week end 1st and 2nd July

Rotazuk
Hard Yaka

week end 1st and 2nd July

Postby Rotazuk » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:01 pm

Well finally moved Diesel Boys old Rocky off the front lawn and pulled the axles out of it .

Step one : suspend from roof and remove wanted parts . Axles , hand brake and steering box .

Step two : back up trailer .

Step three : chop roof ( to get out of shed ) and park back on front lawn to really tick the neibours off . Still off to the tip next weekend .

Cheers

Chris

wopass
Hard Yaka

;-p

Postby wopass » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:08 pm

:? all i managed to do was go for a ride and clean my bike :roll: ... pretty pathetic really...
If you already know everything, DON'T ask bloody questions!!

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:08 pm

Tidied up the wiring under the bonnet (withSuprasurf's help all the original wiring and fuse boxes have been moved to the passengers side of the engine bay) and finallystarted fitting the Subaru calipers to the rear axle of my wreck. A total novelty that will be, hmmm rear brakes, haven't had any for over 2 years :shock:
Ugly is a state of mind..... and the state of my truck!

mercutio
Hard Yaka

Postby mercutio » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:52 pm

i did nothing 4wd related the only constructive thing of interest i did all weekend was install a new linux operating system on my computer

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:30 pm

took spring hangers off chassis to prepare for spring reversal and accomodate larger bushes...

spent 99% of the weekend in christchurch womans hosp with my new little winch man... born on friday at 10.7 pounds... sweet! he can clamber in and get those damn tools when i drop them during the build... :lol:

:D

WACKO
Pyro

Postby WACKO » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:46 pm

GOOD S#*H niblik!
congrats...

yesterday got up at 5am to get to manfield by 7 to help a mate with a drift day. just a bit of maintenince for my paj today. changed my headlights and sidelights so i can go for a wof at some stage and got rid of the mud cakeed in the radiator. flatmates wernt impressed at the bath after tho.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

lilpigzuk
Tiger Balm

Postby lilpigzuk » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:24 am

Congrats Niblik!! :wink: Thats a big boy too :shock:

Spent a couple of hours yesterday with a Zuk chassis next to a Disco chassis to see what would be involved in moving all the susp mounts from Disco to Zuk chassis. Zuk chassis is a conitual widening ladder chassis all the way to the back, while the disco has parallel ladder chassis front to back. After lots of tape measuring and scratching of heads, We have decided :? to chop 12 inches out of disco chassis and swap body and engine from the zuk to the disco. Will be a bit more weight than intended but it is low weight and the whole idea for this was stability on side slops, so may have to give the motor a wee extra bit of air to help things along 8)

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:21 am

niblik wrote:took spring hangers off chassis to prepare for spring reversal and accomodate larger bushes...

spent 99% of the weekend in christchurch womans hosp with my new little winch man... born on friday at 10.7 pounds... sweet! he can clamber in and get those damn tools when i drop them during the build... :lol:

Congrats :) I worked most of Saturday and spent Sunday with the Mrs and boy on the beach and in Northlands....
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

Steve_t647
Hard Yaka

Postby Steve_t647 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:35 am

spent 99% of the weekend in christchurch womans hosp with my new little winch man...

Congrats, but I think she would have done most of the work tho :lol:

I only managed to get some more rubbish out of the garden and plant a tree. :shock:

SupraLux
Complete Bastard

Postby SupraLux » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:03 am

Congratulations Niblik... great stuff :)

I'm writing this from a camp ground pc in Nelson... my weekend is still going... and going... and $$$$$going$$$$$...

I spend most of friday afternoon trying to get my truck back together to nip up to nelson overnight for a quick parts dropoff/pickup... a small job that required fitting the new rear axles and new brakes - somethingthat due to misfitting brake adaptor plates and me forgetting to buy diff oil took until around 2.30am... including having to put a metalset patch on the tank where its been leaking for a we while now.

The tank patch stuff came with a picture of it holding up an elephant, kind of like superglue... well that should have been a warning... I cured it with a 100W light bulb for afew hours and it was rock hard and lookedpretty good when I was done... so dumped 20l of diesel in and it was all good... no leaks... whew! Off to the servo and fill the tank ready to go first thing.

