Maratoto (often known as the “Wires Track”)

mudde1taketwo
Driver/Navigator

Maratoto (often known as the “Wires Track”)

Postby mudde1taketwo » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:30 pm

The Whangamata Off road vehicle track at Maratoto (often known as the “Wires Track”) was extensively damaged by heavy traffic over the last summer opening period and has suffered further damage during a very wet winter. This has resulted in a situation where extensive work is required to make the track passable and to ensure that silt runoff is controlled. It is therefore very unlikely that the track will open at Labour Weekend as has happened in the past.
A plan is in place to get the track open as soon as we possibly can but we are largely dependent on weather conditions over the next few weeks and months.
Please do not plan on using the Wires Track until well into the summer.
Tony Burgess
Public Relations Officer
New Zealand Four Wheel Drive Association.

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Re: Maratoto (often known as the “Wires Track”)

Postby DieselBoy » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:52 pm

But the plan is to ACTUALLY do work on the track when the weather improves and the ground drys out???

If that's the case, and work does get done and not just talked about, then that's fantastic and no one will be worried if the tracks closed for a few months longer!!!!!

If there's any working bees planned that you hear about, post it up on the forum, I'm always up for looking after my backyard and I'm sure others forum members will be too :D
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

mudde1taketwo
Driver/Navigator

Postby mudde1taketwo » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:45 pm

DieselBoy wrote:But the plan is to ACTUALLY do work on the track when the weather improves and the ground drys out???

If that's the case, and work does get done and not just talked about, then that's fantastic and no one will be worried if the tracks closed for a few months longer!!!!!

If there's any working bees planned that you hear about, post it up on the forum, I'm always up for looking after my backyard and I'm sure others forum members will be too :D

There is a lot of work being done to obtain the permissions we need to legally be able to undertake the work required but there is no guarantee that it is possible to get that permission. We will do our best. In terms of working bees, we are looking at $10,000 worth of digger time, that’s a hell of a lot of working bees. Last time we arranged a working bee on a track (apart from my own club) 3 people turned up.

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:00 pm

Well, I'm keen to put my money where my mouth is. Especially for that track/area, as it holds some sentimental value due to our family connection to the original farm up there, followed by our involvement (as part of the Manukau Club) in getting access back in there in the 80's. We've still got some of the original brochure/maps produced by Sue Waterhouse/the club from way back then!!

So what I propose, is that when you decide its appropriate for a team effort up there, post it on ORE say a month out, and I'll have a good go a drumming up support on all the Facebook groups etc.

See what happens. Ya never know ya luck :D :D

mudde1taketwo
Driver/Navigator

Postby mudde1taketwo » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:17 pm

DieselBoy wrote:Well, I'm keen to put my money where my mouth is. Especially for that track/area, as it holds some sentimental value due to our family connection to the original farm up there, followed by our involvement (as part of the Manukau Club) in getting access back in there in the 80's. We've still got some of the original brochure/maps produced by Sue Waterhouse/the club from way back then!!

So what I propose, is that when you decide its appropriate for a team effort up there, post it on ORE say a month out, and I'll have a good go a drumming up support on all the Facebook groups etc.

See what happens. Ya never know ya luck :D :D

Thanks for the offer. Will keep you informed.

mudtroll
Hard Yaka

Postby mudtroll » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:56 pm

I'd be keen to help.

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Postby MihiT » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:46 pm

Jeeeeez. Does your digger-guy have any jobs going?? 10k is a solid week on a 13 tonner up here, and I can do a hell of a lot of damage with a 13t!! It would also equal my going rate for 4 weeks on a 2 tonner!

I'm in. I can bring a 2T digger if I have to, but surely there's one more local to be had...
- 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
- 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
1989 LWB 5-Seat parts hack. TD42

mudde1taketwo
Driver/Navigator

Postby mudde1taketwo » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:29 pm

MihiT wrote:Jeeeeez. Does your digger-guy have any jobs going?? 10k is a solid week on a 13 tonner up here, and I can do a hell of a lot of damage with a 13t!! It would also equal my going rate for 4 weeks on a 2 tonner!

I'm in. I can bring a 2T digger if I have to, but surely there's one more local to be had...

It’s mostly, but not all digger time. There are some materials as well. Also there is often a cost in transporting fuel and materials to the machine. We may also have to pay for professional services as well.
Thanks for the offer. It is now on my list and we may come back to you, but we have to use DoC approved contractors. The machine we use is based in the valley so no transport costs and basically we pay for fuel a little wear and tear only.

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Postby MihiT » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:05 am

mudde1taketwo wrote:, but we have to use DoC approved contractors.

