42nd Traverse vegetation cut back Nov 10-11

skid
Tyre Man

Re: 42nd Traverse vegetation cut back Nov 10-11

Postby skid » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:55 pm

Ralfie wrote:its irrelevant what others have and haven't done. The point is that the ORE community have done nothing despite all the talk on here about helping out with this or other tracks.

I'm sure everybody has their reasons for not making it to this event, wether it was due to work constraints or vehicles not currently going or lack of funds due to the current economic climate or maybe there wasn't enough notice or maybe they just don't wish to help out.

PeterVahry wrote: there are some 6889 members of this forum who didn't take the risk of contributing their effort last weekend, so they remained safe.

For sure there are a lot of members on this forum but I would say its a safe bet to say that there are less than 1000 of them that are active on here and theres quite a few from the South Island or futher reaches of the North Island that just couldn't justify the trip away for hundereds of kms to clear a track they may never visit again.

Maybe a huge clean-up is required with lots of notice and lots of publication etc etc

Or maybe those that wish to do the track in the season its open could remember to take loppers etc and trim the track back as they go.

I do like the idea of the 4wd community contributing and the money possibly going towards a digger or 4wd tractor with shelter belt trimming attachments that would well and truly clear vegetation well back from the track so that it doesnt grow back sooner :idea: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
80 Series on 35" creepies, manual with twin factory lockers.

*CHILLAX BRO.*

klompy
Hard Yaka

Postby klompy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:44 pm

Ralfie wrote:its irrelevant what others have and haven't done. The point is that the ORE community have done nothing despite all the talk on here about helping out with this or other tracks.

Well I have never been there and if I did I would happily pay a fee for access but if others are using the track should they not contribute.How has the clearing of this track become the responsibility of ORE members.

PeterVahry
Hard Yaka

Postby PeterVahry » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:28 pm

Clearing the 42nd Traverse is not the responsibility of ORE members any more that any other 4x4 group, it's just that it seems to be others that do these things.
We do try to motivate other types of users but they are mostly individuals rather than members of groups that we can reach out through.

The whole thing with that route is that cyclists etc can use a much narrower track than 4x4's (although they really enjoy the wider ones) and don't feel they need to do anything until their use is threatened.

4x4 use is threatened by eroding edges above culverts and vegetation overgrowth as just two items and with a new DoC CMS still being drafted we need every bit of 'responsibility' to demonstrate that the 42nd Traverse can be managed sustainably for 4x4 use.

A little history may help... the existing CMS when written late last century outlawed any vehicle use on DoC lands (off legal roads) within the Tongariro/ Taupo conservancy. That was argued by a group called TFAG to allow use of at least the 42nd Traverse. We spent five years debating right up to the then Minister and the Conservation Authority and had the CMS reviewed. The case put forward was that four wheelers can look after the routes they use and that our activity can be sustainable. That worked, although we conceded a winter closure and we got access for 4x4's to that route through the Tongariro Forest.

That's why it is vital to maintain the respect of DoC and demonstrate that our community can manage to keep the route in good order. As I point out... there is a new CMS being written now.
http://www.doc.govt.nz/getting-involved ... sultation/

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:34 pm

PeterVahry wrote:A little history may help...

http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/Forums/ ... 27&t=33169

:wink: :wink:
80 Series on 35" creepies, manual with twin factory lockers.

*CHILLAX BRO.*

wopass
Hard Yaka

Postby wopass » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:11 am

i did some vegitation trimming last time i was in there as support for a group of moutain bikers, the old 40 is a bit higher and wider than most that go in there so it tends to take a few branches off on the way :mrgreen:
If you already know everything, DON'T ask bloody questions!!

Return to “Events”