IcedJohnno
Trailer Trash

Re: Its not a project.... honest lol

Postby IcedJohnno » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:28 am

Bloody well done Reece.

New Records for you
Muchly WOW factor Cooliness!
Fastest build time!

Intriging to see the main leaf has not seperated from the pack in droop.
CONGRATS!

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:43 am

Well done dude
You gotta sort that front end out out though :wink: :P
Ugly is a state of mind..... and the state of my truck!

tomsoffroad
Flopsie

Postby tomsoffroad » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:05 am

Nice work. Looking forward to the videos :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

slidenyo
Hard Yaka

Postby slidenyo » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:05 am

its tweaking that bottom leaf a good amount on droop :shock: ,
cool though ain't seen a series rover flex that much ever,
you have concoured the rovers nemesis (cocking a leg)
I imagine it will go spastically well....
problems are only a problem if you not willing to learn how to find solutions

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:50 pm

Well she (and me survived :lol: ) What a trip.... I did say to the boys friday night when they were commenting on the rain that was forcast
"The cool trips are the ones that things go wrong on...." :lol:
Will do up a trip write up when I've got the pic's and video

Truck went remarkably well given the small tyres I noticed the rear pushing it forward in alot of spots where it shouldn't have and that was in sloppy conditions be interested to see what the rear suspension works like in the dry there were several spots where I went as far as the v8 who was on silverstones

Rok you'll laugh at this but it was like driving a skidder, it balanced nicely on the front axle.... I'd look over and see a passenger from another truck with a surprised look steering at my rear end then realise the back must be flexing out

Yea a bit surprised the bearings in the shackles didn't do anything to releave that twist, might have a redesign hmmmm

slidenyo
Hard Yaka

Postby slidenyo » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:39 pm

weight of the body trying to yaw across the springs won't help,
a watts link might alleviate things a bit

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:49 pm

pics or it didnt happen

you know the rules fulla

did ya mate have a lie down this time at the park :lol: :lol: :lol:
80 Series on 35" creepies, manual with twin factory lockers.

*CHILLAX BRO.*

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:55 pm

slidenyo wrote:weight of the body trying to yaw across the springs won't help,
a watts link might alleviate things a bit

A triagulated 4 link system doesn't need any lateral location it is done by the triangulation of the upper and lower links
the twist is because the springs are clamped to the chassis and swing vertically (up and down) as the axle twists under articulation the mounting points for the shackles swings in an arc around the link location (center of axle) this stops them lining up.... your watts linkage would cause exactly the same problem if you used it and a parallel link system.... that was the idea of the bearings to allow the base of the shackle (axle end) to swing to the side

:lol: they are coming
We did have one truck have a lie down and a possibilty of another :lol: but was all good

slidenyo
Hard Yaka

Postby slidenyo » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:28 pm

I understand your triangulated links but your castor will be changing with each degree of articulation,
your spring pack appears to be yawing upon the change of castor causing the back of the chassis to walk aside due to the castor change at the diff.
I think your links would benefit being made from 4 rose joints each so the can soak up the yawing motion by moving laterally not pivoting or possibly a mixture of both.

churchill
Hard Yaka

Postby churchill » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:37 pm

slidenyo wrote:I understand your triangulated links but your castor will be changing with each degree of articulation,
your spring pack appears to be yawing upon the change of castor causing the back of the chassis to walk aside due to the castor change at the diff.
I think your links would benefit being made from 4 rose joints each so the can soak up the yawing motion by moving laterally not pivoting or possibly a mixture of both.

This is a pretty standard suspension setup only tricky thing is the lower arms pivot behind the axle along with the leaf spring (unless I've missed something, these builds have a lot going on!). There's no steering on the rear axle so no castor, the angle of the diff will be controlled by the geometry of rear link setup and yes they do walk, this is one of the traits of a SAS.

