FJ40 roll cage, power steering, and disc brake front end

cooksworld
Hard Yaka

FJ40 roll cage, power steering, and disc brake front end

Postby cooksworld » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:03 pm

Hey there... just in the midst of doing up the old FJ so I thought I would share my experience with the rest of you. It's a '77 FJ that I've had for a couple of years and it's basically time to either retire it of give it a new lease on life...

Progress so far:
16 May
Try to unsuccessfully sell the old cage on TM, I've decided to cut out and throw away the old as I can't afford the space associated with storing the old cage so out she comes...

and on with the new, having brought 3 lengths of 48 mm OD tube I started bending things up ...

May 26

I've decided that I wanted to have the flexibility of putting in a rear seat for passengers so I've decided to extent the cage through to the back with an additional rear hoop.

I decided to push out the front top bars to give me some additional head room as I didn't fancy hitting it on the way over

Decided to add in side bars so needed an additional length of tube... must be up to 25.5 meters of steel by now, eek!

Thought this was going to be enough but decided I need to add in a triangle for some strength so I put in a rear triangle and included the top mount for the front seatbelts...

June 4

Just been out to 'Cruiser Spares Ltd' in Upper Hutt to suss out power steering options. They can supply parts for either the FJ60 or the older Cressida conversion. Was considering the Cressida options as it requires slightly less work but having measured up the space between the Pajero PTO up front I may have to go for the FJ60 options... plus they are stronger and parts are more readily available. They were also looking into disk brake options - I'll need to check that they'll fit under my 15" rims as I can be bothered changing my wheel / tyre combination.

I'll post again next time I take some photos... Any comments and/or suggestions welcome.
Last edited by cooksworld on Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

muddyhilux
Hard Yaka

Re: FJ40 roll cage, power steering, and disk brake front end

Postby muddyhilux » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:03 pm

looking really good mate,keep those photos coming :lol:
1990 surf 350 chevy jacked up and currently under construction again

sig
Jeep Jeep

Postby sig » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:48 pm

if you want a disc brake setup i have one from a 60 cheep
FJ40,INJECTED SB 406 CHEV, LOCKER,35 SIMEXS,warn winch , 80seies vx 4.2 24v turbo diesel ,fr and rear lockers 3" exh top mount intercooler, 021 724482

vvega
Hard Yaka

Postby vvega » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:56 pm

i have a whole 70 series front end :D - diff head
Kiwi4x4

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:04 pm

I don't mean to pick on your handiwork as it looks bloody awesome so far, but are you going to be putting in a diagonal brace of some description :?: :?:
80 Series on 35" creepies, manual with twin factory lockers.

*CHILLAX BRO.*

cooksworld
Hard Yaka

Postby cooksworld » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:14 pm

skid wrote:I don't mean to pick on your handiwork as it looks bloody awesome so far, but are you going to be putting in a diagonal brace of some description :?: :?:

Yip - but I want to make it removable. It will be one of the last things to do. I need to get the mounts down to the chassis sorted first.

cooksworld
Hard Yaka

Postby cooksworld » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:23 pm

sig wrote:if you want a disc brake setup i have one from a 60 cheep

Hi sig. Definitely interested in the setup. I've sent you a PM with my mobile - txt me or leave me your number and I'll call you. Cheers Stef

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:57 pm

lookin very tidy fella.. nice..
ImageImage

PR
In the crap again

Postby PR » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:51 am

niblik wrote:lookin very tidy fella.. nice..

and what has happened to yours :oops: collecting dust for anthor 2 years :lol:
Its NOT a whale !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! more like a large seal

(021) 02388443

cooksworld
Hard Yaka

Postby cooksworld » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:39 pm

Question around the power steering:
I think I'm going to go for the FJ60 option and I had a chat with Andrew Ward today who's going to do the vehicle certification. He mentioned that I need to have a collapsible steering column if the PS box is mounted forward of the front differential. He mentioned that from 1975 the 40 series may already have this set up but I'll need to check. I haven't pulled out the current steering column yet but I will Sunday - does anyone know if they have a collapsible steering column in a 77 FJ40? Also for those how have headed down this path - what combination of steering column and shafts (universals) have you used to get from either the existing column (from the firewall forward) to where the PS box mounts? I'm wondering if there are existing toyota parts that I'll be able to make it up from. I understand that I'll need the 60 series drag link to connect to the existing LHS steering set up.

