Cleaning ORE up, or shutting it down

mike
Last minute Mike

Cleaning ORE up, or shutting it down

Postby mike » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:45 pm

[eidt - - Just vote by repling please, voting is broken badly for some stupid reason. --]

This is a serious vote, so please don't stand on the sidelines.

Ok its time we make a decision to clean the site up or shut it down for good.

Moving forward:

Step 1) everyone reads the guidelines I posted earlier and starts to try and obey them. Most important thing is that you read your post before you hit submit, make a cup of tea if its in response to someones post you disagree with. If you were at a pub would you start of by ripping into them? they most likely would deck you. Realistically you would never respond that way anyway, so here should be no different.

Step 2) If your not a know it all and have a question then try googling first, searching for at least 5-10mins using varying search phrases then post up your question. If a question is posted usually its because they don't know the answer no matter how stupid it is, I do say 'usually' though. If its obvious they are trolling or being a f'wit then notify a moderator, do not respond no matter how tempting it may be. Just report the thread. Its more work for the moderators but it keeps the site operating just like other 4wd forums throughout the world.

Step3) If your an old time 4wder who knows a lot of shit and does a lot of good tech then post it up. If you sit back and laugh at some noobs mods because he posted up tech on a body lift and you were at the point 20 years ago, then lets see what your up to? don't want to show? don't expect respect then if you never show anything. Don't be afraid of other experienced 4wders flaming your tech, they aren't allowed to anymore, just like your not allowed to flame noobs stuff, and noobs arnt allowed to flame your stuff. The more tech that gets posted up, the more people will talk about various stuff, instead of how it currently is, one piece gets posted up and everyone puts their 2c in no matter what, which turns ORE into nz's biggest forum on a body lift, which equals complete and utter rubbish and shouldn't be on the f'ing internet.

Step 4) If you think ORE is rubbish then put your hand up to become a moderator and help turn the site around. The site needs moderators. Just like clubs need a committee to keep things in order, this forum needs moderators to keep things in check. Only long time members of ORE will be accepted as moderators due to iterations of the current crap on the site that they have weathered over the years, and thus know what should not be tolerated. Each moderator will only be granted moderation through the approval of existing moderators. Moderators have to abide by certain rules and don't have unlimited power over members, just the power to moderate threads.

Step 5) Support the site, don't dis it. If you dis it then the site turns to rubbish. If it turns to rubbish then someone will need to start another one in replacement and the rubbish will just move there. In fact, on a negative outcome of the poll and you vote ORE to shutdown, I will post the link to the replacement site where all the experienced 4wders in NZ hang out and who live in harmony and you'll be able to learn lots from them, so I'll post the link for everyone to go and sign up.

If you still won't support the site and think its a waste of time, then the people that are trying to use the site to make a living also loose your support. People like tomsoffroad and suzolla who use ore as an important business platform will be adversely effected if it shuts down, or carries on as a dribble platform. Right now they would be no better off selling crayons to a classroom of squabbling 5 year olds, instead of where they should be which is trying to tap into a market of 4wders who love to modify and show off their shit.

Step 6) you either took all, some or none of the steps on board and should now vote. This is your site, nz's 4wd forum. You get to decide.

I look forward to helping run a great site or having a whole lot of time freed up, and even more in the future.

Feel free to post comments, FFS just keep it real, don't post shit or flame each other.
1973 SWB Land Rover V8 Hybrid
1994 Toyota Surf

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Re: Cleaning ORE up or shutting it down

Postby DaveM » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:53 pm

I doubt you will stamp out the flaming completely, but at the end of the day, if people don't like the site, don't whine, go elsewhere. If it's THAT bad, why waste your time here, or if questions are THAT stupid, why bother replying?
It's a no brainer IMO, keep it running, there are more on here that find it useful, than those who don't.
Oh, and I don't think we can vote anyways :mrgreen:

Jay
Hard Yaka

Re: Cleaning ORE up, or shutting it down

Postby Jay » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:57 pm

Hi Mike,

When trying to vote, it comes up with "The submitted form is invalid - Please try resubmitting your form"

Cheers,

Jay

wax
Hard Yaka

Postby wax » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:01 pm

Yeah I couldnt vote either. I thought maybe it thought I was australian. Im a kiwi im just living in the west island.
Mike I would be happy to be a moderator if you would like a help out.

You can email me at wax(at)waxracing.com

phraza
Hard Yaka

Postby phraza » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:05 pm

I could vote fine as...

If you need a hand moderating, I'm more than happy. My day to day job is dealing with websites. Only thing is that I don't have that many posts etc compared to other people on here, and I don't know as many people either.

We could start getting brutal and banning people that cause shit, or suspend them or something similar. Just a thought

Cheers

Fraser

Edit: i vote to keep it
Last edited by phraza on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2WD 06 Hilux... for now

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:07 pm

cant vote either, but theres no way i would like ORE shut down.

ive grown to like this place, and its a bloody good resource for when your stuck on something and need some advice.

