Jimny Front Recovery Point (...again...I know!!)

obansam
Driver/Navigator

Jimny Front Recovery Point (...again...I know!!)

Postby obansam » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:11 pm

Hi,

I'm interested to know what other like minded Jimny owners have come up with for front recovery points. I know this is a constant source of discussion, but here's my experience so far:

I have an after market front hook fitted to my facelift Jimny. The Japanese sourced Apio hook (6mm) has not been able to handle the punishment I've thrown at it over the last 3 years. It had started to deform quite badly, so I took it off for a closer look and unfortunately found a small crack in the factory recovery point where it is welded to the underside of the chassis.

Once I get this repaired, I'm going to make a heavier bracket, 8mm, which will use the same concept. But I'm going to make the shackle connection point closer to the chassis and also pick up on the steering mounts (longer bolts required).

I would also extend the connection at the cross member (rear) to also clamp around the chassis. I'm also thinking a couple of 8mm gussets stitch welded in place will limit side deflection. I'm not 100% on the idea of utilising the steering box bolts, although the chassis is fitted with crush tubes so should be reasonable strong...

I've included photos showing the crack, Apio hook and my proposed fix. (not sure I've got sharing of photos sorted though...hmm)
I'm interested to know peoples what opinions are?

Cheers
Attachments
Crack.jpg
WP_20150829_17_10_30_Pro.jpg
WP_20150829_17_11_18_Pro.jpg
WP_20150829_17_14_52_Pro.jpg
Option1_A.JPG

Return to “Suzuki”