Re: Blowen 87 series Landcruiser

Postby Big » Sun May 31, 2015 10:57 pm

imsohi wrote:So Are you coming up for Nelson?? We will be there

:wink:

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:22 pm

well I have maybe some bad news.. was rebuilding the starter motor, so had the top off.. long storey short lost a 12mm nut.. :shock: Suspect it is inside the passenger side piston( not sure which) .. but was only just started and ran less then 2 secs at a very low idle.. so i'll be ripping the top off yet again and the pass head off to check if the nut is there.. Wish me luck as I need it going to the final round in timaru..

Does anyone know where I might be able tog et .059 thickness head gaskets ? cometic ones if possible.. as it'll lower my compression ratio to a more acceptable level :twisted: as long as the inside piston and head are ok.. :cry: more will follow after tomorrow weather permitting..

Madaz
Hard Yaka

Postby Madaz » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:41 pm

Try Paul @ NZPerformance up in Palmerston North, I got all my Cometic gaskets off him, he is real sharp on price, and if he doesnt have it, will get it in for you

Madaz
Hard Yaka

Postby Madaz » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:43 pm

He also does a pretty good deal on ARP headstud sets for the 1uz as well......

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:17 pm

well top off.. still cant find the nut but tied a bit of cotton onto another nut to see if it could get into the head.. no go.. so that's great.. might have been a noisy injector pulsing as lack of fuel.. but not going to put together until I have found the nut..more later if I find more..lol

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:17 pm

So nut must be either in intake valley which is currently off on in the head intake ports.
Try tieing a magnet onto a welding rod and see if its stuck in the opposite head ports.
If it cant get past the valves then it could be stuck to the back of the valve shoulder which would also make for an interesting noise

geckoadventure
Hard Yaka

Postby geckoadventure » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:33 pm

Pity we cannot subscribe to threads. I'm going to watch this I like it.

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:10 pm

mudlva wrote:So nut must be either in intake valley which is currently off on in the head intake ports.
Try tieing a magnet onto a welding rod and see if its stuck in the opposite head ports.
If it cant get past the valves then it could be stuck to the back of the valve shoulder which would also make for an interesting noise

Engine is a none interference motor so if it was holding a valve open it wouldn't do anything other then that..
well im at a loss as its making a very bad noise and I have to take the top off again,.. but we're getting a bore scope and see if we can actually see anything in the bores.. if there isn't then it must be wedged down by the cam belt or somewhere.. near the rotating assembly.. had it running and noise would go away then come back..( almost sounds like its inside the supercharger) so fk'd if I know.. pissin me off no end :cry: Might have to unbolt the super charger lid from the manifold to double check that that's ok.. ruling out anything inside the bores and valve train.. intake assembly totally.. so that would indicate front covers to come off.. Bore scope first.. then follow on from that..

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:01 pm

well I have stripped everything down again and even had a borescope inside and all is well.. So filled her up with some gas and waalla.. everything is running sweet again.. :?: Only thing I can put it down to is no gas getting to the injectors and they were having a fit.. :roll: or not happy.. either way shes purring like a kitten again.. oh had to replace a spark plug.. :roll: had a miss too which didn't help.. :mrgreen: So now onto the brakes and leaking xfer :lol: grease her up and she good to go :wink:

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:02 pm

well bit of an update.. Had a few things go wrong for me at the last round in Timaru :roll: So I bent both trailing arms :shock: broke a mount off the steering dampener( one that the dampener bolts to the brackets) and also there is a crack along the brace at the front. Also broke the worm drive shaft off again.. :cry: .. I've got spares so all good.. Oh also bent on shock from when the passenger wheel ended under the passenger seat.. :lol: winch was working so well I didn't get any feedback on the pain it was under and then Walla.. the arms gave up and it turned to custard.. Also driveshaft had a wee bit of rubbing on something under the truck but it looks like it just rubbed off paint.. :o so will have a better look to make sure
We would have placed 3rd in series but placed 4th because of our mare :lol: Anyway will get a few pics for you pic whores.. :lol:
Dampener
Just need a new mount if anyone has a spare :mrgreen:
Arms.. Both are bent one more then the other :lol:
Brace on chassis :shock:
and winch, I have bit to repair so all good
If someone has a spare mount for the dampener that would be great :wink: Also the passenger side shock is bent a little so have a new one coming..
Also steering shaft on power steering unit is confirmed now twisted :lol:
more later :lol:

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:51 pm

Jeez. What a rough guy!

