Bump Steer Testing

PeterVahry
Hard Yaka

Re: Bump Steer Testing

Postby PeterVahry » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:39 am

http://www.nz-hotrod.com/vbulletin/show ... ysprune=-1

A thread on the NZ Hotrod site containing the coroners report.

muddyhilux
Hard Yaka

Postby muddyhilux » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:49 pm

ok so after reading every word of that report 3 things stand out

1 the guy who did the mods is a cheap ass who was more interested in pushing things into where he wanted them rather than engineering it correctly ie modified sump(completely common thing)

2 the guy the knew he had modified the steering but did not acknowledge this at time of cert which could be for many reasons,1st i suggest because he new it would probably fail and 2nd due to the fact he may have already know he'd have to take it somewhere else for inspection more than likely at a higher cost

3 the certifier did not do his job correctly and spot the mods which he later acknowledged where clearly visible and after even noting the steering was sensitive did not inspect or question further,which was even noted by new owner later in report and even he did nothing about it

of course it is sad that some one has died because of this but at the end of the day this was avoidable

just like with people doing dodgy things to pass a wof people will try put all sorts of things through the cert process,and its also these people that will further modify after cert plates without knowing exactly what's going on

as for the specific bump steer testing now involved as said it relates to ifs front ends not solid axle,removing springs or compressing suspension to check steering and wheel clearances yes i completely agree but bump steer on solid axle is a waste of time
1990 surf 350 chevy jacked up and currently under construction again

crazyclark31
Hard Yaka

Postby crazyclark31 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:12 pm

yep agree with that ^^^^^^^^.
For solid axles they should only be checking for steering clearances and castor/toe in/out. And the usual bushes etc

At the end of they day the accident only happened because some who is there to aviod these things from happening didn't do their job properly and should be held more accountable.

tomsoffroad
Flopsie

Postby tomsoffroad » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:51 pm

Righto I can clear this up for solid axle swap trucks :D Yes the test has to be done at the extra cost :( However the only problems that might arise will be interference issues. Toe in/ toe out isnt really a cert issue unless the truck is an absolute dog at road test time.
Yes the extra cost is a pain but there is nothing in this rule to stop us doing sas's :D

mikee
Hard Yaka

Postby mikee » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:29 pm

All in all the LVVTA is a good thing sure costs some dollars but we are lucky we can mod our vehicles go thru the process and still keep them legal.

PeterVahry
Hard Yaka

Postby PeterVahry » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:21 pm

"Yes the test has to be done at the extra cost"
The cost suggested by the certifier who prompted this discussion is not a prescribed fee for the bump steer checks and may vary quite a bit, so negotiate.

tallsam66
Hard Yaka

Postby tallsam66 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:37 pm

PeterVahry wrote:"Yes the test has to be done at the extra cost"
The cost suggested by the certifier who prompted this discussion is not a prescribed fee for the bump steer checks and may vary quite a bit, so negotiate.

From what ive heard all the prices are fixed as a minor modification inspection is the same price as a massive modifications....some might call this price fixing & uncompetitive.

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:11 pm

oh try and get hold of a cert guy in Auckland :roll: :roll:
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

PeterVahry
Hard Yaka

Postby PeterVahry » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:46 pm

From what ive heard all the prices are fixed as a minor modification inspection is the same price as a massive modifications....some might call this price fixing & uncompetitive.[/quote]

There is a set fee required by LVVTA but certifiers can put their own margin on and in this case I noted the certifier was indicating an additional $200 for the bump steer test. Where there's a limited number of certifiers, they might have a bit of a captive market.

A 'cert' can't just look at the 'latest' modification but is required to consider the whole vehicle, as one 'mod' can effect other areas... giving rise to the sort of problem with the Subaru steering.

tallsam66
Hard Yaka

Postby tallsam66 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:24 pm

PeterVahry wrote:From what ive heard all the prices are fixed as a minor modification inspection is the same price as a massive modifications....some might call this price fixing & uncompetitive.

There is a set fee required by LVVTA but certifiers can put their own margin on and in this case I noted the certifier was indicating an additional $200 for the bump steer test. Where there's a limited number of certifiers, they might have a bit of a captive market.

A 'cert' can't just look at the 'latest' modification but is required to consider the whole vehicle, as one 'mod' can effect other areas... giving rise to the sort of problem with the Subaru steering.[/quote]

NO...its a monopoly ....1 organisation sets the rules (LVVTA) they approve the certifiers & they set the prices ....MONOPOLY.

Mudde1
Hard Yaka

Postby Mudde1 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:07 am

[quote/]

NO...its a monopoly ....1 organisation sets the rules (LVVTA) they approve the certifiers & they set the prices ....MONOPOLY.[/quote]
That may be the case, but what do you suggest as an alternative? Should we just do away with LVVTA which would result in no modification being allowed at all, or are you suggesting there be no control on modification and allow any one to do anything they like. The current setup is the result of a group of far sighted individuals and groups doing a lot of hard work and is an excellent compromise that suits the needs of the majority of people. Sure there are some costs, but it is a small price to pay compared to many other countries where modification is much much more difficult, or there are large numbers of horrific accidents caused by dangerous vehicles.
If any one can suggest improvements to the current system that will be beneficial to the majority after considering all the implications, we could use our position within LVVTA to push for change, but currently we get no formal complaints, and very few constructive suggestions. just moans and groans on internet forums.
Tony Burgess
President
NZFWDA.
Tony.

tomsoffroad
Flopsie

Postby tomsoffroad » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:51 am

Couldnt agree more ^^^^^^^^^. :wink:
Our system is pretty good.

Sadam_Husain
Angry bird

Postby Sadam_Husain » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:29 am

If theres such big money to be made doing LV certification work why is there such a shortage of certifiers in NZ?

muddyhilux
Hard Yaka

Postby muddyhilux » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:45 pm

PeterVahry wrote:"Yes the test has to be done at the extra cost"

this makes me happier. I'm all for safety and modifying vehicles properly which means I'm all for having lvvta and am great full for all their hard work.just got annoyed at that price for a test which will only tell me of interference issues and toe adjustment.a person who builds these trucks for example should already be doing these checks when setting up so there is no interference and the vehicle should have already have had a wheel alignment before getting to cert.if price varies and is set in respect to what the certifier is checking then i can live with it as i want to modify my vehicles :lol:

have you tried lance at freelance automotive coxsy?always found him very easy to deal with and quick to get back to me,usually within half an hour.he works from home now so its a bit more travel but very good customer service
1990 surf 350 chevy jacked up and currently under construction again

Return to “Land Access / DOC legislation / Regulations”