Hard Yaka

Re: LN106 Hilux Build

Postby Mattman » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:47 pm

Great build. Looks like a solid truck!

trucked
Hard Yaka

Postby trucked » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:46 pm

Must feel awesome to have it out for a proper run after all the hard work, if you don't mind me asking what did it cost to get the turbo done from Steve?

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:38 pm

yea it's pretty good. Will feel better driving it legally on the road :D

Yea no worries. Was $670 including gst and shipping back down to me. Seemed ok to me. He has put a bit of work into it and good for me that it still bolts up to non adaptors to make.

Should suit the 5l a bit better than a standard ct20. Will see how it goes when my boost gauge turns up and I sort out the fuel pump.

slidenyo
Hard Yaka

Postby slidenyo » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:53 am

looks bloody cool , have to finish that macetown track next time we come down
problems are only a problem if you not willing to learn how to find solutions

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:00 pm

Took it for a warrant on Friday. Cert guy wanted me to get one and fail only on cert stuff. All good.

Then went to macetown on sat

tomsoffroad
Flopsie

Postby tomsoffroad » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:33 am

Looking good Pete. The suspension look like it working well?

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:51 am

Yea I'm pretty happy with it.

Rear is a little stiff, haven't had it on the bump stops yet but I'm not too worried, lockers make up for it.

Will probably need some new springs for the front at some stage as they are a little saggy. Was sitting low on the drivers side still so I pulled the front packs apart and swapped leaves round to get it sitting flat.

Adjustable shocks are mint, its bloody smooth on the river bed for a leaf sprung lux and goes good on the road with them on hard.

Steering dampener is the only other thing I should probably sort. Was planning to wait till after cert but I should probably do it before hand.

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:09 am

Just been sorting out some new brake pads for the rear. The MR2 ones are a bit hard to get.

Bendix do them. For the sw20 (what i think the calipers are off) the part number is DB1260

BNT stocked there for $76.42+GST

I rang NZ brake co (09 8366673) and they were out of stock of DB1260 but said they use DB405 of the AW11 mr2 interchangeably.

They had these for $35inc

From the bedix website they actually list the DB405 for both the aw11 and sw20 non turbo.

http://www.bendix.com.au/catalogue/10501

According to their website the DB405 is 0.3mm thicker in each pad.

Should be good!

Cheers,
Pete

juz
Hard Yaka

Postby juz » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:24 pm

Trucks looking real good pete, just wondering are those 33s 12.5 or 10.5 wide? They look good and narrow. Thinking of going 255/85R16 on my hilux instead of the current 285/75R16.
Cheers Justin
Softroader VW Amarok nowadays.... :roll:

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:42 pm

They are 33x10.5 the 35's on black rims are 12.5.

Cheers,
Pete

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:42 pm

Wow I have been a bit slack with updates!

After my last post I got the steering dampener on, steering still had a bit of slop in it, then I realised that I hadn't done up the steering box mounds properly and the whole bloody box was moving!!! I went over the whole suspension/steering twice and still managed to miss doing those. I suppose I was going to miss something after having eveything on and off so many times.

With the steering sorted and xmas on the way I thought it was about time I booked it in for a cert. Had to go for a warrant check first and failed on not having rubber grip things on my clutch and brake pedals and for a spot of rust in the tail gate. That was quickly sorted and Peter Watson from Gore came up to Qtwn and ran it though cert. He was happy and it went though with a clean sheet.

After driving it around a bit I thought it would be time to but the boost compensator on as well as fitting the intercooler.

Boost compensator was way harder than it had to be but I got there in the end. Details are here http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/Forums/ ... 46&t=39172

For the intercooler we got a bare core and made custom end tanks for it. I then fitted a big horn bonnet scoop and rubber. The core was about 75x180x245mm and is a damn tight fit being so thick and with not having a body lift. Though there was more room than I thought when I put the bonnet scoop on.

Very happy with how it worked out. It is noticeably cooler on the outlet of the IC after a drive on the road. EGTs were more of an issue at open road speed so not so worried about the IC not working to well off road.

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:44 pm

and a couple more pics.

Winch solenoid installed

egt and boost gauges

and a shot showing how the gear levers turned out wit the bench seat

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:47 pm

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:08 pm

Well the truck has been getting a bit of work round our section cleaning up willow trees etc and there have been a few teething problems as expected.

First this happened

So then this happened

with some of these

and some new hub studs to finish it off.

Had to clearance the swivel hub a bit to make sure they didn't bind up

Before

and after

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:20 pm

Also it was bout time to get rid of the old tonneau cover as it was leaking and proving to be a right pain. My mate Sam at priest sheet metal talked me into one of alloy his hard lids that he has started making. I'm really happy with it. Was worried it would be a pain to get stuff out of it but it is so much easier than taking the old cover on and off. Also all you need to do is undo the gas struts and two bolts and it comes off. Plenty strong enough to stand on as well. If anyone else is after one give Sam a ring.