I do however think there needs to be some sort of strike system, when you get so many warnings and after three your suspend for x amount of time, and next time your banned or something rather.

I to would help moderating if you need a hand, havnt been here as long as some, but been here long enough to know the difference between how a forum should work, and what makes it un enjoyable for others.
Last edited by Dirtydog on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:09 pm

Just vote by repling please, voting is broken badly for some reason.

This is a serious vote, so please don't stand on the sidelines.
1973 SWB Land Rover V8 Hybrid
1994 Toyota Surf

MikeL200
Gadget Guy

Postby MikeL200 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:20 pm

Keep the site, kick the dicks.

Far too much good information on here to let a couple of trolls ruin it for those that want to learn, share and contribute.
Mike
1989 LandCruiser MWD BJ74 13BT
33 Deserthawk XMT.

[color=#FF4000]If guns kill people, then,
Spoons make people fat,
Pencils mis-spell words,
and Cars make people drive drunk.

021 666812

stinky
House Hubby

Postby stinky » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:23 pm

I say keep it after all us unemployed bums need something to do apart from stare at cruise ships :lol:

MK1TNA
Hard Yaka

Postby MK1TNA » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:31 pm

Keep it, lots of good tech and insperation to be found on here now and searching back through ORE's history,
Ben.

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:44 pm

I agree with MikeL200 Mike, please keep the site and kick the shit stirrers out/off

There is so much info for all of us on here to loose it to a select few.

Sure some do not come across very articulate when posting, but that is life, not everyone is of the same brush and that is not an excuse to flame them for their disposition.
Ok people, move along. Nothing to see here. Thank you, move along.
Ph 0212078472

Jay
Hard Yaka

Postby Jay » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:45 pm

MikeL200 wrote:Keep the site, kick the dicks.

Far too much good information on here to let a couple of trolls ruin it for those that want to learn, share and contribute.

Keep the site.

oljamesyboy
Hard Yaka

Postby oljamesyboy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:52 pm

keep

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:57 pm

Keep the site, cowboys come and go.

Although discussions in tech sections should be on topic only, strictly. Use the general section for chit chat or banter.
'12 JK Rubicon V6 3.6L Auto D44/D44

jervisad
Hard Yaka

Postby jervisad » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:04 pm

i vote to keep the site running and as said above if people comment stupid questions that have obvious answers then simply dont reply its not that hard my 2c

badnuz
Hard Yaka

Postby badnuz » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:05 pm

clean it and keep it! :mrgreen:
i used to Cruise, now i PATROL

Moriarty
Hard Yaka

Postby Moriarty » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:10 pm

Keep it.

ORE is a great repository of information and interesting people. If dicks keep being dicks, explain the dickheadedness to them and if it continues, a two month ban.

Moderator? Hmmmm My 4WDing is rapidly coming to a close, but I am still a shooter, reloader and hunter.

Regards......

B

Taz
Hard Yaka

Postby Taz » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:10 pm

Keep the site.

Fix the search function or sticky how to use the advanced google search at the top of each forum (or maybe just link the search funtion directly to it). It not working is causing the most grief and filling the site up with repeated questions imo.

Assign more moderators.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." - Oscar Wilde
Work in progress - www.pearls.kiwi

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:11 pm

Mike, IF the other forum you refer too is the one I'm thinking of then there's a perfectly valid reason why its not out in the public domain and why there's harmony. I'd prefer not to elaborate on that thought for fear of ostracizing those who are not there who are good buggers and perhaps could be... i'll let imagination fill in the blanks
I believe the only way to have found it to date is via word of mouth, which is selective, for the exact reasons you have outlined. IMO (for what its worth) posting it up for all and sundry really would not be well received, and mayhem would indeed ensue

If you're referring to the NZFWDA forum, then why not... Peter will finally have an audience to listen to him, and the NZFWDA can recruit.

Having said that, ORE still is informative, if one is prepared to sift through onerous posts about trivial things... so on that note, I think you're on the button.

cheers

Mark
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

andy3542
Hard Yaka

Postby andy3542 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:20 pm

KEEP :!: and as said before ban those who just start s**t.

Iv learnt and received so much help from guys on here would be a shame to lose it.

Cheers
Offroad Addiction TV

https://www.facebook.com/OffroadAddictionLtd/

mud_slinger
Hard Yaka

Postby mud_slinger » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:22 pm

keep the site

the wealth of experience of many in here is invaluable and very underestimated, there are some really good dudes on here, who are willing to help the noobs and go the extra mile. i have met many a good dude on here and had a kick ass day wheelin. kick the dicks the shit stirrers and the ones who are only around to dispute and burn fellow members whether its a personal attack or on a simple question. we are all here for one reason and thats wheeling.

my 2c
needs more curry

Sawdoc
Hard Yaka

Postby Sawdoc » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:23 pm

Keep it going and drop kick the dicks :wink:
91 HZJ73 Cruiser, 4.2 non turbo,33 x 12.5 kl71's,UHF radio, snorkle, diff breathers, Factory winch, Awesome club truck.

