Blowen 87 series Landcruiser

Big
Hard Yaka

Re: 87 series Landcruiser

Postby Big » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:56 am

Madaz wrote:
Big wrote:
Mattman wrote:My m90 had the bypass built into it.

The valve works so that when you are not making boost ie at cruise the valve opens which allows the charger to be bypassed. When you are boosting the vacuum goes away and the charger is used.

Matt.

What I thought BUT the valve is charged by vacume at all times( supply from before charger inlet).. so I cannot see how it would be able to be closed at boost..as it is always vacume fed.. :?:

The vacume line that feeds that bipass valve needs to be
taken from the inlet manifold after the supercharger. It needs toget boost pressure

Ah Haa.. Thnx Tim.. I was thinking that was the case..but I couldn't get a definitive answer online searching etc..

churchill
Hard Yaka

Postby churchill » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:29 am

Q: What is this black plastic object on the side of my supercharger? What is a bypass valve?
A: That object is the bypass valve vacuum actuator. This unit has a vacuum port that connects to the supercharger inlet between the rotors and throttle body. This actuator opens and closes a bypass valve for the supercharger. This valve is open when throttle loads are low and closed when throttle loads are high. With the bypass valve open there is no pressure being created across the supercharger. This allows the supercharger to have an almost negligible parasitic loss in this condition. With the bypass valve closed, all airflow is routed through the supercharger and boost is created in the intake manifold. In some newer applications this actuator is also controlled by a solenoid.

Found that here:http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Automotive/AutomotiveAftermarket/Superchargers/FAQ/index.htm

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:00 am

churchill wrote:Q: What is this black plastic object on the side of my supercharger? What is a bypass valve?
A: That object is the bypass valve vacuum actuator. This unit has a vacuum port that connects to the supercharger inlet between the rotors and throttle body. This actuator opens and closes a bypass valve for the supercharger. This valve is open when throttle loads are low and closed when throttle loads are high. With the bypass valve open there is no pressure being created across the supercharger. This allows the supercharger to have an almost negligible parasitic loss in this condition. With the bypass valve closed, all airflow is routed through the supercharger and boost is created in the intake manifold. In some newer applications this actuator is also controlled by a solenoid.

Found that here:http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Automotive/AutomotiveAftermarket/Superchargers/FAQ/index.htm

Yes I read that But it actually doesn't say put the vacume hose after the supercharger(pressured side) so when boost/ no boost is at a minimal point it'll open ..
It even says that the hose is to connect to the INLET of the supercharger between the rotors and TB.. and with that I'd assume they mean in the vacume side(none charged air) AS this part is sucking air.. not blowing it..
Typically the TB is before the SC so you can see how easy it is to get a little lost trying to get it right..
It did my head in but now I have my head around it and it's easy really..

willie
Driving Ms Daisy

Postby willie » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:32 pm

Looks the part 8)
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did — in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.

churchill
Hard Yaka

Postby churchill » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:40 pm

The vacuum hose is supposed to be after the TB and before the SC. Looks the the diaphram is vacuum actuated so it might struggle to work under boost, check out by sucking/blowing on it.

What I think it does is on closed/semi closed throttle it allows the pressurised air after the SC to vent back to the SC intake making the engine work less by not compressing air through the SC. At idle and low throttle settings you don't need the SC working. At WOT the valve closes so all the air has to go through SC and be compressed giving more power.

Nice build by the way!

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:18 pm

Well our Winch Challenge is now over and I was always going to rip the top off to blow it.. Seeing as the starter motor gave up during our wc.. it getting pulled in anger.. :lol: :lol:
2 days to wash all the crap out so I can at least push it into the garage.. :lol:
Watch this space.. :wink: :mrgreen: Things are gonna happen.. 8)

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:54 pm

Well it's been a shit day.. pissing down
so I made the most of it.. Have to wait to bolt it on the starter motor due to contacts not being here..anyway here are some pics of today..
and
and
tomorrow might yeld more but we'll see.. :mrgreen:
later

Madaz
Hard Yaka

Postby Madaz » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:40 pm

churchill wrote:The vacuum hose is supposed to be after the TB and before the SC. Looks the the diaphram is vacuum actuated so it might struggle to work under boost, check out by sucking/blowing on it.

It needs to pick up from the inlet manifold after the supercharger.

It will not work if you dont take it from there.

