Hilux disc conversion combinations

catalystracing
Hard Yaka

Hilux disc conversion combinations

Postby catalystracing » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:04 pm

Have been looking around on here and the net as to what ppl have used for the rear disc conversions for the Hilux.
Thought it could be a useful resource to post what you used here and maybe admin could sticky it so we can use it easily.
Any traps or bonuses that you encountered would be good also.

Found so far-:
MR2 Cailpers 22v with lj78/hilux rotors.
Bluebird calipers with hilux rotors

chrome
Hard Yaka

Re: Hilux disc conversion combinations

Postby chrome » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:41 pm

I spoke to a chap here in Welly that says that Volvo calipers are good. Reason being is that you can run fiddles on the rear with them?????
DIRTY OLD HILUX
022 519 7700

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:41 pm

The bluebird calipers are about as good as original drums they just don't have the same issue as drums do with mud, that same caliper with slight variations in mount offset difference and hand brake pull direction can be found on the rear of alot of cars, arx bluebird, several different models of the Mitzi gallant there was a mazda one as well.... at least 4 other makes and models that use this caliper.... sorry been a while since I used to make kits for these
Other options I have done
Isuzu Bighorn calipers.... bigger piston dia than the above, but hard to find a good working set they seem to have an issue of seizing on the bighorn axle.... I haven't had this issue on the set I fitted to a hilux axle
And the biggest piston dia cable handbrake calipers I've found are off the Jag xj12 sorry don't know which yr I picked them up from a clearing sale.... I can't tell you any more than they have a very large piston size as they are still in my parts store lol I never got around to using them but they will need a larger master and front brakes to match but they could be a good option for someone stuggling to get through the LVVTA brake test

catalystracing
Hard Yaka

Postby catalystracing » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:22 am

I understand the Hilux rotors to use are from the solid axle version, but now find there is two diameters to choose from, 289mm or 302mm, is one better than the other. :?:

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:27 pm

catalystracing wrote:I understand the Hilux rotors to use are from the solid axle version, but now find there is two diameters to choose from, 289mm or 302mm, is one better than the other. :?:

Just a tought...
The larger disc might make fitting a 15" rim a bit harder with less clearances etc. Being that 302mm eq 12" plus caliper and rim styles. Its getting quite tight at a guess

RayAllday89

Postby RayAllday89 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:25 pm

So a standard 106 solid front rotor is what id wanna use for my conversion? Ive got mr2 sw20 calipers.

catalystracing
Hard Yaka

Postby catalystracing » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:33 am

Hi RayAllday89,
that should be fine, as you can see there is many combinations. I started this thread to see if we could lock down some info, but it appears that people have been using all sorts over the years. :roll:

Good Luck :D

churchill
Hard Yaka

Postby churchill » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:40 pm

RayAllday89 wrote:So a standard 106 solid front rotor is what id wanna use for my conversion? Ive got mr2 sw20 calipers.

KZJ90 prado rear discs are a nice easy fit, they fit over the Hilux rear flanges. Is it a standard leaf spring hilux?

catalystracing
Hard Yaka

Postby catalystracing » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:31 pm

churchill wrote:
RayAllday89 wrote:So a standard 106 solid front rotor is what id wanna use for my conversion? Ive got mr2 sw20 calipers.

KZJ90 prado rear discs are a nice easy fit, they fit over the Hilux rear flanges. Is it a standard leaf spring hilux?

Great info cheers. 8)

Return to “Toyota”