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:39 pm

Sorry son you lost me caster only applies to a steering axle (it is what helps the wheel self centre) and is created by the king pin inclination angle
aghh also what is a yawing lol I haven't read about this in any of the suspension books (I'm not being an arss... to my knowledge it is a nautical term not a suspension term)
This style of suspension causes miss-alignment with the spring I spose you could mount chassis end on some sort of pivot but due to the leverage forces you would kill your pivots quickly... if your concern is the axle swinging on a central pivot arc then the only option is to stop articulation, you could lower the top links to lower the roll center height this will stop some of the side ways movement of the articulation arc as this puts the pivot point closer to the center line of the axle... the side effect is the truck will become more "rolly" in corners and sidelings not a desirable idea :lol: I'm probably not the best at explaining this stuff If you struggle to understand me I can do some pic's in cad to show what I'm talking about

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:26 am

I'm sorry guys I can't use any of your pic's in the trip report as they will not post up on site you have all made them too big

Trip will go up once I edit them out

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:25 pm

Right since this thread is not a project thread I'm doing a trip report :P

Guess i should start off with some history for those that don’t know me
I’ve been building other peoples toys for long enough and have tagged along in more than a few of my creations but its been a few years since I’d been out with a truck of my own... nothing that has ever concerned me as my buzz is building them more than playing but been a bit of sticking point for everyone else lol
So when the landy turned up as payment for a favour it was intended as a play toy not a project... just a slight problem that most of the trucks I’ve built for my mates are a bit more capable than a stock landy LOL but I can fix that (see its not a project...I'm just fixing problems :wink: )

Anyway a mate booked Costa and the jokes started, it’ll never be ready well as you seen the last few days were pretty hard out... at one of these all hands on evenings the weather was mentioned... I had to mention that the best trips are the ones where things go wrong LOL
Well after a couple of humbling evenings where mates kept turning up to help throw the old girl back together we take her for a charge up and down the street at 1am sat morning and flex it out, 4wd lever is stuck in, the welded rear diff is making clicking noises like its ready to self destruct, but it runs so it gets loaded on, I grab a spare diff and some tools just in case and head home
Next morning (4hrs later lol) Brian turns up in Boris (Lada) and we set off to Clive’s before we head down to Otane to meet up with the rest... in convoy 5min south of Havelock we discover the fuel gauge on the borrowed car isn’t correct after a stop and a chat we head back to Havelock to fuel up... with it surging we make the servo (I did mention trips where things go wrong lol) interestingly my misses made the comment about a fuel smell some thing I really should have paid attention to....
Back in convoy all good.... hmmm till the Te Aute hill , a mate driving so I can stretch out on in the passengers seat he comments on the temp we’re half way up and its climbing I flick the cab heater and fan to full and it continues to climb as we slowly crest the top its tapping the bottom of the red... keep rolling don’t stop we need air flow with both of us watching we coast down the other side slowly the gauge comes back... that was us every small hill till Otane where we found everyone waiting
With a heap of mechanics, an engineer,an auto sparky and an oil technician all in there we solve the problem a sticky thermostat cracking off the rad cap with it hot seems to have released it, the cab heater is working well now... after a bit of discussion call is made to keep going problem looks to be sorted (I did mention trips where things go wrong)
With us watching the gauge we set off again.... and a bigger convoy
No movement on the gauge by the time we made Waipuk problem solved LOL (did I mention trips where things go wrong).... another stop to cool her off just before Norsewood another at Danniverke and just before the last climb up to Goldie’s only 6hrs to get there LOL
We unload in the rain, the track into the hut we had the lada slide off the track and park up in a gorse bush, Nobber’s hilux slid into a ditch and stayed there till Buzz showed us that a lexus screaming can move anything... the landy drove in... Admittedly I was in third gear foot flat LOL got told later they could hear me at the car park
After we unloaded, with everyone standing round trying to make their minds up I headed to the truck I wanted to explore (been a few yrs since I was last there)
Told the lovely lady to hold on and stood on it in second the old girl bouncing we headed off up a track above the hut, get to the top and see a bit of a bog hole hmmm reminds me I didn’t get around to the snorkel... or adding an air filter lol think I’ll check the depth first after a bit of poke I decide its better if a few trucks empty it out first and back off to the side just as Buzz turns up.... soon he is turning round,LOL no one wants to be first so we all turn around and decide to go look for another track
We head out the back from the hut and up along the ridge to the intersection where you turn off to eastern end or up to papa corner with all the rain it’s a fun it’s a fun challenge for the smaller trucks
Till BigT’s little Suzuki starts to have fuel issues, while thats happening I went for a wee explore and bellied the landy on a stump
(mental note near top of list is working wipers and a demister)
Once we were all going again we headed east for a play
With my back ping'ing a spent a bit of time watching the others (nicer to stand than sit :roll: ) heres BigT lining up on a hill climb
Position truck, clutch in rev motor till valve bounce limiters stop revs... drop clutch.... wheel spin, wheel spin... no wheel spin, stop... back up to flatter/more greasy spot...repeat
Then there was Hamish
He would slowly roll into something technical, line up his wheels a squrt of power and either roll out or back out and try another line
Buzz and Wingnut that was just the hard on approch, V8 screaming truck bouncing you either rocket out the top or you dig yourself to a stand still
And Nobber he drove round trying to find ruts he could flex out in
At around half 4 decided to head home to the hut we had one hill to climb that was a bit of a challenge for some of the trucks
hooked the lada up the back of the lexus but the strop was a bit long and on an inside corner he got dragged across the corner getting hung up on the kanuka after a bit of clearing work we cleared him

