temp gauge

massivenuts
Winch master

temp gauge

Postby massivenuts » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:41 pm

Just installed a new autometer temp gauge in the vitara. It reads around 118c after warming up and stays there.

Have installed a new sender in the back of the thermostat housing which I think is the AC sender hole, Factory gauge is reading just under 1/2 on both senders.

Went and got one of those inline hose adapters for the top radiator hose and tried that, its right up around 118c also.

Does this seem too high for an operating temp?

New 82c thermostat has been installed and is functioning properly. fresh anitfreeze and no common signs of blown headgasket,

Going to try adding a better earth from block to body to see if that gives me a different reading, Any other ideas.

thanks

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Re: temp gauge

Postby BlakeNZ » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:12 pm

yeah something is wrong. The top hose would more likely be around 83-90 degrees max as a general rule under conditions you describe.
If you were driving it hard, or doing a long uphill, or on sand, it might climb to 100-105. If it was genuinely 118 degrees , the factory gauge would be up towards the red for sure. If the improved earth doesn't fix it, I would have to assume the gauge is faulty.

massivenuts
Winch master

Postby massivenuts » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:19 pm

[img]
B5FE37C0-CC0C-4235-96D4-18CFE7ABE517.jpeg
[/img]
BlakeNZ wrote:yeah something is wrong. The top hose would more likely be around 83-90 degrees max as a general rule under conditions you describe.
If you were driving it hard, or doing a long uphill, or on sand, it might climb to 100-105. If it was genuinely 118 degrees , the factory gauge would be up towards the red for sure. If the improved earth doesn't fix it, I would have to assume the gauge is faulty.

I reckon i got a dud gauge, tried a fat earth strap and nothing still, pulled the gauge and found that all the posts for where the spade terminals would connect are missing? Amazon will have another one here next thursday.
Attachments
B5FE37C0-CC0C-4235-96D4-18CFE7ABE517.jpeg

Mehrts
Hard Yaka

Postby Mehrts » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:28 pm

Just out of interest, what's the model of gauge you have? I've recently bought an Auto Meter 3337-M short sweep electric water temp gauge, and it seems to be reading low, although I haven't got much to back up my claim.

Your gauge definitely is missing the metal tabs for the electrical connections. Did you buy 2nd hand?
Toyhatsu Bitsalux

massivenuts
Winch master

Postby massivenuts » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:28 pm

Mehrts wrote:Just out of interest, what's the model of gauge you have? I've recently bought an Auto Meter 3337-M short sweep electric water temp gauge, and it seems to be reading low, although I haven't got much to back up my claim.

Your gauge definitely is missing the metal tabs for the electrical connections. Did you buy 2nd hand?

Part # 4337
Purchased new off amazon box was still sealed.
From what i have read you gotta have real good earths to get them to read right.

Return to “Suzuki”