Hiace Super Custom 4x4 project

ClanFever
Driver/Navigator

Hiace Super Custom 4x4 project

Postby ClanFever » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:19 pm

Got this last weekend

It's a bit rubbish at off roading if I'm brutally honest. I'm not entirely certain how the 4wd system works, it's part time push button. Don't know whether it actually locks the center diff or not. The tyres are skinny and small and it sinks easily. Looking at fitting some 31s but not sure whether they'll fit. Also wanting to put in an LSD as the open is terrible.

I have this as well

Just a rusty toy really, by no chance will the lsd fit in the hiace? I highly doubt it but it'd be a free lsd for me.

Gonna try and get the hiace up to a point where it'll clear red rocks with ease and never get me stuck on a beach. I'm not a diehard rallywoods goer but I do want to be able to do some of the easier tracks at some stage.
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE), 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, 1997 Sprinter Carib
Past (only 4x4's due to character limit): '90 Hiace Super Custom Part Time 4x4, '94 Pajero, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '92 Terrano, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero

zed
Hard Yaka

Re: Hiace Super Custom 4x4 project

Postby zed » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:42 pm

Check the build plate under the seat in the hiace for the axle code. If it's a G series then you can get an lsd from a surf or hilux to fit. Highly doubtful the Mitsi lsd will come close to fitting. I put a tightly shimmed lsd in my 2wd 3.0DT hiace lwb...made roundabouts fun in the wet when it was empty... :lol:

Also if it's Gxxx then you can fit an autolocker or an airlocker for better traction.

Ground clearance will never be amazing with all the forward control bits under the front, unless you do a serious lift, and fitting tyres will encounter the same limitations only solvable by lifting. The Mitsi L300 4wd vans were a bit easier for modifying.

Although as with anything different...throw enough money at it and anything's possible ;-)

unnamed (16).jpg
IFS all the way...go the mark 1 Pajero!

basics
Hard Yaka

Postby basics » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:59 pm

interesting, il be keeping an eye on this thread, keep the updates coming
99 pajero exceed 3.2

mudsurfv6
Hard Yaka

Postby mudsurfv6 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:03 pm

for years I've fancied turning a super custom into a safari wagon, suspension lift, 31" simexs, winch bar, rear bar & sliders, snorkel. maybe one day.
1996 vzn185 surf, TRD supercharger, SAS, 35s, 4" lift, 2 lockers, ute chopped + more happening. Andrew 0272226292.

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:46 pm

what size are current tires?
One of the main problems with these off road, is hooking up the corners of the front bumber on obstacles(ie approach angle) so any increase in tyre size and suspension height will be a help. Next investigate a bumper removal/replace(with bar) or trim it.

ClanFever
Driver/Navigator

Postby ClanFever » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:07 am

Thanks for the tips guys looks like I've found the right place for a build thread :)

It currently has 215/70/15s on atm or you could call them 26's. Got some 275/70/15s or I've measured them to be 30s and hoping they'll fit on the current rims. I've done a quick measure they should fit inside the guards but not sure about what it'll be like with suspension travel or putting lock on the front tyres...

Will have to check the chassis code I'm definitely getting a lsd to fit no doubt. It has manual hubs at the front. Has a low range lever. Push button 4wd not sure what it actually does like I said will have to go to the beach and do some stand stills see what digs in. I'm a toyota fanboy and I have like a fetish with interiors xD (well you spend most of the time there...) so what better way then getting a van which is basically all interior? Keen for a manual conversion one day maybe with a 1kz but the auto 3L (2.8L) will do for now. Off road mods first
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE), 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, 1997 Sprinter Carib
Past (only 4x4's due to character limit): '90 Hiace Super Custom Part Time 4x4, '94 Pajero, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '92 Terrano, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:22 am

most people who get stuck on sand havent deflated their tires. fact!
The 275s will go better on sand than the 215s IMO.
keep factory rims(or at least factory offset) for least clearance hassles when turning.
will be interesting to see what front diff you have, I'm picking you have an 8 inch in the rear, so a hilux/hiace lsd will bolt right in.
I imagine you will want sliders (bars under- and slightly outwards from- the sills) to stop the panelwork scraping along the sides of the banks/ruts at rallywoods.

Gyxx
Hard Yaka

Postby Gyxx » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:57 am

Hey dude.

Nice purchase, I'll be following your thread if you decide to do it up. The 4WD vans will never be ultimate off-road performers because of their design; like others have said, ultimately they're limited by their angles and whenever you see a modified one under-body bash protection (particularly at the front) seems to be a pretty big feature. Having said that though as for a vehicle that will get you out and about to see this great country of ours without having to stop where the tarmac ends, cart all your gear around and provide you with a place to kip, you couldn't do much better.

