2000 TJ clutch problems..... loosing my mind over this

G34R5
Bush Crasher

2000 TJ clutch problems..... loosing my mind over this

Postby G34R5 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:50 pm

Heya Team,

So recently purchased a 2000 TJ wrangler. The clutch was disengaging at the top of the peddle and release bearing was noising.... normal thing usualy means clutch is fucked.

Thought well great time to upgrade. So i ordered an Exedy Heavy Duty for the TJ (JEK-7039) from supercheap. It arrived and i slapped it in without thinking to check bits against the original, also first time installing a non-oem clutch. After install i couldnt shift gears with engine running. Also had white milky fluid in the master which i diagnosed and dead seals. Extended the pushrod by a about 1" and i could shift gears but had troubles after a bit, was only temp fix while new master and slave system was on its way.

The other day it arrived and i slapped it in, new master, new slave and braided line (all one piece) have put that in and bled it over and over using both the standard bleed screw method and hand pump slave method. Still cant shift gears with engine running. Measured and extended pushrod by about 1.7cm and still couldnt shift, extened push rod to just before slave bottom out and still it didnt seem to have the stroke to change gears.

Im now going insane thinking wtf is wrong, next step is the garage and the hefty bill of a clutch replacement. Anyone have any insight into what could be wrong for me to not be able to shift gears even after new master,slave,line,clutch,pressure plate and release bearing????

Kampfer
Bush Crasher

Re: 2000 TJ clutch problems..... loosing my mind over this

Postby Kampfer » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:53 pm

Had a similar issues with my mates cars. It might sound stupid but is the Clutch Plate in the right way around?
And the other one would be check it compared to the old one. The new clutch plate we installed was 15mm short on the flywheel side I believe which didn't help much.

Unfortunately It means pulling the thing out again to check. Good luck.

G34R5
Bush Crasher

Re: 2000 TJ clutch problems..... loosing my mind over this

Postby G34R5 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:04 pm

Yeah sadly it looks like its gonna come to that, seriously hope it isnt a stupid mistake like that haha but hopefully that will sort it.

Return to “Jeep”