Home and into bed at around 3am... up at 9ish, outside when Rik arrived to find a steady stream of diesel pissing all over the lawn :evil: threw a bucket under that for the time being...

After everything going wrong the day before I burst into tears and threw a big tantrum... well, thats what I wanted to do anyway... sat down and had another coffee then went out and measured up the tank in the bighorn... mounts looked the same, but of course all my tools were at the shed, 1/2 an hour away.

Managed to borrow some tools and used the basic ones I had in the truck to get the tank out of the bighorn, then drained the petrol and put that in the wifes car (must remember to invoice her for the top-up :P)

Then my uncle arrived with some 20l drums and I drained most of the near-80l of diesel (or what was left) out of the MU, and dropped that tank.

From there I was hoping the hose lines would beon a removable plate... no such luck. The V6 tank was, which meant I could take the plate out to find a submersed pump, which I dismantled and replaced witha length of fuel hose so it would pick up from the bottom of the tank, and then re-fitted it. The fuel level senders were both the same, in the same place and removable so I swapped them.

With the exception of a slightly different shape and the filler being slightly further forward it looked like it would fit... so I test fitted it and it all looked good. I did up a few bolts and put some diesel in, pumped the pump a few times, turned it over and it ran on for 5 minutes... fully filled the tank and finally ready to go... 7pm! Whata day, I was shattered. I had a shower, loaded the daughter into the carseat and off we went.

Stayed the night with Tony near Blenheim (Pajfan on here - your friendly local Repco store manager) - about midnight I think we pulled in there - then up in the morning and on to Nelson. Dropped off the parts I had bought up, picked up the parts I came to get and then back on the road into nelson for diesel before heading home...

As I pulled into the servo, noticed the temp gauge in the red... hmmm... checked the rad cap, seemed cold - odd..., so unlatched it 1/2 a turn to the locked but open position and whooosh! hoooot water everywhere... flooding out for around 2 or 3 minutes... also oil very low... wierder... topped the oil, started the engine and slowly filled the rad (engine running stops the massive thermal shock of dumping several litres of cold water into the system from cracking the head). seemed ok, so put the cap on and put it down to low water - ignored the obvious for the time being because it was convenient for my brain to just believe the unlikely instead :P

Off into town to get some dinner before leaving and noticed the temp fully hot again within 5 minutes of the station... oh shit.

Cob and co for a nice dinner... give it time to cool down. Out and check, water gone in rad... top up and drive back to servo... water gone again... temp fully hot. Top up again, drive to camp ground, get a room :(

So, here I am in Nelson... with my daughter and a truck full of bits I needed for a job I'm doing today at the shed... not!... Pretty sure I have a blown head gasket as water is errupting in sporadic bursts from the radiator...

So this weekends achievements?

fixing the truck: 2 days, much swearing
driving to nelson: $60 diesel
buying parts: $500
getting to the other end of the country and blowing up your motor?: Priceless!

BrentC
Hard Yaka

Postby BrentC » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:39 am

After 3 weeks of comedy of errors - I finally got my Cruiser back - new CV and axle etc - even though the one Bus and Truck had specially made in Auss was too long and had no circlip groove - then Toyota sent the wrong clip 3 times etc etc :cry: :lol:

I thought lets test this thing - as we have a wet patch at the top of our slopping paddock - I thought why don't I just drive up and down and create a drain - good idea until I hit the really damp patch - sunk to the axles and had to winch out - much to the amusement of the millions that drive the Clevedon Kawakawa Road on a Saturday :lol:

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:42 pm

Congratulations Niblik, sounds like all is good.

