Turbo vs NA QD32 inlet manifold design.

Moderator: Mark

nickmcdonald
Driver/Navigator

Turbo vs NA QD32 inlet manifold design.

Postby nickmcdonald » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:01 pm

Hi all.

Just doing some boredom induced forum trawling, and ended up reading a few peoples opinions that the inlet manifold off of the naturally aspirated QD32 engines is one of the better inlets Nissan made for a diesel. A google search shows me that the four 'runners' on the NA version curl up and over the top of the engine before merging into the intake tract horizontally right above the rocker cover, whereas the turbo version merges into one almost immediately before the head on the vertical plane. Both air intake pipes appear to split off into the four runners fairly evenly as far as I can tell (both about central to the four runners), with the biggest difference being the overall length of the runners; the NA ones are a lot longer than the factory turbo version.

Whats the story here? Are people having success running the NA manifold on a turbo diesel? Do the longer inlet runners prove beneficial? Just curious is all!

Cheers.

johnny262
Hard Yaka

Re: Turbo vs NA QD32 inlet manifold design.

Postby johnny262 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:52 am

Yes.

https://www.offroadexpress.kiwi/Forums/ ... 18&t=29601

https://www.offroadexpress.kiwi/Forums/ ... hp?t=45031

From what I gather another common upgrade is fitting an airbox from a 1KZ Surf or 80 series Cruiser.

nickmcdonald
Driver/Navigator

Postby nickmcdonald » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:19 pm

I’d read the wax terrano build, but not that 2nd link you shared. Very interesting! It seems that the bd30 exhaust manifold is a nice flowing shape and another ‘off the shelf’ upgrade.

tweake
Hard Yaka

Postby tweake » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:13 pm

i have my doubt that anyone has actually tested the difference the manifolds themselves make, outside of "seat of the pants".

TD27 shares a lot of the head design from the TD42 which they have tested a huge amount. on those really short runners suit the port style a lot better than long runners. all depends on how close to the td42 port design your td27 is as i would bet there has been a few changes over the years.

i understand the QD32T is a whole different ball game.

Return to “Nissan”