42 Traverse cut back 2015

PeterVahry
Hard Yaka

Re: 42 Traverse cut back 2015

Postby PeterVahry » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:04 pm

DoC had indicated that they would open the 42 Traverse on 1 Dec. Give them a call at the Whakapapa office.

stovanovich
Hard Yaka

Postby stovanovich » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:23 pm

Not good news I'm afraid folks, just emailed the office and this was the reply:

"Due to the recent heavy rain the 42 Traverse will not be open to 4WD’s until an assessment has been completed. That should be this week and will be updated on our website once completed. It will remain open to bikes, horses and walkers." :(
Te Rino
'92 Nissan Terrano | Intercooled TD27T | 33 x 10.5s
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=42742
"Hubs In, Caps Off"

spanky
Hard Yaka

Postby spanky » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:12 pm

was up there on sunday and the doc signage says open to vehicles from 1st of december,blackberry has gone crazy so will start spraying that in the next couple of weeks,most of the track is in pretty good condition,

stovanovich
Hard Yaka

Postby stovanovich » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:42 pm

We spoke to DOC ranger again today and he says they are assessing the track on Thursday to hopefully open for the weekend but no guarantees yet as it has to go through a vote.
Te Rino
"Hubs In, Caps Off"

stovanovich
Hard Yaka

Postby stovanovich » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:16 pm

Track closed until 8th January at the earliest. Unfortunately someone has vandalised the barriers DOC put up, see DOC facebook page for details: https://www.facebook.com/TongariroDOC/
When speaking to the ranger, the 5 year plan is to have it completely closed off to 4x4s regardless (he is a wheeler himself so is as gutted as I am)
Te Rino
"Hubs In, Caps Off"

wopass
Hard Yaka

Postby wopass » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:04 am

stovanovich wrote:Track closed until 8th January at the earliest. Unfortunately someone has vandalised the barriers DOC put up

so some peeps who don't care about closures vandalizes the barriers, so they close the track? to everyone who obeys the closure... makes perfect sense... :roll:

twats
If you already know everything, DON'T ask bloody questions!!

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:10 pm

Simple answer to me would be a gate. Access still achievable to quads/bikes but 4x4 folks need to apply for a key via a permit system.

We have a similar set up down here in Wellys with the Akaratarawa Forest.
Bikes etc have full access and approved trip leaders have to apply for a permit.

That way the authorites know which person/club is in there at which time ;-)
80 Series on 35" creepies, manual with twin factory lockers.

*CHILLAX BRO.*

mercutio
Hard Yaka

Postby mercutio » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:33 pm

we need to start thinking about other owners of large blocks of land that our national organisation may be able to talk to about allowing access i have often thought of talking to some iwi groups and seeing if they have land that they would allow approved 4x4 users though maybe even talking to them about setting up 4x4 parks on land that is not getting much use at the moment but i have no idea who to talk to to start this sort of thing
my 4wd is not a truck

old mercedes never die but sometimes they do need some love

older cars are good,mercedes are better,older mercedes are the best

PeterVahry
Hard Yaka

Postby PeterVahry » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:12 pm

I certainly deplore vandalism of the barrier that DoC erected, but there is some responsibility on DoC too in this case, as their website had not been updated and still showed an opening date of 1 December. A bit of frustration can be anticipated if people have traveled some distance after checking a website, only to find barriers still in place.
There is also a problem that many DoC staff are 'working to rule' during a current pay discussion, which means that some tasks are being delayed and 4WD access is among those.

I do agree with the idea of identifying other lands such as those administered by various Iwi. There will be a cost but maybe a greater certainty under a more commercial model.

stovanovich
Hard Yaka

Postby stovanovich » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:50 am

PeterVahry wrote:I certainly deplore vandalism of the barrier that DoC erected, but there is some responsibility on DoC too in this case, as their website had not been updated and still showed an opening date of 1 December. A bit of frustration can be anticipated if people have traveled some distance after checking a website, only to find barriers still in place.
There is also a problem that many DoC staff are 'working to rule' during a current pay discussion, which means that some tasks are being delayed and 4WD access is among those.

I actually disagree with this, would common sense not say "The track was closed, perhaps I should ask around or go on the tongariro facebook page or call Doc to make sure that I'm not wasting my time." It's a government website which means it's likely operated from Wellington whereas the Tongariro facebook page is run by the ranger himself. We rang him last week and were given permission to check out some other spots in the area as a result of the traverse being closed. He's a fellow hunter & 4 wheeler himself and is saddened by the fact that more isn't done by the wider 4x4 community & that no one club has come forward to actually manage the track like the mountain bikers have for their part, My mate whom runs Dirt Lab is actually working with him now as a result to see what can be done by the 4x4 business side of things to help out.
Te Rino
"Hubs In, Caps Off"

spanky
Hard Yaka

Postby spanky » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:16 pm

what a crock of shit,no ranger can give you permission , its not up to them to decide anything, they are just pawns in a govt department, we have tried to do a deal with doc countless number of times over the last twenty years and they are not interested, i used to have a concession to operate quads in there for years so have had lots of contact with all the different bosses, the last time we even had money from the 4x4 ass and my work was donating a digger and truck to transport it to do a clean up all at no cost to doc, veolia water were happy to donate culverts and we had people with all the relavant tickets to work in there but they managed to come up with bullshit excuses for it not to happen,Tongariro conservancy are the worst doc people to deal with if it involves 4x4ing ,mates of mine that work there even say that, if they had there way 4x4s would never be allowed back in there,basically they are waiting for the bridge abutments at the owhango end to be classed as unsafe and boom closed forever in their eyes,didnt work last time because we involved land sar and the police and made it a safety issue to maintain vehicle access into the area. DOC tekuiti are the total oppisite and becacause of their willingness to help our cause and alot of hard work we have ngaroma as a dedicated 4x4 play area for all to use at no direct cost to the user,the best we can hope for is the land claim goes through and it goes back to the bros,because at least then you could pay and have access.

cpt kernow
Driver/Navigator

Postby cpt kernow » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:28 pm

I wish we could all just take responsibility for our own actions.
Shame we don't have the rights of access legislation the old UK has. things like RUPPs (road used as public path) and bridleways are gold.
Basically, once something has been deemed a road, it will always be a legal road. If you chose to drive it and get stuck, it's your bother to recover.
I'm going to check the WAMS site and see what our legal access is.

PeterVahry
Hard Yaka

Postby PeterVahry » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:27 pm

There is good info on legal road use and history at http://www.panz.kiwi.nz
Scroll down the 'news' section to ....Auckland Transport publish 'Management of Unformed Legal Roads'

Probably this needs it's own topic!

Return to “Land Access / DOC legislation / Regulations”