TD42 Rebuild

Moderator: Mark

doby
Hard Yaka

TD42 Rebuild

Postby doby » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:12 pm

Hi all,

Over the weekend I acquired a compleat TD42 for $200. The plan is to strip it down and do a full rebuild on it then swap all my hi-flow manifold, turbo and warter to air intercooler onto it and drop it into my safari because my engen is getting hi km's and a bit of blow-by now.

The question is, has anyone done a rebuild on a TD42 befor, is there anything to look out for, are there any internial performance parts available for these and if so, where from?

At the moment I am runing a T3/T4 turbo on 20psi with a hi-flow manifold, wound up diesel pump, water to air intercooler and a 3''exhaust and its makeing good hp. Im planing on putting a remote oil cooler on and doing a few injecter pump mods aswell.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

ps, will post pics along the way.

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Re: TD42 Rebuild

Postby coxsy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:32 pm

the only idea i have is to have the short block
spin freely less friction more hp/kw
14 ltre scania's go from 500 to near 900
just by doing this
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

gary_in_nz
Hard Yaka

Postby gary_in_nz » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:22 pm

from what i gather with these motors is unless you are prepared to spend big bux the best bang for buck is to look at the induction side of things.

i would love to see what you come up with as i will soon need to do a bit of a rebuild i think getting the old blow by as well.

Are there performance cams and valves?? what about the likes of ported heads?? May have to look at a bigger better injector pump and custom injectors??

i will be watching this build!!
"If it ain't V8, take it back"
Warning: Opinions and Expressions may offend.

flyingbrick
Hard Yaka

Postby flyingbrick » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:13 pm

I've heard they really love a good port clean up.

I also got told by a turbodiesel company in hamilton that the rockers etc wear to such a degree that the valves are no longer opening as far as they should and so considerable power is lost. fixing this could be a good start.
phone Ross Bolus (secretary of the BOP club) He'll save you.

4WDbits
Hard Yaka

Postby 4WDbits » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:35 pm

Get hold of Aaron at Diesel & Tubochargers Rotorua. He knows what works (and what doesn't) with the TD42

KiwiBacon
Hard Yaka

Postby KiwiBacon » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:58 pm

Does it have piston oil squirters?
If not, then fitting some will help longevity. Especially if you're pushing it that hard.

doby
Hard Yaka

Postby doby » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:20 am

Yes, they do have oil injecters / squirters. Saw them in there when I removed the sump to fit the oil retern for the turbo and do big-end berings. The plan is to port and polish the head and put new valves in. Also going to look at the injector pump and injectors, maby biger plunger and injestors. I think there are perfomance cams avalible for these, will look into it a bit more. See how we go, might look at a new inlet manifold too. Going to strip down the engine today and get it all measurd up.

Will put up some pics thisarvo.

smurf182
Hard Yaka

Postby smurf182 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:38 am

Maybe look at some sort of bypass (toilet roll style) oil filtration system if you're going to all that effort and expense.

http://jackmasteroilfilters.com.au/

darinz
Hard Yaka

Postby darinz » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:15 pm

Be careful with getting the pre-combustion chamber fitted. They have a habit of coming loose if not fitted with the right amount of crush.
Use TD27 pistons as they are the same but much cheaper, don't ask why??
I'll second the "talk to Aaron in Rotorua". He is getting more power out of these than anyone else I know of in NZ and doing most of it through pump, injectors etc. For what some charge for a pump rebuild he will also do some upgrades.
There are significant gains to be made in flow in the head but don't know (yet) whether this will flow on to more power. ie don't know what the restriction for power really is.
If you are still running the standard inlet manifold then that is a problem once you start pushing it. It directs more flow into the inner cylinders than the outer ones.
A cam and follower grind is a good idea. Turbo and NA cams are quite different and if you're running a hybrid turbo then the standard cam won't be working 100%.

But ultimately it comes down to how much you want to spend!!
Nissan Terrano coilovers, turboed VH45, Safari axles, and some other stuff.

Return to “Nissan”