs on the way, looking at cutting them down like in this thread
http://www.employees.org/~dirttrak/rear-FF-disk-conversion.htm
An use hilux calipers an discs, ill post pics in my build page once i recieve the hubs an make a start

Nope... Have my Wilwood proportioning valve - was sussing out the correct fitting for this as I couldn't find an adapter for the Toyota thread. Ended up going to W R Twiggs in to get an adapter so will get a friends to get the line cut and flare it correctly. Ended up putting in the stereo for something different to do.

Did you just get the hubs with no other fittings? If so where from and roughly how much? Figured most places would only want to sell the complete setup (discs, calipers etc).

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Postby Fakey » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:40 pm

Did you just get the hubs with no other fittings? If so where from and roughly how much? Figured most places would only want to sell the complete setup (discs, calipers etc).[/quote]

Yeah thats what i thought but i got just the bare hubs off a guy named Jason Bok in chch. Ive bought quite a few parts (body an mechanical) off him. Hes very helpful an good to deal with. Prices are quite reasonable too i paid $50 for the pair hes going to send them tomorrow.
He said he had a couple of pairs available so give him a call on 0273138908 his trade me name is hotrodda i think

Jerry
Yes Dear

Postby Jerry » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:45 pm

Jafa sells the MR2 Caliper brackets http://www.snr4x4.co.nz/caliper-bracket ... p-238.html

Brian Howat can supply the Suburu Caliper Brackets.
70 series prado (KZJ78) and 90 Series Prado (KZJ95)

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Postby Fakey » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:54 pm

Yeah i bought a kit with the leone discs an brackets but theyre for the later model 4 bolt flange full floaters, weve both got the, apparently rare 8 bolt full floaters
(check out the link i posted above for an example), brian howatt said he'd never seen an 8 bolt one an that i should make my own brackets, i quite like the idea of the cut down swivel hubs an hilux calipers, so im goin to try that first.

cooksworld
Hard Yaka

Postby cooksworld » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:00 pm

Jerry wrote:Jafa sells the MR2 Caliper brackets http://www.snr4x4.co.nz/caliper-bracket ... p-238.html

Cool... I think the MR2 bracket is for the later model full floating rear (4 bolt mounting as opposed to the earlier 8 bolt). Subaru caliper brackets - people have chatted about how you may run into problems getting things certified with not getting 100% pad contact, plus again... for the 4 bolt diffs.

cooksworld
Hard Yaka

Postby cooksworld » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:02 pm

Fakey wrote:Yeah i bought a kit with the leone discs an brackets but theyre for the later model 4 bolt flange full floaters, weve both got the, apparently rare 8 bolt full floaters
(check out the link i posted above for an example), brian howatt said he'd never seen an 8 bolt one an that i should make my own brackets, i quite like the idea of the cut down swivel hubs an hilux calipers, so im goin to try that first.

LOL - are they supposed to be rare??? funny how we've both ended up with them then! Thanks for the other details - seen him selling plenty of part on TM

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Postby Fakey » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:04 pm

cooksworld wrote:
Jerry wrote:Jafa sells the MR2 Caliper brackets http://www.snr4x4.co.nz/caliper-bracket ... p-238.html

Cool... I think the MR2 bracket is for the later model full floating rear (4 bolt mounting as opposed to the earlier 8 bolt). Subaru caliper brackets - people have chatted about how you may run into problems getting things certified with not getting 100% pad contact, plus again... for the 4 bolt diffs.

This appears to be true by the looks of the worn pads that came with the kit i bought. there was about 3mm at the top of the pads that hadnt been in contact with the disc. Not sure how this affects the cert tho. Doesnt matter to me as they wont fit my diff :oops:

sig
Jeep Jeep

Postby sig » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:40 pm

funnily enough i had a look at the floater in the back of my 40 and its the 8 bolt model as well.
FJ40,INJECTED SB 406 CHEV, LOCKER,35 SIMEXS,warn winch , 80seies vx 4.2 24v turbo diesel ,fr and rear lockers 3" exh top mount intercooler, 021 724482

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Postby Fakey » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:22 pm

Dam those hubs jason had were drum ones not disc :oops:
Back to square one, make my own

cooksworld
Hard Yaka

Postby cooksworld » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:11 pm

Fakey wrote:Dam those hubs jason had were drum ones not disc :oops:

Yeah... I had a chat with him today and was wondering what your plans were... ;-) bit of a bugger. Oh well, if you make up some brackets - make two sets and I'll buy one set. I don't see myself having any spare cruiser time this side of xmas to be experimenting with brake setups.

