Fitting castor correction plates (80 series)

Filmz64
Driver/Navigator

Fitting castor correction plates (80 series)

Postby Filmz64 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:13 am

Hey guys,
Trying to sort out my suspension issues and have managed to score some castor correction plates.
I tried to fit them yesterday and had a bloody mission to line them up, I ground off the bottom of the diff mount as required, but couldn't for the life of me rotate the diff enough to line up the rear diff mount with the raduis arm.
Also it seems that the steering center link is going to hit the radius arm.

Anyone got any ideas, or do I just bite the bullet and get someone else to do it?

turoa
Pyro Junior

Re: Fitting castor correction plates (80 series)

Postby turoa » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:48 am

Have you stuck the top bolt in the caster correction plates (looking from the front). make sure all bolts are loose and then its a whole lotta levering. Also yes, the tie rod does hit and bend when offroad which is why caster plates are a poor option for these trucks

Filmz64
Driver/Navigator

Postby Filmz64 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:33 pm

Yeah I printed off some instructions from both superior engineering and Ironman to fit them, but I had a 3 meter piece of boiler pipe wedged under the diff and still couldn't lever it enough to line everything up.

The instructions also say to grind a section of the radius arm to clear the tie rod?

Did have a look at getting super flex arms, but at $1300 Aus plus freight, I don't think so.

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:49 pm

turoa wrote: Also yes, the tie rod does hit and bend when offroad which is why caster plates are a poor option for these trucks

That's interesting.. wondered why I had bent mine.. :shock: will keep an eye out for that.. :wink:

Lchundy
Hard Yaka

Postby Lchundy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:29 pm

Big wrote:
turoa wrote: Also yes, the tie rod does hit and bend when offroad which is why caster plates are a poor option for these trucks

That's interesting.. wondered why I had bent mine.. :shock: will keep an eye out for that.. :wink:

Hmm so the more you lift the suspension the more you bend the tie rod?
Doing a 5 inch lift to mine,supplier failed to mention this :o

turoa
Pyro Junior

Postby turoa » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:03 pm

Lchundy wrote:
Big wrote:

Hmm so the more you lift the suspension the more you bend the tie rod?
Doing a 5 inch lift to mine,supplier failed to mention this :o

Not so much the more you lift, as the caster plates dial it back a certain amount of degrees to get it as close to stock as possible, but yes. Pretty much over a 4-5" lift you have issues once it starts flexing. Onroad its not an issue. Its one of the reasons why I do radius arm flip/xlink mods. Makes it drive 10x better and solves the whole tie rod issue :mrgreen:

Lchundy
Hard Yaka

Postby Lchundy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:13 pm

^Ok thanks for that
Can you post up a link with a bit of info on radius arm flip/xlink.
can see myself getting bit pist off after a day of fun 4 wheeling then hitting the tarmac and the steering is on the piss.

Filmz64
Driver/Navigator

Postby Filmz64 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:50 pm

The diff I got the plates off, had a bent tierod and the radius arms hadn't been altered, at the time just thought it had caught on something in the bush, but in hind sight everytime it flexed and turned hard lock, the tierod was forced up and along the arm.

Hey Turoa, I'd also be keen to get some idea of how you tackle the issue, cheers.

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:13 am

ditto Turoa.. :mrgreen:

Return to “Toyota”