Fixing 80series winch stall issue

Bruce Balis
Driver/Navigator

Fixing 80series winch stall issue

Postby Bruce Balis » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:44 am

The factory low mount winch is great, easy freespool, 50m of rope, but when the blimen thing almost stalls under heavy load it will wind in but not back out, last straw was a recent trip to the coast and it left me in a spot of bother. the issue is the clutch not releasing allowing the drum to spool out (leaving you with a clicking sound of the motor trying to turn backwards against a stubborn clutch) Google proved useless once again so i fixed the problem myself.
Attachments
008.JPG
006.JPG
004.JPG
a clutch from an iorn man winch
002.JPG
001.JPG
heres the motor side, showing the brake and clutch plates
Last edited by Bruce Balis on Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bruce Balis
Driver/Navigator

Re: Fixing 80series winch stall issue

Postby Bruce Balis » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:50 am

pretty much replacing the clutch plate one with a commonly used flat coil spring one.
Attachments
013.JPG
012.JPG
011.JPG
010.JPG
009.JPG

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Postby kbushnz » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:51 am

Nice work, have you tested the new brake yet?
I take it you checked the wiring and the solenoid to confirm its not a power supply issue to the motor causing it to stall?

But love the Kiwi ingenuity !

Calvin
Cheers Calvin
KZJ78 Landcruiser Prado...

Bruce Balis
Driver/Navigator

Postby Bruce Balis » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:09 pm

Sorry i havent managed to get the photos in order but i hope this will help anyone else out there like me that wants to fix their 80 series winch because they like it.....but mainly cant afford to buy another. When i pulled it apart there was no sign of any water which was brilliant (and suprising), when assembling it i used a high tack waterproof grease on every bush and seal i came across, and any thread i touch i use this shark oil based never cease.I pinched it off the old man, cause you know its good when its got bits of animal in it.
ive stalled the winch and it wound back out again, works perfectly, no more wind in and not wind out buisness
Attachments
001.JPG
015.JPG
013.JPG

Bruce Balis
Driver/Navigator

Postby Bruce Balis » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:17 pm

kbushnz, yeah i had checked the solenoids, im not running dual batterys but do have a new 810cca one, its been doing it for years so when it shore the end off the drive rod (from me clicking the hell out of it trying to get it to reverse) i figured it was time for some DIY...again

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:13 pm

Ah you are a very clever man there bud.
How and where did you source the spare parts from.
Ive got an toyota l.m sitting on bench which just about made it to the scrap bin because of this very issue.
Got a fast runva in its place but miss that pulling strenght on a single line.

May go back in if i can sort out how you did your mod :twisted:

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:02 am

mudlva wrote:Ah you are a very clever man there bud.
Ive got an toyota l.m sitting on bench which just about made it to the scrap bin because of this very issue.

Mine had the same problem, would have fixed it if I had known how... so much tidier
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

Bruce Balis
Driver/Navigator

Postby Bruce Balis » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:02 pm

wjw wrote:
mudlva wrote:Ah you are a very clever man there bud.

Mine had the same problem, would have fixed it if I had known how... so much tidier

I got the clutch from the parts bin at iorn man 4x4 but im sure theres a few other brands that use the same clutch system, not sure if you could buy it new on its own though.
drove the Bulletproof chasm the weekend just been so the winch was either going to shine on through or suck the kumara. pleased to say it worked absolutley perfectly, no issues whatso ever, with modding the inernals of the winch i also went to DC cunninghams (a welding shop in chch) and got them to crimp up a couple of lenghts of 50mm2 earthing cable to use as new leads, direct from the battery, (along with new terminals that had a large surface area for the new cables to go on) this made a noticeably BIG difference to the performance of the winch.

on another track it dragged me up on my axles a 7m bank and a non driving sheepshagger hilux up the same bit of bank straight after without any sign of slowing or heating, pretty bloody stoaked as the factory cables wouldnt of allowed that before.
Attachments
011.JPG

Return to “Toyota”