What's a good replacement for 1993 LWB Bighorn?

DesmondD
Driver/Navigator

What's a good replacement for 1993 LWB Bighorn?

Postby DesmondD » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:34 am

I fear I may need to replace my 1993 LWB 3.2L petrol Bighorn (with LSD) sooner rather than later, as repairs are arising more often (starter motor, auto-trans light flashing, wheel bearings getting noisy, etc) and are becoming less cost effective.
I bought it when it was 6 years old (as a used Japanese import) and have owned it for 13.5 years. I have been exceedingly happy with it, including for occasional off-road trips and some of these were much more difficult than I had envisaged, but it came though like a "trooper" every time!
What should I replace it with, Isuzu or non-Isuzu, in terms of a 4-6 years old vehicle, and maybe shorter wheelbase? Many of the newer "shinys" (eg X-Trail, Grand Vitara) just don't have the ground clearance or the approach/departure angles of the stock non-lifted Bighorn. In 1999 I found Pradas were beyond my budget, but Bighorns were not.

jervisad
Hard Yaka

Re: What's a good replacement for 1993 LWB Bighorn?

Postby jervisad » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:33 pm

maybe a surf?

SupraLux
Complete Bastard

Postby SupraLux » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:04 pm

If you want something comfortable and capable offroad, but still nice to drive I can recommend a Landrover Discovery... I have a Series 2 diesel... they're no rocket ship, but they are surprisingly economical and under the 2.8 engine size so cheaper to register.

They also have a solid axle in the front and flex quite well.

Alternatively, if you like the Bighorn go backwards instead of forwards in time, and get an '89-ish Bighorn with the 2.8TD motor... absolutely brilliant trucks.

Steve

DesmondD
Driver/Navigator

Postby DesmondD » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:01 pm

Thanks for these replies. I think instead of going backwards I will go forwards very slowly and look for one of the last (2002 or thereabouts) 3.5L petrol (for highway overtaking) Holden Montereys (ie Australian Isuzu Bighorn). It should be affordable, last me another 10 years, and it is a format of vehicle that I have found suits my various needs. I will also be able to put various things from my '93 Bighorn directly into it (eg home-made platform-shelf at the back, removable tongue tow-bar etc).

I'd be happy to hear from anybody who sees such a Holden Monterey for sale anywhere.

Return to “Isuzu”