The "Going to buy some 4x4s" Project

ClanFever
Driver/Navigator

The "Going to buy some 4x4s" Project

Postby ClanFever » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:22 pm

Hi team

I've recently managed to cross one of the biggest hurdles in adulting - purchasing a house. I had to keep away from 4x4s to help make it a reality. Now that it has happened, I am going to try focus on getting both me, and the girlfriend, a couple 4x4s. And this time, not cheap ones, that is all I have dealt with in the past, and they've all gone to sh*t!

I'm not going to rush into buying anything for us, mostly as we're still saving, so we can at least put some $$ down and not have it all on tick. What I can do in the mean time, is do some good research to make sure we are getting the vehicles we want.

I am wanting to purchase a XJ10 Toyota FJ-Cruiser, in Medium Blue (the ones that come with a blue dashboard). I have noted that they virtually don't come in Manual, is this basically true? Is there anything else to note with these 4x4s? They seem to be coming down in price as well, you can pick them up for 25K now

The Girlfriend basically just wants a 4x4 Ute in Purple. She can drive Manual but will want to stick with Auto, as it will be her daily driver. We are Toyota lovers so a Hilux is basically a no brainer. Are there any generations to avoid, or even more importantly, are there generations we MUST have? I think one with an intercooled 1KZ would be preferred. Or are we blind with our Toyota love, and there's something else out there that is even better? I'm digging the 2016 Isuzu D-MAX's we have at work.

Thanks all
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE), 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, 1997 Sprinter Carib
Past (only 4x4's due to character limit): '90 Hiace Super Custom Part Time 4x4, '94 Pajero, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '92 Terrano, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero

Clint
Hard Yaka

Re: The "Going to buy some 4x4s" Project

Postby Clint » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:02 am

Much as I dig the looks of the FJ Cruiser, it's worth remembering that they are basically just a V6 Prado with a different body.

I'd have to REALLY need a ute before I'd buy one if shopping used, you pay such a massive premium for anything with a tray, plus more again if it's a Hilux or Ranger.

Cheers
Clint
UZJ71 Landcruiser
Jeep J20 - 1UZ-FE powered (part owner)
KTM 640

If it breaks, build it stronger.
If it doesn't break, drive it harder.

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:57 am

very rare to see a blue one for sale from what I've seen. And people still want 30-35K for them too.
Alternatives are, a 2003 Surf diesel for $21K on trademe currently, or you can buy a real nice prado for $25K. But not in the Blue colour you like!

ClanFever
Driver/Navigator

Postby ClanFever » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:13 pm

Thanks for the tips. I'm happy to wait for the right one to come up, regarding the FJ. It is a mix between loving the looks, and getting myself a 4x4 that isn't just run of the mill. As for getting something with a Tray that is a Hilux, we would be paying a premium when we could just get another 4x4 for her, so we will have to discuss and see what is best.
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE), 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, 1997 Sprinter Carib
Past (only 4x4's due to character limit): '90 Hiace Super Custom Part Time 4x4, '94 Pajero, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '92 Terrano, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero

Return to “Projects / Mod's”