Cruiser/Prado chassis centers/ coils???

ski
Hard Yaka

Cruiser/Prado chassis centers/ coils???

Postby ski » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:32 am

Does any one know if the Prado chassis rails are narrow in the front to allow for coils compared to a 1991 73 series cruiser with leaf springs?. I am thinking of going for coils in a MWB 1Hz cruiser. Reading a few posts,guys have gone for nissian or 80 series diffs etc .Just thinking aloud ... Cheers.

Clint
Hard Yaka

Re: Cruiser/Prado chassis centers/ coils???

Postby Clint » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:25 am

Hi Mate, I've got the prado coil centre dimensions noted somewhere, will dig em up for you tonight. There may not be much in it as the chassis needs to be narrower to allow for the wheels to turn anyway, plus Nissan GQ or 80 series axles are a fair bit wider so you should have space to play with.

Cheers
Clint
UZJ71 Landcruiser
Jeep J20 - 1UZ-FE powered (part owner)
KTM 640

If it breaks, build it stronger.
If it doesn't break, drive it harder.

ski
Hard Yaka

Postby ski » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:33 am

Cheers dude,will be interesting to see the difference,I don,t want to go with longer axles etc trying to stay with my diffs,axles to keep costs down may have to go bigger if chassis rails are smaller. Cheers for your reply.

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Postby kbushnz » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:20 pm

I have some chassis dimensions on file somewhere for both trucks. Plus can measure my one as it's out in the open at present. Will have a dig later tonight when I get home from work.
Cheers Calvin
KZJ78 Landcruiser Prado...

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Postby kbushnz » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:53 pm

ok here is the chassis dimensions
They don't really show the chassis width....I will measure my KZJ78 in the morning...
He is the one for a HZJ73
And now a LJ78 Prado
Image[/URL]
Cheers Calvin

ski
Hard Yaka

Postby ski » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:32 pm

Thanks for the info,it will be great to see what your truck measures.Cheers.

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Postby kbushnz » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:45 am

For my KZJ78 Prado the dimension from the outside of the chassis frames at the coil perches is 730mm.
On a side note I will have some perches and drop boxes available from my old chassis when I cut it up sometime in the new year.
Will also save the panhard rod mounts too.
Cheers Calvin

ski
Hard Yaka

Postby ski » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:13 am

Hiya, 730mm same as mine,that means the Prado front axle etc is wider than my 73 series ,they must have done that so they can fit coils in. If you have the time can you measure your front assembly ? Does any one else know if the front axle is bigger or same as 80 series?. Thanks Calvin I would be keen on your parts when they become available. Cheers Colin.

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Postby kbushnz » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:19 am

What other dimensions do you need... As my whole truck is in bits so easy to measure... Throw up a list.
Cheers Calvin

ski
Hard Yaka

Postby ski » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:24 am

Hi just at this stage ,am I right in thinking the front axle etc is bigger than my 73 series?. Cheers.................

ski
Hard Yaka

Postby ski » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:08 pm

Just spent hrs looking for info,I think I have worked out the prado and my 73 cruiser share the same length axles ,so that means the prado uses a small front coil spring that fits in between tyre and chassis rail.. I take it that guys use 80 series axles etc so they can use bigger coil springs and stronger diffs ... .. Question is has any one used there 70 series diffs and gone coils?????.

pruggerdore
Hard Yaka

Postby pruggerdore » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:42 pm

Hi Colin Ski. I have a bare lj78 prado chassis on diffs if you want to come Have a lookskie measure up.
Cheers Clive

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:06 pm

1001 ways to skin a cat mate but IMO I wouldn't want to put a smaller and relatively weaker diff and radius arms in the front of a heavy cruiser probably ok for a road truck but not for what they were built to do, personally I'd shove a safari axle under it or even better coil the axle you've already got in there you can cut all the shit off an 80 series or similar and weld it all on, plate the chassis and make a good wrap around gusseted mount for the panhard theres a fair bit of stress on the mount and have a good look around the front cross member while your at it they start getting a bit thin and start cracking with old age, rust and newly added stress :D

ski
Hard Yaka

Postby ski » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:23 pm

Cheers Clive,Amazing whats on your door step,,, with info from Calvin and other info from the net answered my question about Prado chassis sizes,cheers Derk , I certainly will go for the bigger diffs etc just need more info on fitting coils into existing diff???. Cheers all.

Return to “Toyota”