Checkerheads new project.

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Re: Checkerheads new project.

Postby rokhound » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:58 pm

holy farking 3 1/2" pipe batman.

Awesome job. Bet the head hurt coming up with that solution fella :wink: 8)
Ugly is a state of mind..... and the state of my truck!

crazyclark31
Hard Yaka

Postby crazyclark31 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:29 pm

have to say that's a pretty cool idea.
This thing is going to be pretty damn cool.
Keep it up :mrgreen:

muskie
Hard Yaka

Postby muskie » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:07 am

coming along nicely, alot of different jobs going on all at once.. i get all confused if i do that and end up using steel allocated for other jobs and cant finish 2 jobs :roll: :roll: good work.

shortylux
Hard Yaka

Postby shortylux » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:25 pm

Yeah I'm trying to do everything such that I can take the body off to do various jobs and not have to take it off again. So I'm all over the show really.

I was NOT expecting to have to trim the guards this much.

suzukisport
Hard Yaka

Postby suzukisport » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:38 pm

Awesome work, its looking really good.
Its going to be a pretty sweet truck 8)
Comp rig: Suzuki Vitara, L67 Supercharged V6 Commie and auto, Prado chassis and diffs. Gigglepin 8274 twin motor rear mounted winch, air free spools, 35" Silverstones, ect

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:54 pm

Very cool project

shortylux wrote:Yeah I considered using the tail gate and keeping the wind down rear window, but damn those things are heavy!

My friend did this to his but as a double cab, window still worked and all (obviously not right down because of the wheel arches) and it looked a little strange, I imagine would look even stranger as a single cab

edit: found the pic:
-------------------------------------------------
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

shortylux
Hard Yaka

Postby shortylux » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:41 pm

With that tray on there I actually think it looks alright. Mine wont look that tidy, but I just didn't want weight for the sake of it.

Now, following DB's awesome example of providing progress pics.
Here is before

And after.

Madaz
Hard Yaka

Postby Madaz » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:17 pm

Better pull ur finger out if you want to race it on the 24th......... :lol: :lol:

shortylux
Hard Yaka

Postby shortylux » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:47 pm

Not sure if this is progress or not. It sure was a mission. Couldn't get the cab high enough to roll the chassis out underneath it. Stupid shock towers.

shortylux
Hard Yaka

Postby shortylux » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:14 pm

Spent the whole weekend in the garage. Feels like I achieved very little, but it's all progress.

Saturday was all tidying and welding on the bottom side of the floor pan. Nothing worth a photo.

Sunday started with a call form Dave (Isuzumudman) saying he was in Rotorua and they had an 80 series with a snapped panhard that needed to drive back to Auckland. It was an odd panhard, had a 90 bend in it (certed) and had snapped at the bend. V'd it out, welded it up and welded in a gusset. Not real pretty but it sure wasn't going to break on the trip home.

Then started messing around with my seat. Was planning to cut the runners off my surf seat and use them on my race seat. Then I noticed the angle adjustment on the surf runners. So I cut the metal frame of this
Cut and measured a bit. Welded it to my race seat mounts and ended up with this.
Obviously needs a proper coat of paint, but not yet.

Then I looked at my transfer case. This is my 4wd/2wd selector. I don't have any linkage or levers etc. Don't know what they look like. Also, due to the cruiser/gq drive shaft adaptor, I'm pretty tight on space.
So I stole this off my winch freespool.
Made this ugly little bracket (was very tempted just to weld to the selector shaft)
and ended up with this.

That's it for now.

shortylux
Hard Yaka

Postby shortylux » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:52 pm

Pictureless update.

I haven't really done anything. Between a week away skiing, working on Benny's truck for cert/Taupo 1000 and helping to organise the Rotorua winch challenge, I just haven't been in the garage.

Started sorting out water pipes for the rear mount rad.
Started on the transfer case mounts (it was just sitting on some RHS welded to the chassis)

Have had a bit of a change of direction on two things.
One, I'm not sure that running the original fuel tank in the original position will work as well as I imagined. Too long and too low? Might put the electric winch there instead. Maybe run a 40l fuel cell. Thought's on this are welcome.
Two, I think I will solid mount the cab. As said earlier, it makes a few things easier (also makes my flash rear shock hoops somewhat pointless).

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:00 pm

I like that seat mount.might have too copy that bit...
modified surf, hardly drive it seem to keep modifying it....

shortylux
Hard Yaka

Postby shortylux » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:42 pm

Finally got a couple of evenings in the garage.

Transfercase mounts and crossmember 80% done.

shortylux
Hard Yaka

Postby shortylux » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:12 pm

I made a high clearance cross member.
(damn it, I appear to have clearanced the wrong side. Oh well)

Then added a gear box mount to it and bolted it up.
Not the most imaginative or pretty mount. It will work. Really unsatisfying though. There will be more stuff to fill up the space either side.

