Terrano d21 auto issue question.

Moderator: Mark

grytvikken
Hard Yaka

Terrano d21 auto issue question.

Postby grytvikken » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:09 am

Hi I have a friend that has an old d21 terrano diesel auto and he tells me that its suddenly not shifting into third gear. I have yet to drive it myself so I have to rely on his description of whats happening. Apparently it goes from 1st to 2 nd ok but it wont kick up into third. I was wondering if there would be any quick tests that I could try to see if its fatal or something like a valve or sensor issue. He is not very mechanical and I have a memory of when I first bought one of these models years ago that it would not go into OD??? ended up being a minor isssue regarding I think a valve??? any opinions before I get to drive it myself would be appreciated. Things I could look out for or try to attempt to pinpoint the issue. He took it to an auto mechanic but he just quickly said no mate its stuffed that will be 2 grand to fix at least. ..... more than the car is worth . I suspect the mechanic may have not been that interested and just blew him off... cheers

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Re: Terrano d21 auto issue question.

Postby BlakeNZ » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:33 pm

often a box will slip or be slow to shift when it is wearing out, whereas this seems to have suddenly not selected third.so hopefully it is a faulty solenoid. However, auto trans dudes see a lot of cars, and usually are pretty good on their diagnosis, so for me it is a 50/50 call. Given the age and mileage of D21 terranos these days...
I've swapped a few RWD auto trans in and out in my time, but 4wd ones are a whole different kettle of fish, mainly because that auto trans is connnected to a transfer case, and nissan D21 ones together weigh approx 150kg, so not so easy for me and a mate to do on a hoist.

grytvikken
Hard Yaka

Re: Terrano d21 auto issue question.

Postby grytvikken » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:55 pm

Thanks Blake for your opinion definately food for thought

Return to “Nissan”