Now its the verge of dark and misty to boot I was in pain, didn’t have any lights so I made the call to head back to the hut by myself.... remember about that comment things going wrong en all.... well it wasn’t me this time LOL I got to the hut with out an issue don’t think the young lad who jumped in with me was too impressed with my head out the window hold the door shut style of driving but we were all good, got the fire going cracked a woody life isn’t too bad .....
Meanwhile the rest of the party split up some decided to follow me and got lost another group were still working on getting up the hill
The second group who were the first ones back they came in with a wonderfull story of BigT going off the edge where the lada got hung up... but since the kanuka had been cut away instead of getting hung up he rolled! And how they winched off kanuka bushes to pull it back up...
By now its fully dark and still no sign of 3 trucks but we have had a text to say all good and on the way back
They arrived in with tales of a lada that can’t stay on the track and when it was would plow into the deepest holes sounds like he might have been as blind as me lol
Here's some of the pic's of the lost group
With the fire going everyone home a few beverages and food cooking there was a real good buzz to the place... three different stews steaming away and a bbq outside
Having had a short sleep the night before I was in bed trying to sleep but kept laughing at the strange topics that popped up or flowed too
Later that night woke to the rattle and bang of a possum on the roof
Next morning up with the sun I heated up the last of the best pot of stew I wont say who’s it was she would just think I’m greasing lol the rest of the group slowly roused till it was just the young lad’s
Had Hamish and Nobber convinced that possums had taken their sausages, since they had bought that so easily I convinced them, the possums had taken their cans of baked beans as well LOL some people are just so gullible
After every one was fed the call was made to head down the play area near the road and then up the ridgeline and round papa corner
Brian decided to sit it out because he didn’t want to damage Boris and Big T’s zuk was down with fuel issues so 4 hilux’s and a landy
Down at the play area I think everyone got stuck
I slowly run out of rev’s the fuel filter was blocked,
a bit of work and its cleaned out rev’ing hard again
The climb up to the ridgeline proved to be a challenge, tramline ruts and not quite enough diff clearance ment the old landy was struggling, a couple of tries to confirm I wasn’t going to get far and brute force and ignorince kicked in 3rd gear starts with the LD screaming... diff clunking we'd get a wee bit further each time... on one of these runs sliding back down... alright foot flat in reverse the drivers door popped open and folded back had enough of it so I gently removed it and stowed it safely in the back of Nobbers truck then we attacked it again with everybody laughing the landy bounced her way up round the corner (hoping someone has some vid of this)
Oh I didnt quite make it to the top I needed a snatch for the last bit... just not quite enough tyres size :roll:
Next was Wingnut "flying" up with a Nobber on a strop
The ridge top was nice running
We got to papa corner without any issues Hamish decided to have a try at driving down....
While Wingnut was hauling him out the mist cleared-ish
but with it getting near to lunch was time to push on
Note the rest of them were all hiding behind there trucks waiting for someone tough to be the first to slide down hissyfit... being the only man in the group and driving the most cappable offroad weapon I went first
scary ha :lol:
That bit of fun over I stepped into the landy (this no door thing isn't bad)
and we made tracks to the hut
Where we loaded up and this time made short work of the access track
and delt with the fun of loading up the toys...
interestingly two things of note for me "don't listen to tall people they don't seem to know as much about driving cars as they think" and "if there is a rainbow patern on the road under a truck there is a reason...."
With Nobber running low on desiel we drain the landy to give him all we can so he can make the servo, still with the overheating Koon we leave to get a head start
A bit later we meet up at the Woodvale servo all good discovered the reason why Nobber is so low on fuel is return line had been nocked off
We drop $100 in the koon its only a 100km's to home and set off with a fresh charge of water as well, another stop in Danivagus for more water and cool her down again, seriously considered leaving the truck somewhere... but we keep going not far out of Dani we get a text Nobbers run out of fuel 100m from the Mobil in Waipuk :lol: as we hit Norsewood the temp spiked again but since I'm driving and my head was in the draft from the cab vents I noticed no heat.... blastard thermostate :lol: 15min's later with the guts gone from it the car is away and racing
hmmm hind sight :lol: no more cooling issues (notice I stated cooling issues :roll: )
We catch up to Nobber and get him going again charge to Otane back on the main road the Koon runs out of fuel again!! its about now we start to link that smell of fuel the rainbow patern at costa :lol: $300 worth of fuel!! a small top up and gental driving we make the pump at havelock again and home :lol:

