1998 Isuzu Wizard cutting out

Di0n
Driver/Navigator

1998 Isuzu Wizard cutting out

Postby Di0n » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:15 pm

I just bought a 1998 Isuzu Wizard 3.0TD 4JX1 and it has a starting/running issue. It is extremely hard to start, and when you finally get it to start it runs great for about 30 secs then cuts out. It had a brand new turbo and injectors in september. Any ideas?

sibainmud
Hard Yaka

Re: 1998 Isuzu Wizard cutting out

Postby sibainmud » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:56 pm

Mate, they are the common rail ones, they give all sorts of issues, form ECU to oil pressure, in fact they had a factory recall to remedy injector O ring issues that let fuel leak into the sump resulting in it "running away" til it goes bang :shock: Sounds like fuel though. Left hand side, half way down the chassis is the first fuel filter with the primer on it. Try pumping it by hand before, after, and during starting and see if that makes a difference.
Keep us posted with any findings. Others may be able to help.
Cheers,
I keep looking for the loose nut behind the wheel, but I can't find it!!

Di0n
Driver/Navigator

Postby Di0n » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:31 pm

Thanks for the info, I had been searching for the fuel primer and filter. Filter looks fairly new and pumping that primer didn't help unfortunately. Think I'll take it to my mechanic tomorrow.

Di0n
Driver/Navigator

Postby Di0n » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:30 am

Just replaced the oil with 5w-40 and it is a bit easier to start (still takes about 5mins) but will not run for more than a minute. Doesn't matter if I rev it or let it idle, when it decided to cut out you can't do anything about it. Ideas?

Di0n
Driver/Navigator

Postby Di0n » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:20 pm

Ok think I have found my problem. The ORPS (oil rail pressure sensor) has leaked oil onto the injector loom and the plug and loom are full of oil. Gave it a quick clean out which got it going but ideally I think I will have to replace the loom, unless someone has an alternative?

sibainmud
Hard Yaka

Postby sibainmud » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:59 pm

Di0n wrote:Ok think I have found my problem. The ORPS (oil rail pressure sensor) has leaked oil onto the injector loom and the plug and loom are full of oil. Gave it a quick clean out which got it going but ideally I think I will have to replace the loom, unless someone has an alternative?

Common fault number 2 :roll:
Replace the loom. They were a little expensive a few years ago, but may be better now. Price one from you local GM agent.
Good result.
Cheers,
I keep looking for the loose nut behind the wheel, but I can't find it!!

Di0n
Driver/Navigator

Postby Di0n » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:26 pm

Ok stripped the loom down and cleaned it. Cleaned all the oily plugs and checked glow plugs. Still nothing. Pushed preheat button and it fired up straight away, strange thing is the preheat button does nothing if the air temp is above 15C which it definitely is today so I'm picking that was a fluke. Also I undid the bleed bolt on top of the priming pump and it had a lot of air in it but once I bled it there was still no change. Can anyone tell me where the diagnostics plug is so I can get the flash codes on the dash?

Return to “Isuzu”