I still need to do a few finishing touches such as putting on some foam rubber and grinding back the welds/polishing it.

This is Sam's one with the welds smoothed out but not fully polished. After this he gives the whole thing a bit of a sand and finishes with scotchbright pads from memory.

Last edited by Petemcc on Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:26 pm

The steering had been feeling a bit vague and I was thinking it may have been the suspension bushes but when I did the CV I found this

Fixing that made it feed understandably much better however it still wasn't 100%. I spent quite a bit of time with someone wiggling the steering wheel and trying to tighten stuff up then today I found that the steering dampener was a little loose. After tightening that up it now drives really well and has great road manners for how high it is

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:45 pm

Wow it really has been a while since I updated this. Right since I got it on the road I had issues with the a rumble from the gbox when coating at speed under no load or with the clutch in. When the CV went I decided it was time to get round to pulling the box out as well. What a mission that was! I had gearboxes! Found that one of the transfer cases was a bit rumbley so swapped it out for a spare and all was good. Something is starting to get a bit noisy again now though but this time it is under load. Not too sure. Will wait for it to get really bad then might overhaul the box and both transfers at some stage and be done with it hopefully.

a couple of shots with it in pieces

adaptor plate

Sure is a big long bugger

and this is the angle that allows the gbox to slide perfectly into the spigot

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:02 pm

Out with the shotover 4wd club today. The small one is a video...

And doing some work

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:27 pm

and a few more poser shots

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:13 pm

A couple more pics from last weekend out with the club. Really happy with how the suspension works. Nice and smooth with the shocks on soft and the truck sits really flat when all crossed up.

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:05 pm

Real nice looking truck mate.
Nice front bar as well. Built or bought? I'm hoping my bar will end up looking something like that.
Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

tomsoffroad
Flopsie

Postby tomsoffroad » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:20 pm

Checkerhead wrote:Real nice looking truck mate.
Nice front bar as well. Built or bought? I'm hoping my bar will end up looking something like that.

Its one of mine ;)

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:21 pm

tomsoffroad wrote:

Its one of mine ;)

Thought it might have been. And that's great news because it means I can come and have a look at one to copy err I mean, gain inspiration. :wink:
Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

tomsoffroad
Flopsie

Postby tomsoffroad » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:38 pm

Checkerhead wrote:
tomsoffroad wrote:

Its one of mine ;)

Thought it might have been. And that's great news because it means I can come and have a look at one to copy err I mean, gain inspiration. :wink:

Haha imitation is the greatest form of flattery ;)

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:59 pm

Truck is has been going well. Haven't been on too many trips but it has been working hard on our lifestyle towing trailers and winching out the tractor when it gets stuck!

snapped up some 37x14.5x15 creepys yesterday and threw one on a spare 8 inch rim I had. Looks like they won't need too much guard trimming to fit. Still need to flex it up and check the back. pretty sure its they will rub on the chassis at the back, Will have a play in the next few days and decide if I am going to keep them.

Maxxis recommend 15x12s but i am keen to go to 15x10 but am worried they will crown too much. the tread is very high in the middle on the 8 inch rim. Anybody used this size tyre on 10 inch rims?

philux
Hard Yaka

Postby philux » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:32 pm

I had those 37s on the old lux on 10" rims. Cant say I clocked up many k's before I sold it. Found some better pics of it on its rims from the next owner.
http://www.offroadexpress.kiwi/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=20152&p=227703#p227703
Hmmm to build another one lol

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:46 pm

An another year has passed.

Truck has been going pretty well and has had a bit of use. I ended up getting some 15x10's with staun beadlocks for the 37 and fitted them myself which was a bit of a mission. Have had them on for a bit of a play at our section and they only rubbed at full flex. Have clearanced the guards a bit using the BFOH approach but haven't had them back on yet.

The gear box was getting noisy again but this time I suspected it was the gbox input or output bearing rather than the duals. Picked up another box with duals and TG adapter off trademe really cheap and decided to get some low gears for the rear box, rebuild that and then swap it in so the truck wasn't off the road for too long.

Old duals are sitting in the shed if any one is interested in them. I would be keen for them to go to someone in qtwn so I have another truck to crawl up the river with!

So now the old girl is running 23 spline rear case with 4.7 gears. The install was pretty easy really. The instructions from TG were really good. The new box is really nice and quiet too which is nice as it was a bit of a risk being off trademe but it's one of the better ones I have had. Nice smooth changes.

A few photos

eyre creek

37s!

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:04 pm

Cool Pete, them some big shoes.

Is that on your section - looks a bit different now! I could take your duals if you feel like giving them to me.....
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:07 am

NJV6 wrote:Cool Pete, them some big shoes.

Is that on your section - looks a bit different now! I could take your duals if you feel like giving them to me.....

Still got those arb's in the shed?

antsarooney
Hard Yaka

Postby antsarooney » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:32 pm

Do your 37's rub at the front of the rear tyre on the body.

Return to “Projects / Mod's”