The Gen 4 Paj

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Re: The Gen 4 Paj

Postby NJV6 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:21 pm

Yea man, the 285’s are more probably a)they were cheap b)I had the rims c) I wanted to see if they’d fit d) epic diff clearance e)why the heck not!

I just had the bfgs on for this trip as they are tough as boots on sharp rocks but yea they are dam hard riding. 22 pound on a 2.6 ton Paj hardly bulged. And have got noisy on the road.
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:23 pm

so is that an aftermarket intercooler kit that you installed or is it all custom? If it is custom, I can see it would've taken much planning and trial and error.
And yes-that is a strange place for a factory cooler. Not surprised it got bent.

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:37 pm

Yes it’s aftermarket and took quite a bit to develop as the pipe work for tjm and safari snorkels are different and this kit was manufactured to work with either snorkel. I followed the development of it in ozzy and got one of the first ones at a so called introductory price :lol:
Jonny tig intercoolers.
The factory one is down there to try and get airflow and space, this one goes where the factory auto trans cooler goes.

aroma
Hard Yaka

Postby aroma » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:56 pm

Looking Good Glen,
What I stated at the start is coming to fruition ...slowly :)
Is the Ultragauge MX working out ok, any idea if it would work in a JEEP ? not the one I drove out of that shed many years ago

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:39 pm

The Ultragauge has been brilliant, I find I use the Speedo on it more than the dials. If Your Jeep has an OBD2 plug then it'll work.

And yea, it was never going to remain standard!

crazydragon
Hard Yaka

Postby crazydragon » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:58 pm

Hi, just wondering if you still have this Gen 4 Paj? I'm looking at getting one but hate those factory wheels. I like what you did with your wheel upgrade! Are those Triton alloys 17x7.5? Why do you need the 1.5mm spacers? Where is it hitting the calipers? The rim of the wheel or the spokes of the wheel?

I test drove one today and it was extremely noisy. Unsure if it's normal or something wrong with it. I noticed it's a lot of road noise or drive train noise which is far louder than the engine noise. Is this normal? Coming from a 100 series LandCruiser I wasn't sure what to expect with Monocoque body.

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:04 am

Hi, yes I do still have it. The spacer is to clear the front brakes.

They are a bit noisier on the road compared to anything with a chassis, even an old second gen pajero is quieter but you do hear more engine noise in an older one. I wouldnt go as far as unplesant but its all tyre noise. What sort of tyres were on it and how worn?

Unfortunately its a trade off with the unibody design, road tyres are ok but an aggressive AT or poorly made MT are the worst for noise. I run an aggressive AT and keep them rotated often to minimise noise but its the biggest bugbear for what is an exceptional vehicle and value for money. You will definitely notice the noise coming from a 100, or a prado of the same era. But show it a hill or a windy bit of rough road you there is no way they will catch you!, the bonus of IRS and unibody, they don't feel like a 2.5 ton vehicle.

Return to “Projects / Mod's”