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:48 pm

Well had a few hours to work on things this afternoon.. soo here are some more progress shots..
Blower is now bolted onto top plate and has a gasket + 3 bond + stud lock on the bolts holding it on.. last thing we want is the bolts coming loose.. :shock: it would be say catastrophic and i'd loose my marbles.. :wink:
I've made a cork gasket to seal the top plate to the inlet as it's only pumping 8-9 psi so really it should be good to go.. :lol: I didn't want to 3 bond it as I would like to check things and maybe later on upgrade :lol: . anyway here are some pictures.. :mrgreen:
Oh and I fixed the starter motor.. 3 bearings seized + contacts.. :roll:
and shitty picture but shows the air temp sensor
and bypass valve hole etc
and installed
and
Tomorrow might yeld more but we'll have to see... So apart from the physical things to connect there is only the ecu after this.. then we can fire it up.. :twisted:

More later

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:33 pm

well it's been an interesting mod.. to say the least.. I was truly dreaming is I could get the supercharger on in 2 days before our WC.. So many little things that needed to be made.. just took ages..lol
I have to take the top plate off again now due to an air leak which hasn't sealed properly.. more work.. :cry:
Anyways here is startup video to get some of you inspired. :twisted:

Oh I also need a new crank pully as mine is about to go on vacation.. it's literally falling apart.. :mrgreen:
More later

QUADRACER
Hard Yaka

Postby QUADRACER » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:57 pm

Fizzing, let skid it up :D
retired 4wd to a ford ranger and UTV

imsohi
Hard Yaka

Postby imsohi » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:17 pm

Wow great progress she will be a transformed truck sounds great too 8)

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:27 pm

Thanks Leigh.. I can only hope so.. :twisted: Well I do hope to give Bob and Holmes the hurry up.. :lol: :lol: or at least try.. :wink:

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:15 pm

Up date well sort of, I have sealed the top plate down and is awesome..no leaking and quiet as a mouse.. :lol: Blower is spooling correctly now too as the crank pulley was fk'd and was just free wheeling on the crank.. :shock: Thanks to Leigh for sending a new one.. 8)
She's running almost like the Earnslaw. Rich as and is blowing black smoke all over the place.. at least I know I won't blow it up due to being lean. Lol
Compressions are 215,211.5,211.0,212,210,209.5,213,210.5 so I'm feeling good about it.. these were taken after bringing it up to temp.
Just have to make the tranny loom now and power that up and she's good to take for a spin..
Can't get dyno time till next Friday.. :cry: so it'll just sit in the garage till then.. :(
Best of all.. the whole setup is under bonnet and you can't tell I have a blower.. so I got the whole secret squirrel thing going on.. 8)

Later

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:31 pm

Well just got back from the Dyno man.. :shock: :lol: I have to change my injectors to the 385cc jobbies as at 60% duty cycle on the standard ones we are only making 70 odd hp and just under 300 ft pounds @ 3000 rpm.. and he basically said we will max these puppies out at around 4500 rpm... :lol: So tied the truck on the trailer and brought it home after 2 hrs..
Heading back early next week to finish this.. :roll: so we should be able to get some good numbers.. :wink: Seems it flows very well intake side of things.. only limitation will be the exhaust.. which I knew anyway..no space.. so all in all not a bad cheapish exercise .. :mrgreen: But even at the way it's tuned now ..OMG the torque off throttle is awesome..
More later

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:18 pm

Wicked man. What ecu did you end up running?

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:48 pm

Mattman wrote:Wicked man. What ecu did you end up running?

G1.. :wink: cheap as chips was why.. and had a tune that I could use but ran out of head room..

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:53 pm

Update,
changed injectors again 385 ones now in.. :roll: so we should see a huge difference in when we start making power..
Got new spark plugs to change out.. the originals are fk'd.. :lol: now boosting..
Fixed fuel line that had the wrong type of pipe on it.. :oops: :mrgreen:

Dyno run Wednesday arvo.. :wink: so we'll see what happens

More then :twisted: Later

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:19 pm

Well update time... :lol: has been an interesting afternoon to say the least.. :twisted:
Had the dyno tune done today with the 385cc injectors.. what a difference.. we at now at around 65% duty cycle total.. :o But we have had an eventful day too :roll: Had a tyre delaminate on the power runs.. the tread decided that it wanted to go somewhere else at 210km @ about 4800 rpm... :mrgreen: Video below was just before it vacated. Lol
We were not totally sure if we were in 4th or 3rd.. :mrgreen:

And here is a couple pics.. :roll:
and
We concluded that due to the tyres not being rated enough to handle the pain we would do only 2nd gear pulls.. :shock: :lol:
So here is another pic at the dyno..
Here are a couple video's of some power runs in 2nd gear.. :twisted: as we didn't want to test any more tyres... :lol: Nick is getting excited here...595.68ft pds..Just a tad over 800 nm :wink:

and

More later when they are uploaded.. :wink:
So only thing left to do is a bigger saust.. :roll: :lol: as Nick was saying I would help a lot..lol But im not sure I have any room for a bigger exhaust now... Might have to put my head thinking cap and try to come up with a cunning plan.. :? any ideas?
Got a weird rattle too so the tops coming off as we think it might be something to do with the starter motor.. :cry: So we'll see how that goes..
Well that's about it.. Looks like we are getting to the close of this build.. only a few little things to do now like lockers, bar work etc.. I'll post up if people want me to.. but if there is any real fun stuff like today I'll deff post.. :wink:
Well till later ta ta :mrgreen: :lol:

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:52 pm

Lake pipes incorporated into rock sliders but instead of going out in front of the rear wheel. Cut back under the truck into mufflers or cobys?

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:02 am

Nice work man, you must be happy.

When I dynod my modded 1uz auto doing it in any other gear other than 4th gave high torque readings. Can they compensate some how?

Matt.

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:07 am

Mattman wrote:Nice work man, you must be happy.

When I dynod my modded 1uz auto doing it in any other gear other than 4th gave high torque readings. Can they compensate some how?

Matt.

Not sure.. seeing as it's the tyres that are letting it down.. can't see how we can do a full power run in 4th..Just too scary..lol
Might have to find some speed rated 31's.. :lol: as he reckons it'll do about 260-280 kph so.. dunno..lol In saying that though.. it's the torque im after..so yea pretty happy :wink:
oldyella wrote:Lake pipes incorporated into rock sliders but instead of going out in front of the rear wheel. Cut back under the truck into mufflers or cobys?

Yea..na.. :wink: I've got to take the intake off again so i'll have a ponder..lol

lexlux
Hard Yaka

Postby lexlux » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:37 pm

thats the one good thing about hub dynos it eliminates those problems ,you will love the torque .

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:48 pm

lexlux wrote:thats the one good thing about hub dynos it eliminates those problems ,you will love the torque .

I hope so.. :lol: But I've taken the top off yet again and nothing is out of the ordinary.. Bert popped round and reckons something is going on cam wise.. :? so i'll remove the covers and see what that brings.. :cry: Otherwise the tranny is getting pulled.. :lol: again.. :roll:

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:04 pm

Transfer box fk'd :cry: will pop some pictures up as I've only just dropped it on the floor.. still chasing a very weird noise and I suspect auto somewhere... :roll: Oh well time will tell.. :(

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:04 pm

Still haven't got to the auto yet but here are couple pictures of when the thrust washer decides to not work and the Gearset wanting to vacate the housing... :evil: :cry: lucky I have a spare case and gearset.. but it's still not perfect as I swapped it for the one that is now fk'd...lol
and
and
so yea.. not a great start to being blown...lol
More to follow when I get to it.. :cry: :shock: :lol:

QUADRACER
Hard Yaka

Postby QUADRACER » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:19 pm

Results of mega horsepower , bro :D
retired 4wd to a ford ranger and UTV

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:01 pm

QUADRACER wrote:Results of mega horsepower , bro :D

Funny bugger :wink: but it's true :mrgreen:

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:05 pm

ANYWAY... :lol: found the noise I was looking for :oops: :mrgreen: What can I say.. but oops a dassy.. :lol: :lol: no locktite on the bolt and this is what happens.. could have been very different outcome with the mega horse powa I have now... :lol: :lol: Nice ring of death there... :shock:
and here is the culprit ...
and together
So i'll see people opinions about reusing the torque convertor but Bert has said it'll be ok.. your thoughts ??
More later.. :lol:

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:13 pm

Good work Keri, you are building quite a machine but I don't really think it will ever be finished, nothing ever is.
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

Return to “Projects / Mod's”