I may just be able to get on that list, I have been before but that was through a company and for different work.
- 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
- 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
1989 LWB 5-Seat parts hack. TD42

tommie
Driver/Navigator

Postby tommie » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:26 pm

Any word on opening dates?

mudde1taketwo
Driver/Navigator

Postby mudde1taketwo » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:12 pm

tommie wrote:Any word on opening dates?

I can’t confirm any date yet, but work is happening right now but more needs to be done so opening won’t be too far away. It will be open this summer. The critical thing to remember is that Kauri dieback will be a major issue so for that reason there will be an absolute requirement that only clean vehicles will be permitted on the track. If there is any visible mud on your vehicle, You won’t be allowed in at all.
More details as soon as I can.
Tony Burgess
NZFWDA

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:18 am

I heard this morning that the track has been repaired a bit and the big holes filled and is now open??

Good news, well done to those that have put in the hard yards to make this happen, I know it was a long hard road :)

mudde1taketwo
Driver/Navigator

Postby mudde1taketwo » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:54 pm

Maratoto is now open.

After NZFWDA completed work on the track DOC has agreed that the Whangamata Track (often known as the Wires Track at Maratoto is open as of now under the following conditions.

Clean Vehicles
DOC remains extremely concerned about Kauri Dieback. I need to make it very clear that the track will be closed if there is a problem with Kauri Dieback in the area near the track or there is behaviour that increases the risk of Kauri die back being spread.
All vehicles using the track are to be cleaned of all visible dirt Before they enter the track so they go in clean; and as soon as possible afterwards.

DOC is concerned that vehicles driving into wet areas, including puddles and bog holes, may spread Kauri Dieback. Please do your best to make sure that you do not anything that might result in the spread of this disease to Maratoto or the surrounding areas because if you do the track will be closed.

There is to be no cleaning of vehicles in native bush areas or the ford or river and no cleaning in any other nearby bush.
If vehicles are not clean when they enter the track, then there is a real risk that they will be denied entry and the track will be closed permanently.

Cameras
DOC approved cameras are monitoring usage of the track

Access Fee
NZFWDA The Northern Zone has funded the work for this year (estimated cost about $7000). You should be aware that there is a levy of $10 per vehicle and $5 for motorcycles. This levy is to help fund the track and must be paid by all users and not just those who are members of the NZFWDA. Make sure that you pay it and that anyone else who is using the track pays the levy to ensure that this iconic track remains open to everyone. Every cent of the levy goes towards track maintenance.
We are intending to keep the track open until 1st May but it will be closed if bad weather makes it necessary.

Please Use but do not Abuse
DOC is also concerned to make sure that Maratoto is part of the recreation estate and enjoyed for all so it is shared with walkers, bikers horse riders and hunters. If you see anyone causing problems on the track, please take photographs as evidence. And let us know. You can use your mobile phone cameras.

Use in Years to Come
The purpose of setting out these requirements is so that we and others can address DOC’s concerns and can use the track this year and in years to come. It’s an awesome track and one of the very few through a large expanse of native bush. I hope you will each do what you can so that we can continue to use the track.

Merry Christmas and Happy Four Wheel Driving.
Tony Burgess
NZFWDA

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:16 am

FYI

For those who were wondering ;-) ;-)

http://www.kauridieback.co.nz/kauri-dieback
80 Series on 35" creepies, manual with twin factory lockers.

*CHILLAX BRO.*

PeterVahry
Hard Yaka

Postby PeterVahry » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:18 pm

Due to weather conditions, the gate at Maratoto has been closed.

mudde1taketwo
Driver/Navigator

Postby mudde1taketwo » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:41 pm

It is with much regret that I must advise that all off road tracks in the Maratoto area are now closed to all vehicles. This includes the Whangamata (Wires) Track, Loop Road, Waipaheke and all tracks off these tracks. This closure is by Department of Conservation order and is due to Kauri Die Back. While I don’t have full details, it would appear the this will be a permeant closure. BUGGER.
My favourite recreational area where I have been going for over 40 years and where a significant number of people have put in a lot of hard work to keep it open is now out of bounds. BUGGER. BUGGER. BUGGER. BUGGER. BUGGER. BUGGER. BUGGER. BUGGER. BUGGER. BUGGER.

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:01 pm

OHHH F...........
TIS ALL I CAN SAY :cry: :cry:

basics
Hard Yaka

Postby basics » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:29 pm

Thats sucks. One less spot to explore :cry:
99 pajero exceed 3.2

Return to “Land Access / DOC legislation / Regulations”