Hilux knuckle preload or lack there of

bigstu
Hard Yaka

Hilux knuckle preload or lack there of

Postby bigstu » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:53 am

Hi, finally got round to putting the hi steer ive had sitting in garage into goldie, done new axle seals wiper seals bearings etc as well.
Original arms and bearings had shit tons of shims i cant seem to get any preload on bearings ive tried removing all shims and the histeer arms didnt seat right down onto knuckle,
Put enough just shims in to fill the said gap, all torqued down theres no play up and down but with the fick of a finger on steering arm knuckle flops around any ideas? Bearings are the exact same brand and code etc
Thanks Stu

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Re: Hilux knuckle preload or lack there of

Postby kbushnz » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:11 am

I can only speak from my cruisers knuckles. if the steering arm wont fully seat then there might be a lip or something stopping it from fully sliding down the hole in the top....(or the bottom)
Mine would fully slide home with no shims before assy...
Once on the truck with no shims it could fully bear down on bearings and apply preload...
Obviously I put the same shims back as what was there before bearing change, torque it up and checked preload...
For me I needed to reduce them (remove same thickness from top and bottom so it stays in the middle)
Cheers Calvin
KZJ78 Landcruiser Prado...

bigstu
Hard Yaka

Re: Hilux knuckle preload or lack there of

Postby bigstu » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:12 pm

Never thought of that will pull apart next days off and have a look

Return to “Toyota”