How are you breaking the worm gear shafts? Seems like that shouldn't happen?
Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:27 am

Checkerhead wrote:Jeez. What a rough guy!

How are you breaking the worm gear shafts? Seems like that shouldn't happen?

yea I hear you.. But im trying to make them stronger but they still keep breaking.. and I can understand why as both shafts that I got made up only had about 1-2.5mm penetration on the weld around the shaft and one only had 1 mm and that broke off when I was fixing the bloody thing.. :evil: It's just the machining shop here are pretty average and what we did in Nelson has worked for ages but wasn't running true so thought I would make it better.. :cry: and now im chasing making it good again..But I have a plan.. all will be revealed later :wink:

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:51 pm

Why are you needing to weld to it? Cant just use what ever attachment was already there for some reason?

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:43 am

Checkerhead wrote:Why are you needing to weld to it? Cant just use what ever attachment was already there for some reason?

like all things we build, I am trying to eliminate a weak spot along with making it work with the chassis that wasn't build to have the pto shaft going through where I have put it.. Weak spot is the shaft on the worm drive.. only from memory about 17mm which breaks off when you over drill the shear pin + where it is on my setup is about 250mm too short to reach a carrier bearing where in fact my shear pin setup is..I also cant have a dog leg pto shaft setup to allow for following the line of the chassis as there are other things coming into play.. Im keeping it simple but in the journey to keep it reliable.. I have teething problems.. which this is one.. I should have left it as it was after nelson..it worked. :)
Anyway.. I have fixed my miss that was annoying me from Dunedin winch comp ( thought it was fuel pump).. the cam senser had both wires almost broken which was why it was not firing very well..
shitty picture but you get what I mean..
So now things to fix are starting.. seems to not start as it did ( no idea why)..and put a fuel pressure gauge on the rail to make sure im getting the right pressure as I suspect fuel pump might be playing up.. apart from that, I have fixed the trailing arms and just need to weld up the crack.. then good for Manukau if my sponsor confirms as I cannot afford to get there on my own. More later :wink:

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:57 pm

Fixed starting issue .. cam angle sensor that is above.. tried soldering the wires together but it still had start issue.. swapped it over from other side which was mint and starts first time so sensor must have been fkd too, Just winch now to sort out and we good to go :wink:

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:47 pm

Ok peeps, I have decided on a few mods as after doing the winch challenge series down here it has brought on a few issues that I can easily do and make it hopefully more competitive :lol:

List of things i'll be doing is,

move fuel tank to back deck
turn winch around and run from the back,
Put the radiator on back as sick of it being clogged up with mud.

Today I just removed a few things and mocked up some ideas for fuel tank.. It should work great and give me loads of room under it 8) ..for other things :lol: Havent taken any pictures as ICBF'D at this stage :lol: but if those that want them hola up otherwise it'll be secret squirrel stuff.. 8)
Just need some steel and gas for the first stage.. :wink:
More later

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:00 pm

Consider this a formal picture request.

Glad you have seen the light. You'll never look back from a rear mounted winch.

DMcCready
Hard Yaka

Postby DMcCready » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:16 pm

Or a rear mounted radiator....
There's gotta be some rocks round here SOMEWHERE!

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:15 pm

Well spent some of the afternoon re doing fuel tank relocation.. turned better than I thought it would 8)
started with taking deck off, then working out where to put it
then cut off the remainder of the old steel out..
then mount tank
which gives me loads of room under here..sorry poor picture
so basically what's left to do is relocate radiator on top of fuel tank.. then relocate the winch to the back.. which now has plenty of room.. 8) along with some go fast bits :wink: well I hope.. :mrgreen: and a few hoses and sundries to make sure things work proper like :lol:
Oh and redo the last bit of exhaust.. omg soo over that bit :(

more later

Merry xmas everyone

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:46 pm

Well went for a ride today and got my new radiator for the back.. I can only trust it will do what everyone says it'll do.. :shock: :lol:
Anyway mocked up a position.. not sure of the angle yet but basically this is where it is going to go :mrgreen:

and a closer look
most likely to be installed over the next week or so.. :wink: :lol:
Merry Xmas

