august 20 -21

coxsy
Hard Yaka

august 20 -21

Postby coxsy » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:10 pm

did bits on the safari , james some small things on the 40, visted the new F C O store camping gear, tents, fishing gear. boat stuff, clothes, footware, 4wd recovery stuff,
one in Henderson too it seems, worth a look
james new bush tool $68
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

Filthy4x4
Hard Yaka

Re: august 20 -21

Postby Filthy4x4 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:15 pm

Pretty quiet at my end. FINALLY cleaned out my garage :lol: :lol: only half a hiab truck worth of stuff :roll: now there is space to breathe too bad my garage has been reassigned to the flatmates subi :roll: :roll:

Now time to fire up the barbi, crack open a box and enjoy this awesome weather while it lasts.
027 MUD GEAR - (027 683 4327)

Check our facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/Filthy4x4

http://www.facebook.com/Filthymotorsportnz

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:53 pm

Washed it after last weekend's efforts :roll:

sig
Jeep Jeep

Postby sig » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:03 pm

weekend for me started yesterday .Got a call from from some riggers who i do work for.On monday they were up Mt Climie ( upper hutt) trying to work on the transmission towers when the snow started falling .Consequently there patrol became stuck in the snow and they had to walk down.They borrowed my quad to try and get up there on wednesday and thursday but both times the snow was still to thick.Decided it was time to give the 40 another run .Loaded the 40 with all my recovery gear plus chainsaw,slashers ,axe and extra shovel then met them up there friday morning .Started off a breeze but snow got thicker and thicker the higher we got .Had to cut our way through a few good size trees as well as winch a few bigger bits out the way.towards the top the snow was pretty thick ,had the 40 roaring 3rd gear ,locker in foot hard up it ( have a healthy respect for snow now).was like driving through really soft loose sand.finally got to there patrol and it was burried up to the windows.Dug it out heaps so we could get the door open ,then the back to try and get it off the log it was stuck on .Had to winch the log out then pull the patrol sideways to get it off the bank.Managed to get it out and proceeded down the hill with them behind following my wheel ruts.Had to recover it a couple more times on the way down due to sliding sideways into drains etc .They were mighty happy to get it down and were both fizzing( and freezing) after a blast in the 40.killed most of the day doing it but was well worth it .Had to go to work today to make up for it which sucked but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.will trty and post a couple of pics ImageImage
Last edited by sig on Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
FJ40,INJECTED SB 406 CHEV, LOCKER,35 SIMEXS,warn winch , 80seies vx 4.2 24v turbo diesel ,fr and rear lockers 3" exh top mount intercooler, 021 724482

Jerry
Yes Dear

Postby Jerry » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:08 pm

70 series prado (KZJ78) and 90 Series Prado (KZJ95)

hitbiga
Hard Yaka

Postby hitbiga » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:10 pm

finally finished a tyre after hours of grooving.. :D
Attachments
Photo004522.jpg

sig
Jeep Jeep

Postby sig » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:13 pm

thanks jerry .have lost the knack of doing it .
FJ40,INJECTED SB 406 CHEV, LOCKER,35 SIMEXS,warn winch , 80seies vx 4.2 24v turbo diesel ,fr and rear lockers 3" exh top mount intercooler, 021 724482

Jerry
Yes Dear

Postby Jerry » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:15 pm

you had 2 sets of [img] codes on each pic
70 series prado (KZJ78) and 90 Series Prado (KZJ95)

suzookyman
Hard Yaka

Postby suzookyman » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:26 pm

hitbiga wrote:finally finished a tyre after hours of grooving.. :D

What did you use to cut the tyre?
Al
"It's a Suzuki thing - you wouldn't understand !"

cbfb
Hard Yaka

Postby cbfb » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:23 pm

Picked up my new truck today :D :D :D :D

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:31 pm

coxsy wrote:did bits on the safari , james some small things on the 40, visted the new F C O store camping gear, tents, fishing gear. boat stuff, clothes, footware, 4wd recovery stuff,
james new bush tool $68

now that looks like a might fine looking tool there did it come with a sheath?

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:35 pm

ha ha i did the same thing to my simmys

but, took me about 45mins per tyre

man completely changed the tyre

i got my set off DB and they were half shot

by cutting them like that they are going mean as now its always hard cutting a tyre but i dont think you will regret the move just be a bit more kinder now on the cvs as they will get a beating even more then before

yorick
Hard Yaka

Postby yorick » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:58 pm

Got the final bits finished on the Paj, just locker compressor to be wired up.