Any advice appreciated ;-)

MNC
Hard Yaka

Postby MNC » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:24 pm

cooksworld wrote:Question around the power steering:
I think I'm going to go for the FJ60 option and I had a chat with Andrew Ward today who's going to do the vehicle certification. He mentioned that I need to have a collapsible steering column if the PS box is mounted forward of the front differential. He mentioned that from 1975 the 40 series may already have this set up but I'll need to check. I haven't pulled out the current steering column yet but I will Sunday - does anyone know if they have a collapsible steering column in a 77 FJ40? Also for those how have headed down this path - what combination of steering column and shafts (universals) have you used to get from either the existing column (from the firewall forward) to where the PS box mounts? I'm wondering if there are existing toyota parts that I'll be able to make it up from. I understand that I'll need the 60 series drag link to connect to the existing LHS steering set up.

Any advice appreciated ;-)

You should use the 60 series steering column and slip yoke shaft to the 60 series box.

The arm on the 60 series power steering box points forward so will not be in front of your diff anyway.

Sadam_Husain
Angry bird

Postby Sadam_Husain » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:29 pm

If you use a 60 series steering box with a forward facing pitman arm I think the shock tower gets in the way, the 70 series steering boxes have a backwards facing pitman arm and mounts further forward on the front of the chassis rail

edit*
and I think you need the flatter 70 series pitman arm that dosent hang down as low and fowl on the leaf spring?

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:35 pm

then of course is the sleeving of the bolts and plating the chassis..

i used the 60 series uni's and shafts and steering box and then a pitman from a 70.. (flatter)
ImageImage

petefj40
Ms Daisy

Postby petefj40 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:46 pm

cooksworld wrote:
skid wrote:I don't mean to pick on your handiwork as it looks bloody awesome so far, but are you going to be putting in a diagonal brace of some description :?: :?:

Yip - but I want to make it removable. It will be one of the last things to do. I need to get the mounts down to the chassis sorted first.

Bloody nice looking bars there mate. Well done!
Keep those photos coming. :wink:

When it comes to getting the steering box mount fabricated. Allow for any changes of angle. When mine was made the mount wasn't made to the right angle, it's on the piss. So the steering column shaft ended up being to close to the fire wall. I should have it fixed but i thought, ahhhh it's rough enough. :lol:

Keep up the good work.

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:05 am

to elaborate....

crush tubes through chassis...

sleeved chassis rails and steering box sittin in location..

inner rails view..

seein as this steerin shaft is on the 'low pressure' side, it got cut, a bit added in to lengthen, and welded, then sleeved..

this shaft runs from firewall to steering box..

modified bottom of 40's wheel to take the 60's bearing but fit 40 mount on firewall..

like this....

and to the left of the picture is the flatter 70 series pitman arm..
ImageImage

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:12 am

PR wrote:
niblik wrote:lookin very tidy fella.. nice..

and what has happened to yours :oops: collecting dust for anthor 2 years :lol:

i'm tickin away on it at mo.. might post up bits later.. :)
ImageImage

petefj40
Ms Daisy

Postby petefj40 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:32 am

Lookin' pretty slick there m8! Nice welds to. :mrgreen:

petefj40
Ms Daisy

Postby petefj40 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:34 am

Nibs makes what I got look pretty rough. :oops:

But anyway. Don't wanna spam ya thread.

Keep it up. :wink:
Last edited by petefj40 on Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cooksworld
Hard Yaka

Postby cooksworld » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:01 pm

Hey thanks 'niblik'... the pictures are spot on with what I was after. I'll hopefully pick up all my bits on Tuesday and see what I can put together. The pictures you've put up will be a great reference - much appreciated.

cooksworld
Hard Yaka

Postby cooksworld » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:25 am

Progress update :: 9 May 09

Roll cage:
I've welded up the brackets to connect the cage down to the chassis. This ended up taking most of a day due to having to cut and drill the plate steel and remove a few bits that someone had welded to the chassis for the mud flaps in the past - it also didn't help when I cut up one of the tube sections by accident that I'd made for another support!

I'd managed to reuse some of the rear supports from the old cage for this - saving some of the remaining tubing for the new front bull bar that I want to make up.

Disc brakes:
I picked up the 60 series disc brakes from 'sig' on Saturday. Big thanks to sig for the knowledge and advice that he had.

The fitting of these will have to wait... until I sort out what I'm going to do with sorting my next project... the power streering...

Power steering:
I picked up what I hoped was going to be enough parts to piece together a power steering setup on my 40...

1/ 60 series PS box
2/ 60 series drag links
3/ 60 series steering column
4/ Surf PS pump, remote reservoir, and all connecting hoses

however... now that I have all the bits together in one location there are a few things that are apparent:

The standard 60 series sliding joint isn't anywhere long enough to get from the PS box up to the existing 40 series steering column

My options are:
1/ Try to find a longer slide joint shaft. My 60 series one extends from approx 46-56cm in length. 'sig' showed me one from a 70 series (from memory) that was longer. I'll have to measure everything up again but I think I need something that will extend up to 65-70cm. My options are to find an extension to go onto my 60 series slide joint shaft (possibly something like this - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =222842421), hunt out a 70 series slide joint shaft - or hunt around for something else that I have yet to discover...

