burning clutch when shifting

Moderator: Mark

tuckertrucker
Hard Yaka

burning clutch when shifting

Postby tuckertrucker » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:51 pm

Hiya ORE,

I've got a safari that smells like Im slipping the clutch everytime I change gear

Ill make the change, release the clutch and give it stick again, and according to my ass in the seat and the rev counter, its not slipping. But it smells like it. Any speed, any gear.

Any ideas?

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Re: burning clutch when shifting

Postby lax2wlg » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:03 am

Have you checked the pushrod on the clutch slave cylinder? It may need to be adjusted. Or if it is non adjustable type, you can adjust the pedal to make sure it is not loading up the pressure plate all the time. From memory the FSM calls for a decent amount of movement, 3-4mm IIRC. Otherwise the throwout bearing will be riding on the plate the whole time.
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

tuckertrucker
Hard Yaka

Re: burning clutch when shifting

Postby tuckertrucker » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:16 pm

nah definately not related to the throw out bearing. There is atleast 2 inches of movement before the clutch starts to disengage. The pedal feel is right, and there is no unusual noises in there either.

It only happens when I've made a shift.

So I could be sitting there with my foot on the clutch all day and not smell a thing (I know thats bad and I don't do that). But when I release the clutch is when you can smell it. It isn't slipping post shift either. So I'm out of ideas.

Return to “Nissan”