If yours is a part time 4WD it won't have a center differential, it'll have a transfer case. I have no idea which type but I'd guess the good folks at Toyota probably raided the Hilux parts bin for it rather than anything else.

There's tons of van sites out there with a heap of good design ideas for the interior; from camper layouts with folding everything to hippy-mobiles with shag carpet and disco-balls. There's also a Facebook group for Hiace Super Custom fans if you're into Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/HIACE-SU ... 5514383497

LIke Zed said above; throw enough money at it and anythings possible... Have a search around the net and on some of the overseas 4WD forums and you'll probably be able to find out how much they can be raised to obtain clearance to fit larger tyres before you have to start spending silly money.

Have fun and once you start getting 'out dere, doin it' or modifying it keep the pictures rolling...

ClanFever
Driver/Navigator

Postby ClanFever » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:32 am

Done a bit of research on how the 4wd button works, is it a vaccum solenoid? It seems to be stupidly temperamental with it actually engaging on and off. My question is leaving it in 4wd mode, will that do any damage to the gearbox and drivetrain through wind up? Keep in mind it has manual front hubs which I won't have engaged while on the road, and it will have an lsd at some point.

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:39 am

The mitsi has a 9" rear diff, and like others have said, I'm pretty sure your Van will have the 8" (hilux) rear diff. So Would be some clever engineering to make it fit.

Assuming you could get matching diff ratios, you could possibly swap the whole rear axle in? But that isn't exactly going to save you money.
Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

Gardengnome
Truck Hore

Postby Gardengnome » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:49 pm

Welcome aboard,

I used to have a 4wd supercustom part time 4wd and was surprised where it would go but you will be forever wishing for ground clearance.

The 4wd system:
AS mentioned above it is a transfer case and does not have a centre diff. Operating it on tarmac in 4wd will bind the system up. I had this in a heavy snow dump in Chch a while back. Needed 4wd to get going through snow and when off the snow it was not slippery enough and it bound up and took a bit to get it to release.

Tyres:
We had 215/70/15 on ours and found that fitting chains made things a bit tight on the front. The tyre size you are looking at I think could be hit and miss and chains would not be an option. A slight lift might change things.

You can get snorkles for these but cannot find the part number. I looked overseas but never found a source for one.

I was always wanting to put an LSD in and do more touring in our van but then moved up to a KZJ78 and upped the level of tracks tackled. But I do miss the load carrying capacity.

Best of luck and happy trails. Phil.
Attachments
snorkle.JPG

Gyxx
Hard Yaka

Postby Gyxx » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:48 pm

ClanFever
Driver/Navigator

Postby ClanFever » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:57 pm

Not a lot of progress since last post. Saving for a house so projects have to take a back burner xD

Current mods in progress once I find parts cheap or in need are: bigger or better off road tyres, rear LSD, snorkel, raise it (possibly without any aftermarket parts, just whats there + bigger tyres will raise it) and just removing catch points like the corners and silly stuff like the mudguards (hold onto them for wofs).

Here's an old photo taken a couple months of back of venturing up to rallywoods

Also first attempt at clearing a small obstacle and this happened

Neds more high!!!!

ClanFever
Driver/Navigator

Postby ClanFever » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:24 pm

Time and money still being an issue not much has changed. I did take it out to ocean beach and gave it a good thrashing through some of the mini paths and up the side of what looks like a historic slip. It did well. Got some spacers on the way for the fronts to give it some more stability. Going to see what tyres I can get on it. Don't need anything too big just want grippy. Possibly a higher profile to give it a bit of lift. Have removed the mudguards so there's something less to catch. Hit a tree or stump or something which broke off my number plate surround, bent my number plate and has pushed the bumper slightly which means opening the door fully is harder. Wanting to put a bullbar up front and do something about the corners of the bumper. Or wait until it gets ripped off then worry about it (don't fix what isn't broken, then if it does fix it so it doesn't break again)

2 softroaders at work

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:28 pm

Good on ya for getting it out and about,
It does look out of place in the mud, but hey that's what you bought it for.
My first 4wd was an early dDelica 4x4 van. It surprised me how far it was able to go with a little work. I ran 31 inch tyres on it from memory

Gyxx
Hard Yaka

Postby Gyxx » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:11 pm

Yeah - good to see you doing it mate. That's more important than what you're doing it with or what extra flash bits are bolted to it... Call me mad but I've always fancied one of those Russian GAZ 4WD vans...