Still, once I get this length problem sorted I still have to connect it to the 40 series steering column. I could look at cutting the end off and getting it splined - but that depends on if the universals come apart and I can come up with a universal joint that will accept two splined shafts...

Again - any advice / feedback / help appreciated ;-()

cooksworld
Hard Yaka

Postby cooksworld » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:31 am

p.s. I found this nice install but again it doesn't go into the full list of detailed parts...
http://forum.ih8mud.com/co-wy-horsetoot ... ost3594350

wopass
Hard Yaka

Postby wopass » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 am

cut the tube, lengthen it to suit weld it up, get a ticketed welder to do it, no problems. mine was the same and its all sweet as.will post a pic if i can find one :wink:
If you already know everything, DON'T ask bloody questions!!

wopass
Hard Yaka

Postby wopass » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:50 am

found some pics, bit hard to see as its all covered in instabling but gives you an idea.

cooksworld
Hard Yaka

Postby cooksworld » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:36 am

wopass wrote:found some pics, bit hard to see as its all covered in instabling but gives you an idea.

Thanks for the photos.

For some reason I thought after talking to the LVV cert guy that welding wasn't an option. I'll have another chat with him. Cheers and nice mods by the way ;-)

p.s. what did you do for the 40 column to universal set up? Is it welded or did you spline the shaft?

1rugger
Hard Yaka

Postby 1rugger » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:36 pm

cooksworld wrote:For some reason I thought after talking to the LVV cert guy that welding wasn't an option. I'll have another chat with him. Cheers and nice mods by the way ;-)

p.s. what did you do for the 40 column to universal set up? Is it welded or did you spline the shaft?

you are no longer allowed to weld any steering parts. I'm currently building a kit car and ended up using http://www.atlbalancing.co.nz to custom modify two universals & shaft to suit the length i needed think it cost around $200.
89 LN106 Hilux 3.0L turbo,2" bodylift 50mm suspension lift, lockrite rear, lsd front & 33" wranglers & winch

wopass
Hard Yaka

Postby wopass » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:49 pm

i also used the 60's steering collum

as for cert, mine has just gotten its cert and had no issues with it, mind you having really nice welds and a couple coats of paint on it, looks like factory if not better anyway :wink: the shaft is a welded component from factory anyway so whats the diffrence

Sadam_Husain
Angry bird

Postby Sadam_Husain » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:06 pm

cooksworld wrote:The standard 60 series sliding joint isn't anywhere long enough to get from the PS box up to the existing 40 series steering column

My options are:
1/ Try to find a longer slide joint shaft. My 60 series one extends from approx 46-56cm in length. 'sig' showed me one from a 70 series (from memory) that was longer. I'll have to measure everything up again but I think I need something that will extend up to 65-70cm. My options are to find an extension to go onto my 60 series slide joint shaft (possibly something like this - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =222842421), hunt out a 70 series slide joint shaft - or hunt around for something else that I have yet to discover...

I've got an old 70 series one here with a flogged out UJ, it measures 815mm end to end and looks like its pretty close to fully compressed.... the slide joints seized so I cant tell the actual compressed/expanded length

I brought a 70 series tierod and draglink from toyota a couple of months ago and the list price (ex gst) was $40 each including freight from japan and they both came with ball joints on the end... might not be a bad idea to have a quick chat with the toyota man while your doing all this :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

wopass
Hard Yaka

Postby wopass » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:11 pm

what i did :wink:

1rugger
Hard Yaka

Postby 1rugger » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:46 pm

wopass wrote:i also used the 60's steering collum

as for cert, mine has just gotten its cert and had no issues with it, mind you having really nice welds and a couple coats of paint on it, looks like factory if not better anyway :wink: the shaft is a welded component from factory anyway so whats the diffrence

i would say the cert guy overlooked/missed the fact that you welded it. as far as i know the rule change very recently or is about to change. as you use to be able to weld it and get it crack tested as i believe the steering shaft's are not just mild steel so when they are welded they are prone to cracking. i may be wrong as i'm no professional welder. but i have been told by my certifier that you are no longer allowed to weld them. but i would check with who ever is doing you're cert as he may be willing to over look it.
89 LN106 Hilux 3.0L turbo,2" bodylift 50mm suspension lift, lockrite rear, lsd front & 33" wranglers & winch

wopass
Hard Yaka

Postby wopass » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:17 pm

Sadam_Husain wrote:Image

that looks about the right sort of length? could be a simple option

Return to “Projects / Mod's”