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:22 pm

Awesome

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:09 pm

Well small update, I have been working through the rear radiator setup.. I have run it up and works mint.. just need to thrash it and then I can make sure it's sweet as.. :) BUT I can't complete the setup yet as I need to get the new tranny in.. :( what I fking mission.. :cry: But I have removed the old tranny and xfer, when it was pulled I noticed yet again the outside thrust washer has fking disintegrated again :evil: not sure why this kee3ps happening but I have a theory that the xfer casting is flexing just a wee bit then that allows the thrust washer to start rotating then it starts to eat the housing.... anyway new old setup should be better geared and then shouldn't ( hopefully) do that.. with the lower gears.. anyway new old box setup
and now that I have removed quite a bit from under there is heaps of room for some goodness :twisted:
notice the pipes on the left.. they aren't attached yet as I cannot because of the tranny.. :cry: just not enough room for everything to fit in there.. :lol: Oh well we'll see tomorrow if I can get the tranny to fit with the diaphragm :lol:
more later

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:27 pm

is that a split case on the back of that thing, there's different thickness thrust washers to get the correct endfloat on the idler, also worth checking the idler needle roller bearings and spacer are installed in the right order if its chewing out thrust washers, looks like a ton of room for the radiator pipes under there :D

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:26 pm

derk wrote:is that a split case on the back of that thing, there's different thickness thrust washers to get the correct endfloat on the idler, also worth checking the idler needle roller bearings and spacer are installed in the right order if its chewing out thrust washers, looks like a ton of room for the radiator pipes under there :D

yea no need to worry about the xfer anymore as the new old one should be sweet... and as for the room for the radiator pipes.. yea na.. like 5mm if im lucky once tranny is in.. between the pto drive and the actuator on other side.. the diaphragm will have to be cut into chassis rail I suspect as the one that came off only had about 10-15mm each side yet alone the radiator pipes as well :shock: as it was a manual actuator lever.. which may end up trying to fab / mod something up if I cant get it in between the rails.. :lol:

Madaz
Hard Yaka

Postby Madaz » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:13 am

Yep, I know you pain, I had to convert my transfer case back to manual after the actuator ran foul of the chassis rail. Took a lot of trial and error to get it right and still come up in the right place in the hilux tunnel

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:43 am

Madaz wrote:Yep, I know you pain, I had to convert my transfer case back to manual after the actuator ran foul of the chassis rail. Took a lot of trial and error to get it right and still come up in the right place in the hilux tunnel

:lol: :lol: all in aid of finding the perfect 4wd..i mean women :lol: :lol:

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:07 am

derk wrote:there's different thickness thrust washers to get the correct endfloat on the idler:D

Have just checked the FSM and a couple other related manuals and none say there are different thickness thrust washers.. only say to replace.. :?: can you confirm that you can actually get different thickness washers ?

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:49 pm

Also, I was thinking about the OD clutchs and stuff, and thought I better swap them over.. what a mare. but I now have 5 plates instead of 3, Lexus pump and splines so now just need to bolt up to mota..had to split the xfer off as it was just too bloody heavy :lol: my myself..lol so tomorrow ill bolt up tranny to engine and then split the xfer to put the pto gear in then see how we go for room.. :shock: not holding my breath :wink: :lol: :lol:

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:54 pm

Well update time and things are starting to come together :P still hardly any room for anything but hey.. I think I have managed to get it to work.. :wink:
All engine piping is done just 2 brackets to help support it, Electrical wiring side is done except for the trigger wire to the 70amp relay that runs them..

Picture of under truck
as you can see, there is not much room for anything.. but hey 5mm here and there should be ok.. :wink: :lol:
Engine bay side of things
and back deck side
Just a couple little supports for couple things but pretty happy at this stage.. :mrgreen:
More later :wink: :wink:

Return to “Projects / Mod's”