ClanFever
Driver/Navigator

Postby ClanFever » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:30 pm

Gyxx wrote:Yeah - good to see you doing it mate. That's more important than what you're doing it with or what extra flash bits are bolted to it... Call me mad but I've always fancied one of those Russian GAZ 4WD vans...

Yeah plus the guy I usually go with, Jonny who has the x-trail in the pictures, it's not like he has anything too capable either so it's more fun if we both get stuck sometimes!!

Awesome!!

ClanFever
Driver/Navigator

Postby ClanFever » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:16 am

Vans transfer case seems to be stuck in 4wd mode. I usually unwind it with locking hubs locked, and drive it in reverse on a slippery surface. If I wait till a non slip surface it doesn't unlock and I accidentally did this yesterday. Is there anything else I can do to unwind it? Unwinding it on a slippery surface seems silly, cause then you might not be able to get back onto the non slip surface. If it is locked in 4wd mode and my front hubs are unlocked, is this okay for the time being to prevent any more windup?

Clint
Hard Yaka

Postby Clint » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:08 am

Not sure on the specifics of the Hiace transfer box but if your hubs are out (& have actually disconnected) then there is no way you can have any windup. It could be a shifter issue.

Cheers
Clint
UZJ71 Landcruiser
Jeep J20 - 1UZ-FE powered (part owner)
KTM 640

If it breaks, build it stronger.
If it doesn't break, drive it harder.

ClanFever
Driver/Navigator

Postby ClanFever » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:01 pm

It seems to be an on and off problem. I think it winds up too easily (almost like it grips too well on even slightly gravely surfaces) so I may need to hit the transfer case button sooner. Only problem is I might get stuck, then have to engage it again and have it wind up enough to not unstick. Hmmmm

Had a customer come into work today with a fulltime 4wd one, looked great, had 235/75/15s on the same rims I have. Going to have to try get them to fit. He said something about the driveshafts (axles) having the cvs split after doing so, something I'll have to look out for.

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:52 pm

Just a thought
Any body done any work on the diffs? Possibly fitted wrong ratio

Are all your tyres identical? If not that will create trans wind up.
Ditto on tyre pressure

nzlux
Hard Yaka

Postby nzlux » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:10 pm

My ln106 hilux was hard to get out of of 4wd, and that was before I put front and rear auto lockers in, I use to try reverse etc to no avail.

I then figured out the way to unwind the transfer case was to drive with the front wheels straight ahead, even with my lockers this method works everytime

ClanFever
Driver/Navigator

Postby ClanFever » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:40 pm

SMOKEY
Hard Yaka

Postby SMOKEY » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:16 pm

Did the motor get thirsty and have a drink ? drinking to quickly will cause hic ups and hic ups turn into cramps and bad cramps bend your internals followed by not to unusual noises a bit like you have described. At the worst I would say you have bent a con rod, any excessive exercise will end up with an extremely bad fracture that will protrude through the block. I recommend immediate surgery as Disprin and rest won't help.

Dr FITZY.

PS:- Check your air cleaner the answer may be in there.

ClanFever
Driver/Navigator

Postby ClanFever » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:19 pm

Haha cheers for that, nah hasn't been swimming. Would blocked air really make it knock?

Suza
Hard Yaka

Postby Suza » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:02 am

ClanFever wrote:Unfortunately guys, I've got to sell it.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1016392664&ed=true

Small suggestion for you is think carefully about the pics you put on TM a van with suspected engine issues and pics of it being driven off-road may not help your cause in getting the best money you can

ClanFever
Driver/Navigator

Postby ClanFever » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:50 am

Suza wrote:
ClanFever wrote:Unfortunately guys, I've got to sell it.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1016392664&ed=true

Small suggestion for you is think carefully about the pics you put on TM a van with suspected engine issues and pics of it being driven off-road may not help your cause in getting the best money you can

I guess I just wanted to show its capabilities, but you are right. I removed the worst ones. Thanks for that.

Not entirely sure what I want now. 4x4ing is fun, but not really good to do with your daily. So I guess I'll be looking out for a cheap banga to keep doing what I love in. I do also want my daily to be a 4x4 as I love sitting up high and urban off roading is awesome, but it's all a matter of $$

SMOKEY
Hard Yaka

Postby SMOKEY » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:34 pm

No a blocked air cleaner won't make it knock but the air cleaner should show if it has swallowed water. In your photos it shows the van has been in water even puddles and it's very easy for them to get water into the intake and it only takes half a cup of water into the cylinder to hydraulic a piston and this will bend a con rod. Not saying this is what has happened but it's a could have. If you have your not the first and won't be the last.

FITZY.

Return to “Projects / Mod's”