1998 Discovery TDi

Big Kev
Driver/Navigator

1998 Discovery TDi

Postby Big Kev » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:24 pm

I am a complete novice looking to buy my first 4x4 would anyone recommend an 88 TDi discovery or am I barking up the wrong tree, I have a limited budget & am looking at something to get me on the beach for surfcasting plus a general run around and reasonable cheap to run as I travel from Ruakaka to Auckland quite often

Disco-Gibbo
Winch master

Re: 1998 Discovery TDi

Postby Disco-Gibbo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:15 am

Big Kev wrote:I am a complete novice looking to buy my first 4x4 would anyone recommend an 88 TDi discovery or am I barking up the wrong tree, I have a limited budget & am looking at something to get me on the beach for surfcasting plus a general run around and reasonable cheap to run as I travel from Ruakaka to Auckland quite often

Here's my take -
The 300 TDI D1 is the pick of the range for sure. Very economical (30+ mpg) & as long as you keep up the maintenance + they will go for ever. Unlike the V8 which has a limited life with cam shaft wear etc.

The manual models are slower, as they came with the all mechanical fuel pump & 112kw engine. The Autos (after '96) cam with a ECU driven fuel pump & 120 kw - (maybe less reliable I'm told).

They stopped making them in '97, so all new models sold after that date have been stored in UK prior to export to NZ, Oz Japan etc.

My '97 will get me to Wairarapa from Auckland, fully loaded with family + mud tyres in a little less than 3/4 tank of Diesel! Any long hills must be planned @ least 5 km back up the road. Never let it drop below 1,500rpm, as there is no turbo / power @ all. No power anywhere when they are cold, or the 1st 15 minutes of driving either. Other than that, they seem to keep up to V8's off road ok & probably less chance of busting a diff or axle too.

muddymatt1973
Hard Yaka

Postby muddymatt1973 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:40 am

Yep I agree with all the above. I have run Tdi Disco out past 300,000Ks and it still ran mint. If it still has EGR remove it.
Heaps and heaps of aftermarket bits available too.
Best of all, when you do have an issue (you will, nothing is perfect) it is 100% guaranteed that you won't be the first one and someone out there will have a fix!

Disco-Gibbo
Winch master

Postby Disco-Gibbo » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:42 am

muddymatt1973 wrote:Yep I agree with all the above. I have run Tdi Disco out past 300,000Ks and it still ran mint. If it still has EGR remove it.
Heaps and heaps of aftermarket bits available too.
Best of all, when you do have an issue (you will, nothing is perfect) it is 100% guaranteed that you won't be the first one and someone out there will have a fix!

That's about "Run-in" Matt!
Check out this website forum on Aulro.... :arrow:
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/discovery-1/1 ... e-c-t.html
A couple of TDI trucks that have made it over 1 million K's
There's simply is no stopping them.

44jetboat
Hard Yaka

Postby 44jetboat » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:14 pm

ive got a 1998 300tdi disco manual

love my truck :D . has done over 350000ks and goes great. i have tweaked the pump and few other goodies.

still great on gas. goes very well offroad. i have added some lockers and makes it even better.

nice inside and travels well

i believe that bang for buck its a hard truck to beat.

Return to “Range Rover / Land Rover”