Discovery diesel....

land bruiser
Hard Yaka

Discovery diesel....

Postby land bruiser » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:20 pm

I've just finished giving my old 1984 hj60 land cruiser a tidy up. As in new paint and so on. Its come up pretty good. So now I'm thinking of moving it on and I like the look of the land rover discovery diesel. Are they any good. I'm not heavily into off roading I just want something with coil springs instead of the old leafs all round. don't get me wrong I do love the cruiser I just think its time for a change.
I HAVE 60 SERRIES PARTS FOR SALE

Bubba
Hard Yaka

Re: Discovery diesel....

Postby Bubba » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:30 am

I happen to have one for sale :mrgreen:

Not exacty the quickest thing in the world but bloody good on the gas. I got from from Wellington to Auckland on 1/2 a tank of gas, thats about 45lts. Doing about 95kph on auto cruise with SFA traffic, worked out to be about 8lts/100km.

As for the rest of it; depends on who you listen to
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin

land bruiser
Hard Yaka

Postby land bruiser » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:17 pm

Yea I would have been keen as on that but its to far away :cry:

Disco Gofer
Hard Yaka

Postby Disco Gofer » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:32 pm

Bubba wrote:I happen to have one for sale :mrgreen:

Not exacty the quickest thing in the world but bloody good on the gas. I got from from Wellington to Auckland on 1/2 a tank of gas, thats about 45lts. Doing about 95kph on auto cruise with SFA traffic, worked out to be about 8lts/100km.

As for the rest of it; depends on who you listen to

My 94 does the same on fuel. Its bloody great!

land bruiser
Hard Yaka

Postby land bruiser » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:08 pm

Ok so they are good on fuel. I thought you landy boys would have had a bit more to say about them than just the fuel consumption :roll:

tow99
Hard Yaka

Postby tow99 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:40 pm

my old man had one.had endless electrical problems with windows heater fan abs and airbags.
one day the rear window decided to explode by itself.if you got one cheap enough it could be good.
pretty comfortable and go alright

land bruiser
Hard Yaka

Postby land bruiser » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:44 pm

Thanks I also got told the manual gear boxes arnt that good??

Stage1V8
Hard Yaka

Postby Stage1V8 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:29 pm

Yeah, and you'll be told the axles break, the engines blow up, they sink in the mid-Atlantic,... You'll also be told they will rape your women and murder your children.

In reality, look at how many of them there are on the road. There are heaps, and that suggests that maybe, just maybe, they have staying power and they must be more reliable than some would have you think.

For me, the TD5 Disco I have is 8 years old. Got it new. Had to get a couple of things fixed in that time (3 amigo's is so annoying) but nothing majorly mechanical.
Alan
Land Rover Series III Stage 1 V8
Disco 2 HSE

land bruiser
Hard Yaka

Postby land bruiser » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:48 pm

Yea your not wrong. There are shit loads of them getting around most of them are V8 and not to many diesel's. Will just see what happens I still have a couple little things left to do on the cruiser be for I sell it.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:58 am

land bruiser wrote:Thanks I also got told the manual gear boxes arnt that good??

The R380 gearbox in the diesel Disco 1, named so because it is rated at 380nm, i ally good gearbox, however the early ones suffered an oil starvation issue leading to premature failure. Dont know exact dates but iirc there is a mod you can do to solve this problem by drilling new oil passages in one of the c/shaft gears

TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

Stage1V8
Hard Yaka

Postby Stage1V8 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:36 am

land bruiser wrote:Yea your not wrong. There are shit loads of them getting around most of them are V8 and not to many diesel's.

That's mainly because owners won't sell ;)
Alan
Disco 2 HSE

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:38 am

Manuals might be cheaper but they go way better than the autos. I had a manual one and it went great. towed the jet boat really well too. For what it was worth I should I have kept it.

Batfastard
Dr. Love Glove

Postby Batfastard » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:38 pm

I just bought a disco 2 td5 with a dicked motor to tow my winch truck.replace motor with one that had done 80 km .it goes mint i modify the manifold and put a pyro in and removed erg .it goes mint .got a chip to get fitted on monday.put my trailer with a hylux on and towed that stoked it tow mint .im a happy camper .will report back on how it goes when chipped

rotordogg
Hard Yaka

Postby rotordogg » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:29 pm

I got a diesel disco 1 as a company truck, I sit on 85-90 on open road it's comfortable and cheap to run! It will cruze at 110 if you ask it to, but uses more fuel!
Tow my comp truck with it, goes really well, I keep up with mate in diesel prado towing his comp truck (his is a bit heavier though)

5th gear kinda fell of the back of the gearbox at one stage, but fixed it at work easy. Been told to use 4th for towing to save the gearbox. That's what I do now.