I did mention its the ones that things go wrong that are the most fun

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:34 pm

Just got the text looks like their will be some video as well :D hopefully get it emailed in tomorrow night

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:17 pm

Mean trip.

Weemsy
Hard Yaka

Postby Weemsy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:34 pm

It was a calamity weekend :lol: but it's what made such a laugh

Hopefully someone got a video, or more pictures of me towing nobber up that hill! Could only hear the screams of my lad inside the truck :lol: want to see/hear the truck at full snot!!

The videos are pretty poor unfortunately, but will get them to you tomorrow, Reece. :D
Its better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

mightyhilux4x4
Driver/Navigator

Postby mightyhilux4x4 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:50 am

don't listen to tall people they don't seem to know as much about driving cars as they think" and "

BUT EVERONES TALLER THAN U FRODO...even ur missus :o

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:11 am

Great report, Sounds like a good weekend....
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:48 am

mightyhilux4x4 wrote:don't listen to tall people they don't seem to know as much about driving cars as they think" and "

BUT EVERONES TALLER THAN U FRODO...even ur missus :o

Cough cough Navy boy cough

It was an awesome trip, a really good crowd of people and the problems were nothing thankfully
As for the "trusty" Koon I'm thinking about buying it :lol:

ice4x4
Hard Yaka

Postby ice4x4 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:33 pm

Gutted I missed this one :cry: :cry:

Looks like a great trip, can't wait for vids...
1988 Range Rover Classic
2010 Discovery 4 HSE 5.0 V8

[img]http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg303/eastw77/2_zpse514cc6c.gif[/img]

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:09 am

Yes you and Rick were missed, well no you weren't... :lol: but it would have been a better trip if you'd been there
Sorry guys I can't seem to get the vids to run from photobucket, its to do with unsupported file format (might have to have a word with director of photograpy before the next trip)
there is only one cool one... BigT discussing how to park a truck off the side of the track :lol:
The rest are playing on the see-saw and one of me gently removing my landy door so not a lot to miss out on

