Front spring leaf curve ?

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Front spring leaf curve ?

Postby BlakeNZ » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:59 pm

Hi. My 1984 LN65 (so diesel) hilux has pretty flat FRONT leaf springs. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what they should be like, or at what point to replace them? One of them is about dead flat, the other is a very slight "W" shape :(

Ant
Hard Yaka

Re: Front spring leaf curve ?

Postby Ant » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:55 am

Flat is not the end of the world and I would think that it was pretty normal for an older ute but would suggest looking at replacements soon if they are getting inverted or 'W' shaped.
you could just get some second hand ones as new replacements are usually quite expensive.
or you can get your old ones reset at a spring shop. I have done this on a few of my 4wds with good results and if you are loading up the tray or towing then they can add an extra spring to the pack - this will stiffen up the ride a bit though and reset leaves do sag quicker than new ones.
Try "archers auto springs". I have used them to reset my leaves on my hilux and two of my jeeps.
92 LWB Safari TD42
95 4.5L Cruiser, AKA "Thirsty"

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:59 pm

Thanks for that, Ant.
here's the reply from Autosprings..
We may be able to reset the springs and add an extra leaf it all depends on
the condition of the springs (won't know that until we pull them apart)
For reset with 1 extra leaf in each approx. $ 280 for the pair + G.S.T etc
(assumes springs are in good condition)
Cheers.

Personally I'm not sure I want an extra leaf in my front springs.

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:17 pm

So to update this thread, I bought a NEW pair of front leaf springs (standard height) and once installed (with new bushes) the front end lifted 50mm, but the mechanic said that this will settle over the next couple of weeks or so, so maybe drop 15-20mm. I intended to let this "settling" occur before I take it for a wheel alignment, however...
Archers Autosprings suggested it could take a couple of thousand km for this settling to occur, so I may have to align it as it sits.

Return to “Toyota”