Thinking about it, the other option would be somewhere like cruiser spares out the hutt. I think he quoted me $300 for 60 series disc brake setup and assuming you could reuse everything... i.e. hubs as brackets (say a value of $100), discs (say $50), studs (12 @ $9 each from Toyota = $108), calipers ($50)... there's your $300. But it would depend if you've got some of the bits already. I do - except the bracket and studs - but maybe it's still an option.

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Postby Fakey » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:33 pm

Did some measuring an head scratching tonight,
I took my 84 surf solid discs an calipers off the front an fitted the larger cruiser discs an 93 surf calipers (which are 4 pots but quite a bit bigger than the 84 4 pot calipers)
Im going to use the 84 surf parts on the rear. Ill get the centre of the discs machined to fit on the back of the rear hubs, an get some longer studs to suit.
For the brackets, ill be making my own to suit out of 6 an 10mm plate to get the right spacing. Once ive got them working an im happy with them ill use them as a template to get some brackets lazer cut (just so they look pretty for the cert lol) Ill keep ya posted on how i get on

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Postby Fakey » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:34 pm

cooksworld wrote:
Fakey wrote:Dam those hubs jason had were drum ones not disc :oops:

Yeah... I had a chat with him today and was wondering what your plans were... ;-) bit of a bugger. Oh well, if you make up some brackets - make two sets and I'll buy one set. I don't see myself having any spare cruiser time this side of xmas to be experimenting with brake setups.

Thinking about it, the other option would be somewhere like cruiser spares out the hutt. I think he quoted me $300 for 60 series disc brake setup and assuming you could reuse everything... i.e. hubs as brackets (say a value of $100), discs (say $50), studs (12 @ $9 each from Toyota = $108), calipers ($50)... there's your $300. But it would depend if you've got some of the bits already. I do - except the bracket and studs - but maybe it's still an option.

What calipers an discs have you got?

cooksworld
Hard Yaka

Postby cooksworld » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:04 am

Fakey wrote:What calipers an discs have you got?

Vented discs (60 series which just need machining - same as the ones I brought from you) and 4 pot calipers from a surf/hilux which I'm hoping are the same as the 60 series... so the plan is for 60 series vented disc all round with a proportioning valve for the rear.

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Postby Fakey » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:54 pm

Oh sweet should work well, Ive got a proportioning valve to go on aswell.
Got my solid discs machined to fit the full floater hubs today an got the new studs coming from toyota tomorrow. The cruiser studs are the same as the surf ones i used on the front. They are a bit long for the rear hubs though :evil: might have to use some spacers (5-6mm),

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Postby Fakey » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:01 pm

Got my rear discs fitted up this weekend with some ugly 10mm plate brackets :D ,but theyll do the job for setup purposes. The final ones will be lazer or profile cut from 12mm or 1/2" plate to get the caliper spacing just right.

The studs are too long, my work mate gave me some 6mm spacers he had lying around, score. You can get the same ones from repco for $50 a pair

Took it for a quick run round the yard, the brakes were great but the rears still lock up a little early so ill need the proportioning valve

cooksworld
Hard Yaka

Postby cooksworld » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:30 pm

Fakey wrote:Got my rear discs fitted up this weekend with some ugly 10mm plate brackets :D ,but theyll do the job for setup purposes. The final ones will be lazer or profile cut from 12mm or 1/2" plate to get the caliper spacing just right.

Took it for a quick run round the yard, the brakes were great but the rears still lock up a little early so ill need the proportioning valve

Nice work... and progress is happening! :-) Surely you could just smooth the edges to pretty it all up? Glad the brakes work a treat... so what master cylinder combo are you using - I can't remember if you posted it. I've been digging pile holes for some work on the house so no cruiser time in the foreseeable future :-( - or at least this side of xmas. FYI - I brought a Wilwood proportioning valve on TM for $104.50 (that includes posting) from 'Fast Times Rods NZ' (outahere@xtra.co.nz). Since you're in the trade you may be able to better that but just in case those are the details. Adapter fittings from W R Triggs were $3.50, and you just need someone for the appropriate brake line flaring tool. Good luck.