Spent way to long making a basic seat mount for the passenger and then finished off the driver side one. Only got a pic of passengers outside
Image rail.

Then stood the cab up so I could do some welding.

Also sorted out doubler plates and captive nuts for the seats and belts as per LVV requirements. These are the plates. I tied both belt mounts and the drivers side seat mount together, cause I could.

And finally I wiped some urethane around and sprayed some primer. Will probably have to work on some of these bits again, but have already wire wheeled the whole lot once and let it get surface rust on it. Not this time.

shortylux
Hard Yaka

Postby shortylux » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:35 pm

On thursday night I started looking at where my radiator pipes were going to run. And concluded that it was impossible.

On Friday night I just started building something to see how it went. It started to look possible.

I spent most of the weekend build these pipes. The plumbing will look something like this.

Went to Repco Te Ngae (very helpful) on Sunday and got a few hoses. The red pipe in this pic is the front silver one form the above pic, a little more complete.

Then started figuring out how I need to change the collector on the exhaust pipe. This is tight but should work.

Monday night I pulled the supercharger etc off and cleaned up a bit.

And finally tonight I welded up the exhaust collector. A long way to go before I can get a job at Tom's offroad, but it's functional. Starting to think a tig (and skill to use) would be really nice. Be good not to have to grind back my ugly mig welds for the sake of aesthetics.

and removed the motor and box so I can weld home the engine mounts and finish up some other welding and fab at the front.

That's it for now. Aim is to have all the major underbody fab sorted in the next two weeks so that I can sit the cab back on, hopefully for the last time.

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:47 pm

Looking good! My two cents, I recently brought a tig, and am loving it to be honest. Haven't done huge amounts with it, but steel seems to be straight forward. Ally well.....
But yea not having to clean up after myself is good.
modified surf, hardly drive it seem to keep modifying it....

shortylux
Hard Yaka

Postby shortylux » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:14 pm

Time for an update I guess.

Invested some coin in my chassis.
welding up some of the four million holes that the factory seemed to think were needed.

Then re-made transfer stick mount. The ETS drift ute inspired me to use some tube and leave it with some nice shiney heat marks. Still no tig though.

Then it was time to play the cab back on game.
[URL=http://s269.photobucket.com/user/shortylux/media/Hilux%20Round%20Two/20131024_190040_zps30316b21.jpg.html]
[URL=http://s269.photobucket.com/user/shortylux/media/Hilux%20Round%20Two/20131024_185431_zps15a4f178.jpg.html]Image
[URL=http://s269.photobucket.com/user/shortylux/media/Hilux%20Round%20Two/20131024_203145_zps1af9c013.jpg.html]Image

Then it was time to start on the gear lever mounting. You would not believe the amount of time this sucked up. I decided it needed to sit 50mm above my trans tunnel, and that a spacer of any sort would look stupid. So I re-made a section of tunnel, which meant doing this.

Then I got to this point and started mucking around with the actual shifter. Figuring out where I wanted it vs where it could go. This involved many re-shapes of the arm (off the bottom of the shifter) that works the linkage.

Turns out that if I wanted to have the shifter in the "right place" and I wanted the seat to be able to slide al the way forwards and the transmission to stay where it was and for shit not to hit, it was quite tight. I ended up with this Aztec pyramid type trans tunnel section.

Then after about 20 hours (maybe more) I finally ended up with this.

Crazy how much time that took. Obviously still a ways to go.

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:19 am

:lol: tis the small things that take so much time, but they are the things that make a toy stand out :wink: they are also the things that if you spend the time to get right you never have to visit again

Nice work

Batfastard
Dr. Love Glove

Postby Batfastard » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:27 pm

De-Ranged wrote::lol: tis the small things that take so much time, but they are the things that make a toy stand out :wink: they are also the things that if you spend the time to get right you never have to visit again

Nice work

You are so right

Clint
Hard Yaka

Postby Clint » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:54 am

shortylux wrote: I ended up with this Aztec pyramid type trans tunnel section.

Are you going to sacrifice any virgins on it? :lol:

I hear ya on the amount of hrs stuff can take, the best part of a long weekend & a couple of evenings saw 2 upper rear suspension mounts made & tacked on my chassis...

Cheers
Clint
UZJ71 Landcruiser
Jeep J20 - 1UZ-FE powered (part owner)
KTM 640

If it breaks, build it stronger.
If it doesn't break, drive it harder.

shortylux
Hard Yaka

Postby shortylux » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:59 am

Clint wrote:
Are you going to sacrifice any virgins on it?

I certainly hope to!

GQTROL
Hard Yaka

Postby GQTROL » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:24 pm

shortylux wrote:
Clint wrote:Are you going to sacrifice any virgins on it?

I certainly hope to!

You live in Rotorua now don't you? So you might have difficulty finding some.

Great build thread however!

shortylux
Hard Yaka

Postby shortylux » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:07 pm

I guess it's time for an update.

