Battery drain

Disco Gofer
Hard Yaka

Battery drain

Postby Disco Gofer » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:52 pm

Hi guys, ok so sorted one Disco out with new winch cables and second battery so now for my TD300.

I have had battery drain for about a year now and can't find it. I disconnected the pos and bridged the amp meter across the terminals and get 0.21 amps draw. I have removed one fuse at a time and haven't seen much improvmant at all and have also had the 12 month old battery tested and it's passed perfectly fine. Infact I have two identical except 730 amp batteries in both trucks and swapped them around after having both tested and it's the same.

If the truck stands for 5 days it barely starts and this is with a small solar panel hooked up to try keep it sort of charged. I have run out of ideas and even had the alternator disconnected but no joy. The only after market items are the radio, two roof mounted 22" LED bars and a pair of 260watt Hella rally spots. Had these all disconnected as well.

What have I missed please?

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Re: Battery drain

Postby BlakeNZ » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:55 pm

is .21 amps much draw? the reason I ask, is that my mechanic suggested they use .25 as the trigger point at which they consider there is a problem... I guess at the end of the day, the problem is the battery is being drained. Maybe a plug in trickle charger until you find the solution?

Disco Gofer
Hard Yaka

Postby Disco Gofer » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:36 am

Yer, I have a trickle charger for my bike which I could use but really want to find the reason. One small solar charger from Super cheap makes the battery last about 5/6 days then it will not start. With the solar panel is gets 4/5 days and sits on 11.6 volt approx.
I'm measuring the voltage every morning at 7ish and when I get home round 6 and each time its lost about .3v.......

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:16 am

11.6 is not enough to charge a car battery needs to be 13+ volts not including any draw from radio memory alarms etc.

Effectively the solar charger isn't doing anything significant to help the situation.

You may want to get the starter/solenoid checked out as that would be another culprit since its hooked to the battery full time
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Postby MihiT » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:14 pm

It sounds to me like an earth leak somewhere, this could be in the starter as sugested, the other likely culprit is the alternator.
Failing either of these, a wire rubbed through somewhere to earth, or even corroded or dodgy connection on the hot side, again, alt and starter would be the first culprits, pull the conectors and hose them with CRC, plug and unplug them a few times to scuff the contact surfaces.
- 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
- 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
1989 LWB 5-Seat parts hack. TD42

noexitroad
Hard Yaka

Postby noexitroad » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:46 pm

I recently had a an abs fault with mine which turned out to be a faulty abs relay. Caused by water leaking from ( I suspect) around the windscreen. This also caused my battery to slowly discharge as the relays under the glovebox were filling up with water. I suggest you pop the glovebox out and have a look at the relays and where they mount onto the bracket, and look for any water or rust spots around the relays. If it looks like there has been water there, pop the covers off the relays and take a look at the relays on the inside. You will see straight away if there has been water in them.
Good luck

Disco Gofer
Hard Yaka

Postby Disco Gofer » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:59 pm

Yer, the starter is next on the list of things to disconnect. I have done the alternator and nothing changed. I also unplugged my LED light bar relay, reverse LED switch, radio and still the same draw/ voltage loss. I will pop the power cable off the starter tonight as I don't use the old banger on week days so its perfect for disconnecting one thing at a time every 24 hours and measuring the change. Will keep you folks posted as a matter of interest.

I even removed the battery and fitted a thin rubber matt to the bottom and also make a strip for the mount bracket as well just to be sure.

Return to “Range Rover / Land Rover”