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Postby Fakey » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:11 pm

They would look better with a bit more of a grind up, the thing im not happy with is that i didnt have any 12mm or 1/2" plate just 10mm, ya cant see from the pics but theres 2x2mm washers under each caliper bolt :oops: to get the caliper spacing a bit better. If i made the inner spacer out of 5/8" plate the caliper spacing would be perfectly centred, so a little refinement still to be made.
Im still using the 40 master an booster, I might try a surf master to try an get a bit extra braking power
I bought the same wilwood valve off the same trader :wink: an weve got a flaring tool at work so once i get the right fittings from twiggs ill be able to fit the new valve an try it out

cooksworld
Hard Yaka

Postby cooksworld » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:45 pm

Finally got back into the garage for a couple of hours this morning. Firstly swapped over the Surf/Hilux calipers after working out that they would bolt onto the 60 series swivel hub. Only had to cut a fraction from the backing plate and the mounting holes lined up. The Surf/Hilux calipers look like they have larger pistons and the pads are larger than the 60 series ones meaning greater contact area and hopefully greater stopping power. I'll need some wheel spacers as the caliper has a ribbing on the outside that just touches the rims. Sure TM or Repco can sort me out with those.

On the back I pulled apart the rear drums and hub. I'll get the hub machined sometime next week to fit the 60 series disc to allow me to see how things line up and what I can do for mounting the calipers. I'll also see what I can do with hunting out another set of 60 series swivel hubs to cut down for the conversion. One other bugger.... to get the long side axle out of housing I'm going to have to get the vehicle mobile again to drive it out as my garage is way too narrow to slide it out while parked inside... damn those old small Wellington garages!

So - if anyone knows of a 60 series front diff or parts let me know - cheers!

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Postby Fakey » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:59 pm

Im pretty sure most of the cruiser an hilux/surf calipers use the same bolt size an spacing, Heres a pic of my two different calipersImage
The right one is the early surf one with the smaller pad an two diff sized pistons, I originally had them on the front but I swapped them for the later model ones on the left cos they are larger, you must have slightly diff offset wheels to me cos the bigger calipers just fit inside my wheels without scraping, depending on how much they are scraping you could just machine (grind) the required ammount of steel off the caliper heat sink. Alternatively repco sells the 6mm slip on spacers for $50 a pair.
Are you going to have your rear discs inboard (behind the hub like mine) or outboard of the hub? Might be worth seeing toyota about some prado rear disc hub studs rather than cruiser front ones as theyre just a bit too long an require a 6mm spacer

cooksworld
Hard Yaka

Postby cooksworld » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:02 pm

RIght... well it's been a wee while some I last posted. In the mean time Fakey has rebuilt his entire cruiser and now has it fully certified and back on the road (or was that the cough..utt river I spotted in the background!). I in the mean time have rebuilt the back end of our house... not a day in the garage since last Nov. I have however got the house into a livable state so it's time to get the cruiser back on the road.

The cruiser as it's been sitting in the garage...

The plan:
Use the approach taken in http://www.employees.org/~dirttrak/rear-FF-disk-conversion.htm for the rear disc brake conversion.

The parts:

The hilux front solid discs I brought from 'chevrolux' back in Dec 09.

Testing the hubs and stud pattern against the 40 series full floater rear

The hilux backing plate

The complete hilux hub fitted onto the rear diff but the hub was about 20mm shorter than the original 40 series rear hub... thought I might have found myself a shortcut for mounting the rear discs to the hub... back to getting my hub machined down to fit the 60 series vented discs....

Hopefully I get the discs mounted up over Easter... more photos to come :-)

cooksworld
Hard Yaka

Postby cooksworld » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:13 pm

Well got a bit of time in the garage today and managed to mount up the drivers side rear brakes...

The hub cut 30mm in from the edge.

The 80mm slot to allow the bracket to fit over the diff housing.

It didn't fit straight on as hoped, there's a tapered edge on the back of the housing so I had to make an adjustment with the grinder and on it went.

100% pad contact ;-)

Simple....

I'll get some grease and kerosene tomorrow - give everything a clean up and reassemble it. I'll also try to hunt out some spacer washers to limit how far the studs can go through.

cooksworld
Hard Yaka

Postby cooksworld » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:19 pm

A slight change of plans with the brake and caliper combination. After the hassle of finding wheel spacers and questions around certification I decided to pull off the 60 series disc and calipers to test if the Hilux solid discs would provide the clearances that I need to bolt my wheels on. After a quick check tonight it looks like the narrower Hilux calipers will provide the clearance I'm after to avoid the need to run a wheel spacer. I'll give it another test next week once everything is bolted up correctly. Atleast both setups bolt up to the hub and bracket combo without any mucking around... I'd suspected there might have been an issue with offsets but not so.

Return to “Projects / Mod's”