Bighorn 15" Wheels

ice4x4
Hard Yaka

Bighorn 15" Wheels

Postby ice4x4 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:19 am

My brother bought a Bighorn a few months back and it came with a set of aftermarket 15" wheels and mud tyres fitted. Has drove around for a few thousand km's with no problems. He changed the brake pads in the back the yesterday and now with the new pads the calipers are binding on the wheels completely locking them.

Anybody got any advice on what his options are? Obviously he doesn't want to have to fork out for a new set of wheels and rubber. Would it be ok to grind the caliper down a bit?
1988 Range Rover Classic
2010 Discovery 4 HSE 5.0 V8

[img]http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg303/eastw77/2_zpse514cc6c.gif[/img]

Ralfie
Hard Yaka

Re: Bighorn 15" Wheels

Postby Ralfie » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:46 am

ice4x4 wrote:My brother bought a Bighorn a few months back and it came with a set of aftermarket 15" wheels and mud tyres fitted. Has drove around for a few thousand km's with no problems. He changed the brake pads in the back the yesterday and now with the new pads the calipers are binding on the wheels completely locking them.

Anybody got any advice on what his options are? Obviously he doesn't want to have to fork out for a new set of wheels and rubber. Would it be ok to grind the caliper down a bit?

I wouldn't have thought that changing brake pads would make any difference to clearance issues around the calipers. If they were OK before they should still be OK for clearance afterwards.

I would be looking at what was done and how it went back together.
Were there spacers on the hubs to give more clearance that weren't fitted again?
Or were the calipers fitted back incorrectly.

ice4x4
Hard Yaka

Postby ice4x4 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:51 am

No the new brake pads are alot thicker than the worn ones which means the sliding part of the caliper sits further out from the fixed part than it did before.

Trust me sat there for ages scratching my head trying to figure out what was going on... :lol: :lol:
1988 Range Rover Classic

ice4x4
Hard Yaka

Postby ice4x4 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:53 am

Ralfie wrote:
ice4x4 wrote:My brother bought a Bighorn a few months back and it came with a set of aftermarket 15" wheels and mud tyres fitted. Has drove around for a few thousand km's with no problems. He changed the brake pads in the back the yesterday and now with the new pads the calipers are binding on the wheels completely locking them.

I wouldn't have thought that changing brake pads would make any difference to clearance issues around the calipers. If they were OK before they should still be OK for clearance afterwards.

I would be looking at what was done and how it went back together.
Were there spacers on the hubs to give more clearance that weren't fitted again?
Or were the calipers fitted back incorrectly.

Not a bad idea with the spacers, would it be ok to fit like a 6mm wheel spacer behind the wheel? I heard that wheel spacers are not allowed in Nz
1988 Range Rover Classic

FORGE1
Hard Yaka

Postby FORGE1 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:11 am

I would skim the pads down if thats a option as pads are quite cheap. Unless they need to be skimmed down so much that they need to be replaced in a few thousand kms then I would look at spacers. Friend of mine has small spacers on their Pajero and they have been on it for years and never had any issues. It still uses the factory studs so they are small spacers but enought to clear the brakes.
Don't Bend the Rules, Rule the Bends!!!

Return to “Isuzu”