Also broke cam belt, but that can happen on any truck. Done 30-35,000k last year, they were the only real problems. trucks up to about 260,000k now and still going.

I do describe it as driving a lazy-boy chair on top of a waterbed, with a glasshouse behind you!
It's just more fun in a lada !!

land bruiser
Hard Yaka

Postby land bruiser » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:10 pm

rotordogg wrote:I got a diesel disco 1 as a company truck, I sit on 85-90 on open road it's comfortable and cheap to run! It will cruze at 110 if you ask it to, but uses more fuel!
Tow my comp truck with it, goes really well, I keep up with mate in diesel prado towing his comp truck (his is a bit heavier though)

5th gear kinda fell of the back of the gearbox at one stage, but fixed it at work easy. Been told to use 4th for towing to save the gearbox. That's what I do now.

Also broke cam belt, but that can happen on any truck. Done 30-35,000k last year, they were the only real problems. trucks up to about 260,000k now and still going.

I do describe it as driving a lazy-boy chair on top of a waterbed, with a glasshouse behind you!

Cool this is the kind of stuff I wanted to hear I am keen on getting one but just afew more things to finish up on the cruiser befor she goes up for sale

SAM_0517.JPG

SAM_0519.JPG

PLAYUP
Bush Crasher

Postby PLAYUP » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:06 pm

I was also looking at a Diesel Disco, I also like the look of your cruiser...
How much?
PM ME :)

Batfastard
Dr. Love Glove

Postby Batfastard » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:51 pm

Well got the chip in the td5 .i must say wow the diffrance is. Like night and day .im happy as i goes real well seems like at least 30% .its like the dffrance between a 3l and a 1kzt .just need to stop the sun roofs from leaking now .

rotordogg
Hard Yaka

Postby rotordogg » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:47 pm

Batfastard wrote: ...just need to stop the sun roofs from leaking now .

Mine used to leak too, found they were leaking round the bolt seals (plastic washer) more than anywhere else, loosened bolts, winscreen sealer piped in, then retightened bolts. 8)

Dogg.
It's just more fun in a lada !!

Batfastard
Dr. Love Glove

Postby Batfastard » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:48 pm

Cheers dogg will check that out

Stage1V8
Hard Yaka

Postby Stage1V8 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:50 am

rotordogg wrote:
Batfastard wrote: ...just need to stop the sun roofs from leaking now .

Mine used to leak too, found they were leaking round the bolt seals (plastic washer) more than anywhere else, loosened bolts, winscreen sealer piped in, then retightened bolts. 8)

Dogg.

I found a leak where a piece of crud had got between the rubber and glass and the drains were blocked. Cleaned everything and no more leaks since.

yeah, and chipping is good. The engines are sent out from the factory with high tolerance, low pressure.
Alan
Disco 2 HSE

Disco-Gibbo
Winch master

Postby Disco-Gibbo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:31 pm

Petemcc wrote:Manuals might be cheaper but they go way better than the autos. I had a manual one and it went great. towed the jet boat really well too. For what it was worth I should I have kept it.

No way!!
I've driven Autos & Manuals & Autos are quicker. 'Cause Land Rover used the "fly-by-wire" Fuel Pump & has a EGC on the Autos. The motors are quoted @ 112 gi-gi's for the manual against 122 for the Auto.
Believe me, you notice it when you only have this much under your right foot!

Take the ERG emission gear off & the CAT the motors & you can make it breathe a little better.

44jetboat
Hard Yaka

Postby 44jetboat » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:29 pm

got a 98 300tdi disco

had it 2 years had 290000k when brought it. done about 330000 now. love my disco.

goes great off road. best flex for std truck . great on gas. goes well with mods. cheap parts. rides great. heaps help and info on net.

best cheap 4x4 for the money you pay.

my 2c

dmuddyboots

Postby dmuddyboots » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:18 pm

Disco 300tdi will go like a stabbed rat, Bigger intercooler and play with pump and you will spin all wheel on tarmac the auto has to much electricary and and is more costly to make hop, but saying that I just done mine and it goes real nice and if you keep the lead diving boots in the boat fuel is good to. Land rovers suffer from so many cheap parts being used by owners that break. They are tuned in factory to cope with Africa fuel.
if you need parts its easy and cheap to contact UK firms who will export here, I get all mine from uk I just got a winch bumper for 300bucks, look at m&m 4x4 for costs and they are help full. I just forgot the wheels and cant get what I want here anybody help?????

