Towing with auto 80

Beer_Cruiser
Hard Yaka

Towing with auto 80

Postby Beer_Cruiser » Wed May 20, 2020 6:42 pm

I'm using my 80 to tow my bush truck and I've had the Auto trans over heat light coming on.
I've got a very big hill climb to get to club land.
Last weekend after light came on I put my foot down got the vehicle speed up and the light went out.
So what I want to know is do I stay in a lower gear keeping the engine revs up or leave in drive and let engine labour. Thanks for any help
Malcolm

Beer_Cruiser
Hard Yaka

Re: Towing with auto 80

Postby Beer_Cruiser » Sun May 24, 2020 5:20 pm

So I flushed out the trans and clean the filter. There was a lot of metal filings in there.
Tow the bush truck up the hill on Saturday. I keeped the revs up and had no worries...
Hope that's sorted for a while

Ant
Hard Yaka

Postby Ant » Tue May 26, 2020 7:56 am

Had a mate having very similar issues. he was running big tyres and towing so that didnt help. main culprit was under filling the trans fluid. going back a while but from memory he was checking before it was at full operating temp and was checking in the wrong gear. (cant remember if it needs to be in park or neutral while running). The problem was sorted after referring to the manual :roll: :roll: and adding an external cooler. Shifting into a lower gear up hills will definitely help too.
92 LWB Safari TD42
95 4.5L Cruiser, AKA "Thirsty"

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Postby MihiT » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:08 am

One of the many reasons I avoid Autos.

Definitely keep it in lower gear. And If you can fit a trans-cooler, that's even better.
- 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
- 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
1989 LWB 5-Seat parts hack. TD42

Return to “Toyota”