Time for a paint job methinks. Just have to make a decision on colour... Leaning towards road marking yellow at the mo...

mercutio
Hard Yaka

Postby mercutio » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:07 pm

yorick wrote:Got the final bits finished on the Paj, just locker compressor to be wired up.

Time for a paint job methinks. Just have to make a decision on colour... Leaning towards road marking yellow at the mo...

have you got some of that stuff floating around still
have you got a rear door on as well
my 4wd is not a truck

old mercedes never die but sometimes they do need some love

older cars are good,mercedes are better,older mercedes are the best

mudslut
Hard Yaka

Postby mudslut » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:08 pm

Spent the day at the Taupo 1000,what a great event so wished i could of done it .Will be workin on my truck tomorrow after todays motivation :D :D

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:08 am

mudlva wrote:
coxsy wrote:did bits on the safari , james some small things on the 40, visted the new F C O store camping gear, tents, fishing gear. boat stuff, clothes, footware, 4wd recovery stuff,
james new bush tool $68

now that looks like a might fine looking tool there did it come with a sheath?

yes with belt loop too, nice bit of kit have a few other models too
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

meece4x4
Hard Yaka

Postby meece4x4 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:14 am

Was off to my bunnie hunting spot when I came around the corner to spy a 8 ton Hirequip truck slowly sliding down a steep hill backwards with a full load of dirt on the back , they had been cleaning up the slips in the area and the driver had revered off the road to dump the dirt down the bank but had misjudged the edge of the bank and dropped the rear wheels off the bank and the truck was ever so slowly sliding backwards towards an even steeper dropoff, when I got there they where trying to pull the truck back up with a Mazda BT50 and a loadlok!! yeah naw :roll: took one look at the situation and thought if we dont do something the truck would slowly side back a few more meters then down a steep 10 meter bank and prob end up on it's side.

We threw a couple of large rocks under the rear wheels and stopped it slowly sliding backwards. ran out the Winch on the Saf blocked the front wheels behind the largest boulders we could roll under there and tied the BT 50 to the back of the Saf for more weight, didn't have a pulley block on me so had to do a single line pull, on prob 10 tons of weight, stalled the Pto on the first go! but the driver had enough sense to judge things and on the second and with carefully throttle control (he red lined the truck :mrgreen: it slowly crept up the hill and back onto the flat.

To say im impressed with PTO's would be an understatement, must have been right on the limit of the shear pin.

boys where really happy that they didn't need to explain to Hirequip why one of their trucks was upside down a bank and promised to drop off a case of beer on Monday
llıɥ ʇsɐl ʇɐɥʇ ǝʞɐɯ ʇupıp ı sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

RJT
Hard Yaka

Postby RJT » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:10 pm

Went for a nice drive up lake Coleridge and associated lakes today. Absolutely beautiful up there! Snow all over and the lakes were like glass! Then tried to negotiate the fair weather road to lake Lyndon. VERY deep snow up there. Ended up turning around and heading back the way we came as it was pretty gnarly and had no chains. Pics to come.
Attachments
Scenery.JPG
Truck2.JPG
Truck.JPG
DSC_0127.JPG
Last edited by RJT on Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CHANGED TEAMS: 92 Nissan Terrano for fishing and touring, stock for now... slight tweaking (31" mt, snorkel, hooks) to come.

Coming soon... Vitara on silverstones

hitbiga
Hard Yaka

Postby hitbiga » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:16 pm

suzookyman wrote:

What did you use to cut the tyre?
Al

Tyre groover and a knobby knife.

yorick
Hard Yaka

Postby yorick » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:22 pm

mercutio wrote:
yorick wrote:Got the final bits finished on the Paj, just locker compressor to be wired up.

have you got some of that stuff floating around still

Na but I kind of like it
have you got a rear door on as well

Yep and speedo fixed, new crank pulley and rockers, newish camshaft , rebuilt turbo etc etc. It's never run so well, including no clouds of black smoke! :) All ready for reregistering

Bolo
2XL

Postby Bolo » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:31 pm

Brought a chain saw :mrgreen: , cleaned under neith the truck ( havent done it in a while ) , and cant figure out why my hazzard lights arent going :evil:
Your name is Bolo and it will stay that way until you have earnt the right to be called your real name........................ Bolo

sibainmud
Hard Yaka

Postby sibainmud » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:28 pm

Made a huge farkin mess today :D
Terrano 1 nearly stripped out, but all the bits only made it feet away from point of origin :roll:

For more; http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=26455&start=105

Cheers,
I keep looking for the loose nut behind the wheel, but I can't find it!!

