well Holden actually, Rodeo

dangerous
Hard Yaka

well Holden actually, Rodeo

Postby dangerous » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:59 pm

hey so I posted up in the Nissin forum to get info on the later D22 Navara's, but now thinking more so the later Rodeo's.
Tell me bout em cos I know SFA???

Marco Polo
Hard Yaka

Re: well Holden actually, Rodeo

Postby Marco Polo » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:53 pm

Presume you are after an RA Rodeo? Up to about 2005 I think they had a 3 litre intercooled 4JH1, which is an old school, not hugely powerful, quite noisy, pushrod motor that has its origins in the old 2.8 Isuzus. Reliable as hell.
2006 Rodeo and first Colorados (same truck, different name) have the common rail Isuzu 4JJ1 which has shit loads more grunt, and does not to my knowledge suffer from too many dramas like the early common rail Hilux. A friend of mine has one of these and it's a nice truck to drive. Plasticy inside (but then so are the Toymotas and Nissans) His has 200k on the clock now and looks and drives like new.
My chippy mate has an older '03 that he uses for work and as the family bus with 250k on it and not a hiccup so far.
How hard can it be?

dangerous
Hard Yaka

Postby dangerous » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:53 pm

ta man, I had herd they were noisy... after the 3L which I asume are NOT common rail, what size did they reduce the cubes to?

Cameron
Hard Yaka

Postby Cameron » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:13 pm

the 4jj1 colorado is still a 3.0. current Isuzu dmax is still the 4jj1 platform.
new generation is back to 2.8 but they're not Isuzu anymore.
first gen colorados are no more plastic than RA rodeos, interior etc is just a facelift. I find the Colorado stuff to be a bit more 'decent feeling' rather than a little cheap/run of the mill inside.
colorados ride nicer for some reason. rear end is definitely softer. they suffer from worn out shocks pretty quickly so recommend upgrading them.
4jj1s poo out the odd injector. heaps run around with a huge knck when cold etc which is caused by a faulty injector but they don't seem to worry them too much. new injectors aren't toooo badly priced. I blame NZ fuel rather than commonrail, though.
Good engines. you can get all sorts of shit for them in Thailand apparently. tuneable computers and shit. there's a guy running a 4jj1 700hp drag dmax over there.

4jh1 rodeos are pretty sweet. no rocket ship but they still go pretty well. Have had both (2wd high riders) an RA and currently hack around in a 4jj1 Colorado, and definitely prefer the Colorado, however my RA was a big of a Friday special. didn't go too good (gutless) however it was reliable as a swiss watch.
the engine noise of the earlier ones you get used to pretty quick.

dangerous
Hard Yaka

Postby dangerous » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:20 pm

Nice info... took a 05ish for a spin, man it was gutless, for a 3L turb hell my old 2.4 smerf woulda kicked its arse, no pick up at all.
Have now brought a D40 navara, so a late model rodeo will have to wait, still be keen for a spin tho as a comparasion.

Return to “Isuzu”