The Big Chop

Rangerat
Hard Yaka

The Big Chop

Postby Rangerat » Tue Mar 25, 2003 4:28 pm

The Big Chop

After many years of Rangie ownership I had had enough of getting hooked up on the rear overhang (it didn't happen often but just enough to get me stuck), plus the back end was starting to show the signs of getting bashed around. (bent quarter panels, tailgate rubbing on the quarter panels, fuel filler panel sticking out etc.)
I had built a replacement rear bumper some time ago that wrapped around the corners, and although this provided a bit of protection the back end was still getting a hiding.
The first thing I looked at doing was a Bobtail, and I collected a fair bit of info on it.
After a lot of reading, looking at the Rangie and deep thought, I decided a Bobtail was just going to be to hard, lining up the rear frame mounts anf frame looked like it would get interesting, cutting and rejoining the roof, new glass, new fuel tank moved the bobtail into the to much hassle category.(plus it left panels and lights open to damage) Next up was a bobtail pickup but this had the same cons.

Then I saw a picture of a Flatdeck (thanks Bodgerover) and the problems were solved.(I hope)
<center>
Image</center>
Converting the Rangie to a flatdeck will hopefully achieve every thing I am after, improved departure angle, usefull load carrying, no rear palnels to damage and I reckon it looks better than a bobtail (something just don't seem right about them to me)
I worked out a plan of attack, talked to people about fabrication and certifacation and with all the ducks in a row (and the wife semi on side) the chop could start.

Day 1
First up was the removeal of everything I could unbolt behind the doors, guards, quarter panels, tail gates, carpet seat etc..
<center>
[url=http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/modules.php?set_albumName=album05&id=guards_and_windows_gone&op=modload&name=Gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php]
[/url]
</center>
This only took around half a day and was simple and straightforward. The only small problem was the 2 screws on the L/H upper tialgate hinge that I had to drill out (siezed in)
The bonus was I found no rust anywhere!!!!!!
I now had a pile of parts and a half naked Rangie.
At this stage I could still put it back together again.
Time for a coffee and a smoke while sitting in the shed thinking should or shouldn't I.

<center>
[url=http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/modules.php?set_albumName=album05&id=RH_side_strip&op=modload&name=Gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php]
[/url]
</center>

Watch this space.
(Click images for bigger pictures or go <a href="modules.php?set_albumName=album05&op=modload&name=Gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php">here</a>)

Rangerat

lilpigzuk
Tiger Balm

Postby lilpigzuk » Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:19 am

Hi Rat

Pulled the guts out of mine in the weekend, wish I could say the same about the lack of rust!!!!!! Not a pretty picture mine :? Was primarily used as a fishing toy Im guessing judging by the amount of sand I removed from between the rear side panels and body shell!!! Lots of dodgy patches tacked in the rear from previous owner, love to know who he used for his WOF's, holes the size of your palm in a couple of places.....
Cant wait for next weekend with the angle grinder though :D

cheers
Rex

Rangerat
Hard Yaka

Postby Rangerat » Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:42 am

I see a fleet of flat deck Rangies prowling the country (what a dream)

Give me a yell if you have any questions.

Rat

Bodge
Hard Yaka

Postby Bodge » Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:04 pm

Rex where in NZ are you?
The three position Lucas switch - Dim, Flicker and Off.http://home.off-road.com/~bodgerover/

lilpigzuk
Tiger Balm

Postby lilpigzuk » Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:06 am

South Auckland.......

Bodge
Hard Yaka

Postby Bodge » Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:55 am

Keep us up to date on your progress - i would be interested to swing by at some key stages to see how its all going....
The three position Lucas switch - Dim, Flicker and Off.http://home.off-road.com/~bodgerover/

Return to “Projects / Mod's”