Manukau Winch Challenge 2014

themudman2
Driver/Navigator

Re: Manukau Winch Challenge 2014

Postby themudman2 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:24 pm

All,

It was not my intention to release forms to previous competitors in advance of general publication. That's just how it happened as I'm mindful that I'm really late with getting these ready. As I have stated above, the full set of documents will be published on the Manukau 4WD site in about a week. So, sorry for any confusion.

Here you go. All is done. Forms are here: http://www.manukau4wd.org.nz/links.htm

Dave

themudman2
Driver/Navigator

Postby themudman2 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:50 pm

Hi all,

As at this morning there were 18 entries received. 8 Modified, 1 Challenge, 6 Club, 1 Manukau and 2 from people who can't fill in forms.

If you think you have entered but have not had an email reply from me then please PM me with your email address and I'll get back to you.

Dave

monstr
Hard Yaka

Postby monstr » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:10 pm

OOps Sorry dave forgot ,will drop off entry in your mailbox tomorrow .

Ant
Hard Yaka

Postby Ant » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:53 pm

1 manukau. :shock:
Man I thought there were going to be way more.
Come on guys must be a few more of you wanting to get into comps. This must be one of the best ways to start out
92 LWB Safari TD42
95 4.5L Cruiser, AKA "Thirsty"

Ralfie
Hard Yaka

Postby Ralfie » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:35 pm

Ant wrote:1 manukau. :shock:
Come on guys must be a few more of you wanting to get into comps. This must be one of the best ways to start out

Probably all too busy organising the event and then marshalling on the day so others can enjoy themselves.

Mudde1
Hard Yaka

Postby Mudde1 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:31 pm

Ralfie wrote:

Probably all too busy organising the event and then marshalling on the day so others can enjoy themselves.

or panel beating there vehicle
Tony.

tuff lux
Hard Yaka

Postby tuff lux » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:30 am

I'm really keen to get into the winch challenge side of things was looking to enter but busy that weekend

themudman2
Driver/Navigator

Postby themudman2 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:19 am

Hi all,

Entries did officially close yesterday but there is still room for a few more.

Dave

Ant
Hard Yaka

Postby Ant » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:32 am

Mudde1 wrote:
Ralfie wrote:

or panel beating there vehicle

Don't need good panels for winch comp Tony
92 LWB Safari TD42
95 4.5L Cruiser, AKA "Thirsty"

Batfastard
Dr. Love Glove

Postby Batfastard » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:46 pm

Yeah im one that cant fill a form in .need to get some ink for printer . Club class for me ,maybe should do challange ,as it looks like i would come second :D

monstr
Hard Yaka

Postby monstr » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:15 pm

think a couple more late entries are challenge class :)

Batfastard
Dr. Love Glove

Postby Batfastard » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:23 pm

Could of got a forth then :)

monstr
Hard Yaka

Postby monstr » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:25 pm

Ha Ha ,I like your thinking :lol:

themudman2
Driver/Navigator

Postby themudman2 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:51 am

Hi all,

As at 7 this morning there were 24 entries received. 12 Modified, 3 Challenge, 6 Club, 2 Manukau and 1 from someone who can't fill in forms.

If you think you have entered but have not had an email reply from me then please PM me with your email address and I'll get back to you.

There is room for another 6.

Dave

themudman2
Driver/Navigator

Postby themudman2 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:41 am

Hi all,

Spent Saturday in the shitty weather with several other keen ones at the farm.
It looks as though there will be six stages set for Friday night. Same as last year one group (Manukau and Club) will do three stages and the other group (Challenge and Modified) will do the other three.
As for Saturday, we have a total of fourteen stages planned. Each competitor will drive twelve stages depending on the class.

Same as last year competitors will be given a starting stage number and then free reign to choose their stage order for the rest of the day.

We will again have a variation of our classic 'under the bridge' stage.

That's all for now.

Dave

monstr
Hard Yaka

Postby monstr » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:17 pm

Sounds good .will try not to hit the bridge this time :roll: :lol:

Madaz
Hard Yaka

Postby Madaz » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:45 pm

:( so that means if ur quick you could end up being first on many of the stages? Not very sporting? Rotating groups and starting order gives everyone a fair crack at the tracks? And how do you enforce the repair time limit?

Ashohman
Hard Yaka

Postby Ashohman » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:56 pm

? 24 entries and each one starting on a different stage I don't see how you can possibly go 1st on any stage but the one you start on as 12 day stages you may not get to go 1st at all.

themudman2
Driver/Navigator

Postby themudman2 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:04 pm

Madaz wrote::( so that means if ur quick you could end up being first on many of the stages? Not very sporting? Rotating groups and starting order gives everyone a fair crack at the tracks? And how do you enforce the repair time limit?

If you think it through you will realise that there are some basic maths to consider. All stages will commence at the same time and will run until they are closed either individually or together by me at the end of the day. If there are 12 stages and 12 competitors then all 12 competitors will be first on a stage if they are all allocated a different starting stage. Obviously if there are 24 competitors then 12 of them will miss out being first off on a stage. No way I can change that. So how is it possible for one competitor to start first on more than one stage??? It doesn't matter if you are Mr Energiser. It just isn't going to happen.
What is going to happen is if a stage has a backlog due to difficulty or breakage, competitors may choose to move elsewhere to continue the event. It is entirely their choice. It has absolutely nothing to do with what you call 'sporting'. There have always been other 'sporting' issues with rotating groups but I won't go into those details here.
I am committed to running an efficient event which will give thinking competitors maximum seat time and as little wait time as possible.

Dave

themudman2
Driver/Navigator

Postby themudman2 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:18 pm

And another thing.