Sketchy_Racer
Hard Yaka

Postby Sketchy_Racer » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:33 pm

Had a busy weekend working on the Terrano,

Got custom front bull bar fabbed up (the one I got from Del Fuego) winch mounted and wired, second battery installed still need to wire in the VSR and manual over ride switch so I can link them when winching. Then mounted up Temp, EGT and boost gauge.

First I would place EGT probe post turbo (in the dump pipe) and got a max of 450c but temp reading was very slow to react to my right foot and would also continue to climb even after I had buttoned off. Average temp when driving at 100kph was around 250.

Then I mounted in the header about an inch away from the exit of No 2 and 3 cylinders. Got a max temp of 650c and average temp of around 300 when diving at 100kph.

Have now wound boost up to 17psi and upped the fueling and am able to reach a max of 800c if I keep my foot down. Goes real good but smokes off boost so will need to sort that out, will probably just put a flow restricter in the line to the boost aneroid so it will make more boost before letting the pump drop to much fuel in.

Next up is a custom exhaust manifold (as the stocker is the biggest piece of scrap iron I have ever seen!) and 2.5" exhaust. I recon with a bit of time and tuning I will able to almost double the HP of the TD27

sibainmud
Hard Yaka

Postby sibainmud » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:56 pm

Sketchy_Racer wrote:Had a busy weekend working on the Terrano,

I recon with a bit of time and tuning I will able to almost double the HP of the TD27

Now you're talking my language :lol:
People skoffed at me when I would say that :lol: :lol:
2.5 dump will lower the EGT's about 150-200 deg or so and get it to spool up faster :twisted:
Cheers,
I keep looking for the loose nut behind the wheel, but I can't find it!!

playingInTheDitch
Bush Crasher

Postby playingInTheDitch » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:35 am

started planning my snorkel and new bull bars.
will chuck up some pics tonight hopefully of the planned snorkel

EDIT: started a mod thread http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/Forums/ ... 18&t=27088
Last edited by playingInTheDitch on Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mike77
Hard Yaka

Postby mike77 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:42 am

Nothing exciting like the others on here - scored a towbar/wiring off TM for $60!

But what a difference a week makes,

Last weekend, up the mountain, skiing, driving thorugh snow,
This weekend, swimming at Miranda hot pools, and sun baking cause the water was too warm!

It's a great place we live in.

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:45 pm

RJT wrote:Went for a nice drive up lake Coleridge and associated lakes today. Absolutely beautiful up there! Snow all over and the lakes were like glass! Then tried to negotiate the fair weather road to lake Lyndon. VERY deep snow up there. Ended up turning around and heading back the way we came as it was pretty gnarly and had no chains. Pics to come.

Wonder if Lake Lyndon has good snow, might head up there next weekend
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

phraza
Hard Yaka

Postby phraza » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:16 pm

Well today was still the weekend for me...

Sold the Safari so lining up the next car as we speak!
2WD 06 Hilux... for now

RJT
Hard Yaka

Postby RJT » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:31 pm

wjw wrote:
RJT wrote:Went for a nice drive up lake Coleridge and associated lakes today. Absolutely beautiful up there! Snow all over and the lakes were like glass! Then tried to negotiate the fair weather road to lake Lyndon. VERY deep snow up there. Ended up turning around and heading back the way we came as it was pretty gnarly and had no chains. Pics to come.

Wonder if Lake Lyndon has good snow, might head up there next weekend

I'd say with the amount of snow around all the other lakes (Georgina, Selfe and especially Evelyn!!!) and the condition of the lyndon road that there would be plenty!

This is what the Lyndon road looked like at about 2pm sunday... It looked like it only got worse from there.
Attachments
Lyndon road.JPG
CHANGED TEAMS: 92 Nissan Terrano for fishing and touring, stock for now... slight tweaking (31" mt, snorkel, hooks) to come.

Coming soon... Vitara on silverstones

meatc
Hard Yaka

Postby meatc » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:00 pm

mudslut wrote:Spent the day at the Taupo 1000,what a great event so wished i could of done it .Will be workin on my truck tomorrow after todays motivation :D :D

Me too, except I spent while weekend there. Bloody cold the last couple of mornings, but well worth it. Had a blast doing a couple laps a day in Shermin to give Tony a break. There is something so right about 170+ ks up a narrow dirt track ina glade of trees :D :D :D .

To say I am converted is an understatement, may just have to sell the zuk and build a new truck :roll: :roll:
Toy - Zuk chassis tub, hilux 4.88 axles and transfer, Nissan CA18DE motor and auto trans, sc12 supercharger, 32 10'5 simex, twin motor 8274 custom freespool. Well the parts are all there in various corners of the shed

Return to “This weekends achievements”