Hawkertempest
Winch master

Postby Hawkertempest » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:53 am

Batfastard wrote:I just bought a disco 2 td5 with a dicked motor to tow my winch truck.replace motor with one that had done 80 km .it goes mint i modify the manifold and put a pyro in and removed erg .it goes mint .got a chip to get fitted on monday.put my trailer with a hylux on and towed that stoked it tow mint .im a happy camper .will report back on how it goes when chipped

If you have chipped your TD5 make sure you change your intercooler or you will blow your engine? Most after market chips are only throwing fuel at the engine and are not a true engine remap. If you boot your throttle and see clouds of black smoke then that is un-burnt diesel and you don't have a proper remap. To do the job properly you need to send your ECU away to someone like Alive Tuning in the UK to get it done properly. After that you won't be able to get the permanent grin off your face. If you have a "Nanocom" like I have you don't need to send your ECU away as the nanocom can read your ECU map and send it to Alive, they can send you a remap load into your nanocom and download into your ECU. Try it out and fine tune it for your vehicle and when your happy with it then that's the map that you have.
I have an Alisport Intercooler in mine that has 4 times the capacity of the standard LR Intercooler with an Alive Turbo Booster and ECU remap plus 26 psi boost. My TD5 has wicked torque and acceleration, but amazing fuel economy. I drive nearly everywhere in 5th gear, including overtaking.
My engine does not over heat and is producing over 400 Nm of Torque.
The TD5 Engine is recognised as the best Diesel Engine Land Rover made and can be tuned to develop incredible power.
My next stage will be an Alive Ceramic Manifold, Hybrid Turbo and Tuned 2.5" Stainless Exhaust System and Stage 3 ECU Re Map.

Disco Gofer
Hard Yaka

Postby Disco Gofer » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:34 am

Oh and I tweaked the pump and got a bit more "power" as well and I tow my 40 series 350 Chevy mud truck with it now and then and it pulls ok. hills are still a killer but that's ok, im never in a rush to off roading and getting stuck.............
On top of it I have a 730 amp battery that in the middle of winter in Ngaroma forest at -2 allows me to turn the key and not even give the glow plugs 2 secs to warm and fire up immediately. Seems like 1/2 a crank lets it fire up hot or cold and runs smooth all the time. Its nuts!
Theres always those that laugh at Landy owners but theres always me starting every time, slow but steady and always pulling Toyotas out at some stage of a trip......................"Landrover-recovery Toyotas since 1956" :)

muddymatt1973
Hard Yaka

Postby muddymatt1973 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:14 pm

Did you end up getting a Disco?

One point to add about the Tdi motors. If they do snap a cambelt it is usually not fatal. The valves are straight up and down and the force is transferred to the pushrods which bend. Replace them and the belt and usually you are away! I did once have a broken follower tho'

I'm sure loads will comment now about thier engine being destroyed when belt broke etc etc but the above was my experiance :)

Disco Gofer
Hard Yaka

Postby Disco Gofer » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:35 pm

muddymatt1973 wrote:Did you end up getting a Disco?

One point to add about the Tdi motors. If they do snap a cambelt it is usually not fatal. The valves are straight up and down and the force is transferred to the pushrods which bend. Replace them and the belt and usually you are away! I did once have a broken follower tho'

I'm sure loads will comment now about thier engine being destroyed when belt broke etc etc but the above was my experiance :)

Im with you, bought a 94 TDi with a snapped cam belt 16 months ago for $1500 cause the guy just wanted out. Drove to Kerikeri with a trailer and back to Hamilton on a Wednesday, that same weekend I replaced the push rods, belt and pulley etc and it does not leak a drop of water and only some oil sweating. The following Friday went to hospital and had a stainless steel heart valve and plastic aorta fitted...............to me that is haha. 2 months later when I had some strength again I lifted the old girl 2" and havnt looked back! Oh nor did the Rangie driver 2 weeks ends ago when he backed into me with an 82 rangie and a mean tail light protector bull bar thingy which killed my rear wheel arch haha. Insurance is fixing so all good. I just love my Disco, slow n easy.

Return to “Range Rover / Land Rover”