2.8 Rodeo - usually gutless?

bang-thud-thump
Hard Yaka

2.8 Rodeo - usually gutless?

Postby bang-thud-thump » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:26 pm

I drove a 2.8 turbo Rodeo (93 model) the other day. Its the first of the type Ive experienced.
I wasnt expecting 3rd gear rolling burnouts but I was expecting a lot more than I got.
It would be marginally more grunyt than out TD27 non turbo Navarra - and that is no race truck!

I could hear some turbo noise so assume it was spinning and the rocker gear was clean suggesting regular servicing so I figured the huffer wasnt rooted.

Any experiences?
Is it the same donk as the Mu?
Cheers.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Re: 2.8 Rodeo - usually gutless?

Postby Crash bandicoot » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:39 pm

bang-thud-thump wrote:I drove a 2.8 turbo Rodeo (93 model) the other day. Its the first of the type Ive experienced.
I wasnt expecting 3rd gear rolling burnouts but I was expecting a lot more than I got.
It would be marginally more grunyt than out TD27 non turbo Navarra - and that is no race truck!

I could hear some turbo noise so assume it was spinning and the rocker gear was clean suggesting regular servicing so I figured the huffer wasnt rooted.

Any experiences?
Is it the same donk as the Mu?
Cheers.

there is some thing wrong.... i could get mine doing burnouts in second with 32 inch RMT's on tarseal. (and that is when i got it at 380 000 km's)

take the intake hose of the turbo and check the shaft for play. may sound ok when free reving but under load (driving) is when the air pressure makes the shaft move.

Most commonly I used to wind back my fuel pump for work so i could go a week of travel on half a tank (80 k round trip a day) and then off road would wind the fuel up.

You should have a little black smoke whilst accelerating and should clear up when the turbo charger goes on boost.

the 4JB1(2.8 ) is a much better engine then its bigger brother.
The only difference between the Rodeo and the MU is if the engine was fitted with EGR for japan or for international market. my rodeo was badged a holden and was NZ new with no EGR system fitted.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

Cameron
Hard Yaka

Postby Cameron » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:24 pm

nz new ones (at least for utes and trucks) are gear driven engines. Jap ones are belt drive.
some are gutless. some go like a shower of shit. definitely check the usuals.
They tend to go better with worn out timing gears too :lol:

nakimud
Hard Yaka

Postby nakimud » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:51 pm

Mate had one for years and it was a real dog, taking off in 1st with anything even close to resembling a gradient meant riding the clutch. We turned the fuel screw(just a bosch VE style pump like terrano's etc) and made the world of difference, honestly! Basically it would keep up with a sheep shagger hilux 4x4 and would toast my later 4jh1 3.0 IC rodeo!

bang-thud-thump
Hard Yaka

Postby bang-thud-thump » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:05 pm

Cheers for the replies. The truck is in a different city and Im home now so cant check it. I wanted to check the intake but no tools and on a time frame. Bad time to car hunt, I know.
Ill steer clear.

Also they are low for a 4WD but have solid front axles so I assume potential.
I dont see much here with a quick check so must be a reason I guess.

I am possibly interested in a Mu so will keep an eye out, shame they are smallish though.

The 3.1 Bighorns were trouble (cooking) way back when I was on the tools so I am keeping clear.
The early 2.8s are ok though??

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:21 pm

bang-thud-thump wrote:Cheers for the replies. The truck is in a different city and Im home now so cant check it. I wanted to check the intake but no tools and on a time frame. Bad time to car hunt, I know.
Ill steer clear.

Also they are low for a 4WD but have solid front axles so I assume potential.
I dont see much here with a quick check so must be a reason I guess.

I am possibly interested in a Mu so will keep an eye out, shame they are smallish though.

The 3.1 Bighorns were trouble (cooking) way back when I was on the tools so I am keeping clear.
The early 2.8s are ok though??

mmmmmm no , they are IFS you wouldn't get a ute that low with a live front axle the very early ones were solid axle but were talking early 80's.

But even if appears gutless they are a good ute, very few rust issues, Don't be put off by the fact they are low, they are good on the hill country. and a good set of wide M/T's makes them more then capable
mine clocked up over 500,000 kms and the only issue i ever had was a leaking power steering unit and a rear main seal leak(which is mandatory on a 4jb1 motor)
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

mud_slinger
Hard Yaka

Postby mud_slinger » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:23 pm

if they anything like a mu, just under the turbo in the exhaust pipe they have a butterfly that is designed to shut on a cold start up to let the engine warm up faster, what happens over time is the butterfly can get jammed up with crap and not fully open properly which can suffocate the engine and put you down on power
needs more curry

bang-thud-thump
Hard Yaka

Postby bang-thud-thump » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:00 am

Interesting. Cheers for the info.

Return to “Isuzu”