Sick of cleaning up the shed (due to down sizing workshop) and in the process I'd found a new air filter for an old digger I owned.... its not something that would sell on trademe so I decided to use it on the Landy
Making up an airbox out of an old rangy fender panel since they are alloy, got to keep with the performance theme that Rover started :lol: was starting to have second thoughts a couple of hrs into cleaning up the paint and bog on the panel, the paint was that thick it blocked up flap disks, grinding disks I even had a go at scrapping it off with a gasket scrapper in the end I used a wire wheel
Little bit of luck I'll have it done tomorrow (trying to make it at least as swanky as one of Toms ones :lol: )

tomsoffroad
Flopsie

Postby tomsoffroad » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:17 am

Little bit of luck I'll have it done tomorrow (trying to make it at least as swanky as one of Toms ones :lol: )

I have an unfair advantage my man.......... I don't start with Landrover off cuts!! :twisted: :twisted:

Loved the write up. Sounds like you guys had a primo weekend :D

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:42 am

Awesome trip write up! :D

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:57 am

tomsoffroad wrote:

I have an unfair advantage my man.......... I don't start with Landrover off cuts!! :twisted: :twisted:

Loved the write up. Sounds like you guys had a primo weekend :D

Arghh but mine will be made from cool stuff, shiny-ish alloy.... debating if its worth getting a bottle of argon so I could weld it hmmm wait n see

It was a great weekend top crowd of people, why I'm planning on leaving the landy running as much as possible so we can get out...

1000dollamitzy
Hard Yaka

Postby 1000dollamitzy » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:07 am

Bugger i missed that one, bloody man flu :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Maybe I shouldnt sell Peppe until after Zukinstine lives........... :? :? :?
I dont have an attitude, I have a personality you can't handle....

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:18 am

No pic's but I got a bottle and started welding... been a awhile since I did alloy but I couldn't get the test pieces of the rover pannel to weld clean in the end I gave up and rivited the box, made up an alloy filter mount and an intube for the alloy snorkle.... just got to make up the mounting face for the filter piece and the sight window and I can mount the whole lot to the landy

Sounds like a good plan Rick... decided to organise my own runs because I've been told I'm not good enough to join any club because I don't have 35" simex's and a winch :roll: I'm going to inquire and see if the rest of the club has the same view... attitude like this is why clubs die :lol:

jj1959
Bush Crasher

Postby jj1959 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:55 pm

Hi Reece. I don't know where you get the idea that your not welcome at the local clubs. I have said to you before to come along and have a go we have all sorts in our club.

John Jones
President
Hawkes Bay 4WD Club
ph 0274447734

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:14 pm

:lol: arghh just to clear up that post wasn't a dig at any club, it was a silly dig at a shed mate nothing more

All good JJ I've been talking to Toddy about joining HB... now that I have a running truck :roll: Not quite the level of the lada but still a bit of fun :lol:

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:12 pm

Well here it is the air box to beat Toms box's :lol: all alloy and near on all recycled materials... the only bits that came from my rack is the 5mm and that was a short off cut... the trade off was welding it, the tube had some crap in the metal that kept corrupting the pool especially if I held the heat to get good penetration... thats why I polished the welds :wink:

decided to splurg on some silcone pipe fittings (cheapest ones on trademe :roll: ) the english inthe add isn't bad too

SMOKEY
Hard Yaka

Postby SMOKEY » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:40 pm

Hi Reece, I'm a bit concerned :? , will the old LD28 have enough suckkkky motttaaa to fill it's lungs from that distance :oops: , I've got an old Kirby vacuum cleaner you could put in the suction line 8) , free to you if you want it. :arrow: what am I saying ----- you're in the mud ---

I'M NOT,

FITZY.

Return to “Range Rover / Land Rover”