Anyone for some river crossing practice Chch?

flatsix
Driver/Navigator

Anyone for some river crossing practice Chch?

Postby flatsix » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:26 pm

Any Christchurch landrover guys interested in some testing/practising river crossing in some of the side braids in the Waimak?

Looking at a Mon or tues evening at about 7pm at the end of Weedons Ross road by West Melton, out before dark, can't get locked in by Ecan up there!

Just got a disco1 and want to see how it wades and how much of a hole the mudders dig in soft shingle, and a 2nd truck would be very helpful to have

You don't have to go in the water if you don't want, just be able to give me a pull out or something to winch against, (or give me a lift home to get the tractor!)

Just leave a reply here if interested and once the river clears a bit we can give it a go.

Cheers

SMOKEY
Hard Yaka

Re: Anyone for some river crossing practice Chch?

Postby SMOKEY » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:43 pm

Hi flatsix, interesting name 8) , not many flat six's around nowdays, have you got one and what make ??. Now I am a long time now retired 4WDriver and a bit of advice given to me years ago when I got started was DON'T PLAY IN THE MAK :twisted: and the reason why :oops: it will get ya and if the water doesn't the gravel and silt will get in all your mechanicals and electrics and stuff everything. Now did I listen :roll: , No :( , and it got me. Have fun :wink: , but

IT WILL HURT,

FITZY.

uptomynutsinruts
Hard Yaka

Postby uptomynutsinruts » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:11 pm

^ This man is correct :lol:
I killed my 1kzte in the mak (Cracked head, blew turbo, snapped crank, bent conrod and hydauliced #3 cylinder) First time out there playing in it really, swore I would never go back, and can honestly say I haven't.
So many horror stories and mates that have wrecked their gear down there. Not trying to put you off, just saying if you're going, stay out of any silty shit you see, and stay out of the mudholes.
Any pics of your D1 for us landrover loving perves? :lol:

Have fun out there mate

flatsix
Driver/Navigator

Postby flatsix » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:56 pm

All good points, actually the only thing I like about the 'mak is pumping it through a Hamilton unit

But its nice and close and good to test the gear before you find yourself halfway through the Clyde or Havelock wondering how badly this is going to end when you watch the bonnet disappear!

The WEHI
Hard Yaka

Postby The WEHI » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:08 pm

If the time suits i might come lend my land anchor (cruiser) :mrgreen: but ill be staying out of any silt/mud.
The_wehi@hotmail.com
(027 788 1046)
pzj70,35's,Lockers,Winch and some stickers for added flex.
^^Soon to be on safari axles and 5.13's, 37's linked front and rear^^
Ln60 project (money pit) <-- Sold
Pzj77 Turbo/auto,33's .

tycho
Hard Yaka

Postby tycho » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:15 am

Congrats on the truck. I like the Waipara river around the motorway bridge as a practice venue. Can't get into too much trouble but enough soft stuff to keep it interesting. No horrible Mak silt either :)

bobthepainter
Driver/Navigator

Postby bobthepainter » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:50 pm

Hi Flatsix I too have a series 1 disco, had it 8months now its my daily driver clocking 500k's a week commuting to work v8 an all. I ripped the plastic spoiler and bumper end caps off first time I went for a play in the waimak, damn shingle bank. Used mine to rescue my friends Safari when he got it stuck in the selwyn river up near hororata, his truck was sitting on its belly in soft gravel. I live out in Southbridge bout 50k's from Hornby.

Return to “Range Rover / Land Rover”