chrome
Hard Yaka

Postby chrome » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:30 pm

keep
DIRTY OLD HILUX
022 519 7700

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:38 pm

xj wrote:Mike, IF the other forum you refer too is the one I'm thinking of then there's a perfectly valid reason why its not out in the public domain and why there's harmony. I'd prefer not to elaborate on that thought for fear of ostracizing those who are not there who are good buggers and perhaps could be... i'll let imagination fill in the blanks
I believe the only way to have found it to date is via word of mouth, which is selective, for the exact reasons you have outlined. IMO (for what its worth) posting it up for all and sundry really would not be well received, and mayhem would indeed ensue

If you're referring to the NZFWDA forum, then why not... Peter will finally have an audience to listen to him, and the NZFWDA can recruit.

Having said that, ORE still is informative, if one is prepared to sift through onerous posts about trivial things... so on that note, I think you're on the button.

cheers

Mark

I can't add much more to this ^(above) Mike, other than the search function which does need sorting. I (like a lot of others) have a lot to offer those who wish to listen, but I will not offer info if the one requesting it hasn't done some ground work themselves (as you allude to in your spiel at the beginning). You know me reasonably well and I do shoot straight most of the time, and I would like to see the site cleaned up and brought back to somewhere near where it once was.
One of the problems I think you may have doing that is that alot of the ones who are viewed as dickheads by the masses don't think they are. I see this as a bit of an issue on your part as to how this is handled.
As I stated elsewhere, I still look here up to 4 times everyday, but alas it is more often to shake my head and remember what once was.
You have my full support to clean ORE up and keep it going for the genuine people dude.

westie
Ugly is a state of mind..... and the state of my truck!

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:41 pm

keep , I enjoy helping new guys ,with questions and disscussions :D
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

dean zuk
Hard Yaka

Postby dean zuk » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:41 pm

Keep.

I often read on here but don't post much as i don't normally have alot of tech knowledge to add, but when i do post/start a thread i try and make it clear what i want to know, and make a clear conclusion so it can be usefull if found in a search. Might help if people think about how a thread will read if you stumbled across it in a search?

Dean

muddyhilux
Hard Yaka

Postby muddyhilux » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:07 pm

I vote to clean up and keep,it'll be a sad day if it all ends

I too come on here every single day without fault but for a long time have not had the effort to reply to questions asked time and time again.like others I believe there is a huge amount of info within the site but it is difficult to find at times, I also agree with rok,people need to be doing a lot more ground work before just blurting things out and hoping to have things given to them on a platter

unfortunately I'm of no use to help moderate or clean up as in general I'm a tard when it comes to techy things but the best of luck to those who can assist
1990 surf 350 chevy jacked up and currently under construction again

QUADRACER
Hard Yaka

Postby QUADRACER » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:13 pm

Mike, keep it going.
I too like Rok, find it hard wade through some of the in fighting and general
Garbage, that seems to appear, but at the end of the day the majority of people on here are there for the right reason.
Maybe warn the few that spoil it for the many.
Then it will not be a shock when blacklisted.
I too do not post as it seems to end in tears.
I would like to sell my winch truck here, but not worth drama if I list a price.
Last edited by QUADRACER on Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
retired 4wd to a ford ranger and UTV

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:15 pm

Keep it going.
Everyone needs to take a deep breath and take 5 seconds before responding to a thread if it is becoming personal or inflammatory.
I log in every day for a browse, and read most threads. I offer info if I know it to be correct, I often think about a tongue in cheek response to other posts but once I start typing I think, why am I bothering?, this achieves nothing. Except waste my time.

If you don't like it, Don't feed it.

I avoid several current threads as I know they are full of repetitive dribble.

Years ago I drew enough info from this site to do a disc brake conversion on my surf, swap in a 5M Supra engine, modify the steering and fix some falcon springs to the ass end for some awesome flex. as well as lots of other tricks and fixs.
This sort of info is less forth coming on the site now as several people have made the decision not to share their knowledge.
Several people, Rokhound, NJV6, Dieselboy, Suzolla, Jafa, Deranged, Hosehustler, to name a few have been part of the site a long time and they are a wealth of knowledge. others of similar knowledge have already left the site.
I have been part of ORE for years, but my post count is lower than a lot of people that have been on here a lot less longer than I have.
Either I have nothing to share or I just don't need to respond all the time.

Every member on here is potentially a new mate or 4wd companion in the future, well for me it has been like that, I have met several great guys through this forum.
Treat others with the same respect you would expect from your own mates. If you want respect, earn it by proving you are worthy of it.
A few years ago we got to a similar point of strife and I put my hand up to assist in moderating the site, I will do so again now.

ORE Rocked, and hopefully can again. Without wiperblades hopefully
Last edited by Smurf on Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wax
Hard Yaka

Postby wax » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:33 pm

Smurf wrote:ORE Rocked, and hopefully can again. Without wiperblades and Terrenos hopefully

???????????????????

Return to “Announcements”