Now then Steven, I seem to recall a comment you made not too long ago along the lines of "my truck is absolutly perfect the way it is", :? . I'm guessing right about now you would like to change that statement eh?. :)
Sounds like you had shitty run over the weekend, :oops:
Have you tried Chemiweld in the donk (just might get you home). Mind you I don't think it fixes gaping cahsms in head gaskets, could be worth a crack though.
If you listen real carefull like, you can hear the spark plug gods saying "Repower Steve, Repower it with a filthy big, totally in efficient, fossil fuel loving petroleum engine" Then you will be really able to make the old girl MUUUve :lol:

PS Good luck getting home!

wopass
Hard Yaka

Postby wopass » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:03 pm

niblik wrote:took spring hangers off chassis to prepare for spring reversal and accomodate larger bushes...

thats FANTASTIC BRO ! grats to you and your missus
If you already know everything, DON'T ask bloody questions!!

hosehustler
Hard Yaka

Postby hosehustler » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:06 pm

Congratulations Niblik,
I spent part of the weekend at Supra surfs' place working on my surf, was all going to plan till I started trying to drill the 8mm holes in the falcon leaf springs, 1 hole drilled took 2hours :evil: still 3 more to drill :( think i'll drop them at Belamy and East, unless someone here has any bright idea's :?
I hate signatures

1lurch
Bush Crasher

spring steel

Postby 1lurch » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:09 pm

beleive it or not , try one of mikes masonary bits (tungsten carbide tipped) as a last resource that will work but it will take time too . dont let it get too hot though , your spring steel will turn into .... steel

SupraLux
Complete Bastard

Postby SupraLux » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:25 pm

hosehustler wrote:1 hole drilled took 2hours :evil: still 3 more to drill :( think i'll drop them at Belamy and East, unless someone here has any bright idea's :?

Take 'em to Bellamy and east - I never bother drilling spring steel any more... the steel is about as hard as the drill bit, so you kill the bit real quick.

Also, sorry Tim, in the problems I had before leaving I totally forgot about your calipers. They are at home still... I'll drop em to you when I get back.

UPDATE ON MOTOR:
Dropped in to a recommended engine reconditioner here in Nelson (Yes, still here... sigh...) and got given a great piece of news... its not the head gasket... yay... nope, not the gasket, its the head! :roll: :evil:

$2000... new head, fitted.

[rock] [me] [hard place]

On the bright side, they started on it for me at lunchtime and it will be done by late afternoon tomorrow...

Oh, and Grant: No repower at the mo... need the motor going and don't have time/money to splash about on the 350 chev I would love to have in there... The 3.1 is a great motor when its going, so hopefully this is going to be it for cash spent on it for a while...

hiriklux
Hard Yaka

Postby hiriklux » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:55 pm

stripped all stuff outs engine bay thats gonna be in way of new engine in anticipation :D :D :D :D

IcedJohnno
Trailer Trash

Postby IcedJohnno » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:52 pm

think i'll drop them at Belamy and East, unless someone here has any bright idea's

Hey Tim
If youve got access to one, use a drill press, run the drill really slow and keep sharpening it. Use cutting oil, it keeps the heat getting transferred out. Use heaps of down pressure on the drill press. Dont let the blunt drill work harden the high-carbon spring steel. This will be what happened the first time.

If no drill press then run the drill real slow with a block of wood pressing down on the top of the drill and a guy pushing down on either end of the wood. Monitor the drill for over heating!

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:06 pm

SupraLux wrote:$2000... new head, fitted.

[rock] [me] [hard place]

OUCH :( :(

callum007
Hard Yaka

Postby callum007 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:10 pm

i played with my airbags.. they still work. i just short of some hose to finish the valve plumbing. cut some firewood for a mate. took him for drive round farm. got stuck!! very embarrassing.... let the air right out of tires.. 2 psi. drove out full noise.. all good.
got food poisoning... no truck work.

goot shit on the little one niblik..

kinda sux bout your engine supralux.. i can hear the old words... should have bought a yota..
Dont follow me. i'll get stuck and need a tow..

hosehustler
Hard Yaka

Postby hosehustler » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:14 am

IcedJohnno wrote:Hey Tim
If youve got access to one, use a drill press, run the drill really slow and keep sharpening it. Use cutting oil, it keeps the heat getting transferred out. Use heaps of down pressure on the drill press.

Thats what we did :lol: two hours later 1 hole :?
I hate signatures

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:44 pm

Bad luck Steve, that 2k would have got you a nice Lexus motor and a bellhousing and flywheel.

Managed to put together a bit of the interior in my pig and started changing locks so I will eventually have one key for doors, ignition and tail gate!

Matt.

Return to “This weekends achievements”