Have mounted a blower (fan) under the dash and made a manifold so that it blows straight up through a heater core and out the vents on the windscreen. Also sorted it so the coey gets hot air out his vent (so he doesn't die during winter winch comps)

I decided to start on some wiring. Spent a week of evenings de-looming the surf loom before deciding farrrk this! :x To hard. All I want from the loom is lights and instruments. So I cut all the wires off the cluster and the steering wheel. I will start from scratch. Later.

So then I started working on power feeds and relays and the like. Decided to build a fuse/switch panel (So I can reach switches while harnessed in the seat)
Also made an isolated stud that comes through the trans tunnel behind the switch panel. Goes from the bat to the kill switch then to this. One stud on the bottom for bat lead to bolt to.
Two studs on the inside for ECU, Ignition etc to bolt to.

Then wanted to run a wire to my battery. Where shall I mount the battery?
Turns out to make this decision I need to know what shape the fuel tank will be and where exactly it will go. Which means I need to know how wide the electric winch drum will be and exactly where it will mount. Which means I need to think about where the exhaust will go and where the rope for the PTO winch will go. Just to run a gosh darn wire!

So I have folded up a fuel tank.
Still to be assembled and welded (hope my Tig work improves fast!). I am undecided on what to do for a fuel cap.Also sorting out fuel hose/fittings/filters/pumps etc etc.

Cut my winch drum in half (was previously two winches joined at the drum, ie a gearbox and motor on either end) as I want to run a single motor elec winch. Then got the drum sorted so I could get a bearing in the end of the drum. Still need to make an ear for the end of the drum but the winch is mostly mounted. Will beef up the mounts once the cab is permanently in place.

I have sussed out where the battery will go, but after all that I cant make the mount until the cab is permanently in place. With that in mind I started thing about what has to happen before I weld the cab down. Have painted the bottom of the cab with hammerite.

Today I wanted to finish my radiator piping. After much thinking I have done the piping in a temporary manner. Reason being that after a bit of running around I may find that I want to add an electric water pump in to the system and my sway bar may affect the final water piping layout.
Last edited by shortylux on Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shortylux
Hard Yaka

Postby shortylux » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:19 pm

Added some pics to the last post.

Questions.

1) Got any good ideas on a fuel cap/filler for my aluminium tank?
2) Is 3/8 bundy tube plenty for the fuel feed for (hopefully) 250kw at the wheels?
3) Has anyone got any suggestions re what fuel pump to use? Was planning on a tried and tested Bosch 044.

DMcCready
Hard Yaka

Postby DMcCready » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:31 pm

This is what Im thinking of using for the aluminium cell Im putting in my buggy. Looks like a nice unit.

http://vpw.com.au/Category/Index/51624
There's gotta be some rocks round here SOMEWHERE!

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:57 pm

shortylux wrote:3) Has anyone got any suggestions re what fuel pump to use? Was planning on a tried and tested Bosch 044.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/fuel-systems/auction-679033241.htm
Ive got a walbro intank job and I would get this one now instead as they apparently are an awesome pump.. not sure if you want an intank one but I would go to the trouble to put it in.. less of everything and better reliability..

shortylux
Hard Yaka

Postby shortylux » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:05 pm

I have planned it just to use an external pump. No lift pump as I have built a 2.5 litre sump on the bottom of my tank. I did look at internals but it all looked to hard (when I can easily have a gravity feed surge tank).

I like the idea of a quiet, cool and clean internal pump though. Damn it.

shortylux
Hard Yaka

Postby shortylux » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:31 pm

Well after missing my first deadline, I figured I was on track to have this thing driving by the end of March. Unfortunately I will miss that as well due to a rash decision over the last week to enrol at the University Cantebury.

As such I am having a garage clean out, some free stuff, some I want money for. Prado arms, Surf Axle, Alternators, Radiators etc.
http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/Forums/ ... 15&t=39147

So, I maybe looking for a garage to build a truck in. Not sure if I can take the truck to the house in New Brighton that I'm moving to. I wont be able to offer much in terms of dollars (being a broke arse student) but if someone has garage space and wants to work on their own project, I can provide a welder, pipe bender, grinder and heaps of hand tools.

On the up side I will get to meet some of you Chch wheelers. Hopefully Rok will take his truck out some time in the 4 years I will be based there. Be great to see it in action.

callum007
Hard Yaka

Postby callum007 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:15 pm

shortylux wrote: Hopefully Rok will take his truck out some time in the 4 years

Rather Unlikely! :roll: :lol:
Dont follow me. i'll get stuck and need a tow..

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:51 pm

Dude, I am an east side boy as well, (just sth of NB). You may may be able to motivate me to do the last few bits and fix the broken shit to get it out for a skid. I have some space in the work yard to park your beast, but is doesn't have power or services, so it may not be ideal.

Oh, and at onenut, sex and travel ya farker :mrgreen:
Ugly is a state of mind..... and the state of my truck!

Return to “Projects / Mod's”