I think this is a first for Manukau. We have our first all ladies team entering in Manukau Class.
They will be driving a red Jeep Wrangler rag top.
I would ask that other competitors give them every assistance they can and advise me or Ant (head marshal) on channel 19 if there are issues which are not immediately resolvable.
And before you start howling favouritism, it is simply courteousness.

So give me and them a break.

Dave

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Postby kbushnz » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:05 pm

Hey Dave. Keep up the good work. Last years event went just fine and used the same format. As for helping out the ladies.... we should be helping...coaching..encoraging all the manukau class entrants. They are the future serious winch challenge contestants......

looking forward to getting muddie

Calvin (Tony Smiths navi)
Cheers Calvin
KZJ78 Landcruiser Prado...

themudman2
Driver/Navigator

Postby themudman2 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:13 am

Madaz wrote::( And how do you enforce the repair time limit?

And finally, the rules refer to groups in 1.6 where group selection is detailed and again in 49.2 where a 15min repair time is associated with a group.
Nowhere in the rules is the function of a group effectively detailed.

At Manukau, there is one group which comprises all competitors.
The 15 minute repair time is theoretically therefore 15 minutes after the previous competitor has completed the last stage that the broken competitor has not yet completed.

Let's get real. We are all there to have a successful event and I'm sure we will all assist a broken competitor if we can.

In the case where a competitor needs to leave the event to collect spares, we ask that they make their intention known and the expected time frame to the girls at the coffee cart on their way out as I may need to know the whereabouts of a missing competitor towards the end of the day.

By the way, there will be a base radio at the coffee trailer to assist in event co-ordination.

Dave

Madaz
Hard Yaka

Postby Madaz » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:27 pm

Dave, the only reason i posted the comment is because i was hoping that the format did not lend itself to abuse where some competiors might be finished hours before others and that having unlimited time to complete repairs also favoured those with large service crews.

It seem that you have taken both issues into account, so it shouldnt be a problem.

Cheers Tim

themudman2
Driver/Navigator

Postby themudman2 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:33 pm

Madaz wrote:Dave, the only reason i posted the comment is because i was hoping that the format did not lend itself to abuse where some competiors might be finished hours before others and that having unlimited time to complete repairs also favoured those with large service crews.

It seem that you have taken both issues into account, so it shouldnt be a problem.

Cheers Tim

Hi Tim,

As you well know, it's all a big balancing act. I really do hope we can set a mixture of technical, fast, steep, slow, wet, dry, wide, narrow stages which will keep everyone going for most of the day. No doubt I will spend much of Friday resetting for the weather component too.

In my opinion a short repair time tends to disadvantage the less prepared more than the well prepared competitors. But every event is different. We'll just have to wait and see.

It'll be good to see you again.

Dave

themudman2
Driver/Navigator

Postby themudman2 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:43 pm

All,

Another update on entries. There are now 28 entries. Only room for another couple.

Manukau 5, Club 8, Challenge 3, Modified 12.

Those who haven't fully paid up need to get a wriggle on.
Any competitor owing money (other than Saturday dinner) to the event will not start.

I have finished negotiation for the cost of the dinner on Saturday night. As previously stated, entry fees will cover the dinner costs of drivers, co-drivers and officials.
I asked you to give me an idea of the number of dinner guests on your entries. Guests other than driver & co-driver will need to come up with $15 folding each.
This will be collected by Tom in the nearest caravan to the doors at the rugby club.
Please have cash available as there are no ATM's in Onewhero.

Also, it looks as though the bar will not be open on either Friday or Saturday nights (bar manager issues). So be adequately self supplied.

Dave

themudman2
Driver/Navigator

Postby themudman2 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:12 pm

All,

It seems we are short on marshals for Saturday 18th. If you can help, please PM me and I'll put you in contact with Ant, the Head Marshal.

Thanks.

Dave.

monstr
Hard Yaka

Postby monstr » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:50 pm

Just to help you out Dave we will self marshal ,will give you our time and penalties . :wink: :wink: :lol:

themudman2
Driver/Navigator

Postby themudman2 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:20 am

monstr wrote:Just to help you out Dave we will self marshal ,will give you our time and penalties . :wink: :wink: :lol:

Well that could be the coming thing Steve. Bernie has been crapping on about that for the last few weeks too!

Dave

Madaz
Hard Yaka

Postby Madaz » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:41 pm

Hi Dave, is there any info coming out on what time we need to be at scrutineering, and what time racing starts on Friday, as well as what time we need to be ready to go on Saturday morning.
Cheers
Tim

themudman2
Driver/Navigator

Postby themudman2 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:37 pm

Hi Tim et al,

The time line looks like this at the moment:
3:00 to 7:00pm Scrutineering at Onewhero Rugby Club as competitors are available.
7:00pm Marshal briefing at farm entrance
7:30pm Drivers briefing at Onewhero Rugby Club
7:38pm Sunset
8:00pm Competition begins providing the marshals are ready for you.

There are three night stages for Challenge and Modified Classes and three other night stages for Manukau and Club Classes.
You will be allocated a start stage number. From there you may choose your next stage.

On Saturday morning it looks like this:
7:00am Marshal briefing at farm entrance
7:30am Drivers briefing at Onewhero Rugby Club
8:00am Competition Begins providing the marshals are ready for you.

We had a very productive day yesterday and finalised most of the stages. There is a mixture: one or two the same as we see them as 'classics'. Several new including one long night stage for Challenge/Modified. One night stage especially for Steve and Bernie who really do want to self marshal (but as always, there is a catch). We are utilising two new areas, one for night and the other for day stages.

The help and support we have had from our club members setting this up has been fantastic. Well done guys & gals.

Regards to all,

Dave

Return to “Events”