Mahindra?

Jerry
Yes Dear

Mahindra?

Postby Jerry » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:21 pm

http://www.mahindraauto.co.nz

have just seen tv ads for these, low range, eaton mechanical lockers, not much of a looker
70 series prado (KZJ78) and 90 Series Prado (KZJ95)

Colinl
Hard Yaka

Re: Mahindra?

Postby Colinl » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:17 am

kinda like a great wall?

Certainly got all of the gizmos. only problem is that it will put you in the 3T RUC catergory?
(Just read NZTA webiste. 3.5t is the limit before you pay any more)

Sheepy
Hard Yaka

Postby Sheepy » Wed May 07, 2014 7:10 pm

Saw one broken down on the side of the road on my way home recently. Had a wee chuckle. Probably decent going by the review in the 4wd mag.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Wed May 07, 2014 8:11 pm

From their website:

"The Mahindra Pik-Up was designed to tackle some of the toughest environments in the world."

Some funny comments about them from an Aus website:

"It looks like the little brother of a Defender!"

"It eventually caught fire due to a turbo problem"

"we have had new genuine parts turn up that look like you've let a 4 year old go nuts with a arc welder and a drill,I guess you get what you pay for."

"I'll be rudely honest, We have them as work ute and i think there rubbish"

" their centre bearings do fail a lot, we seen gearbox failures there is actually 5 ute's in the last 2 months we gearbox rebuilds 2 where not mine vehicles, another problem starting to raise concern is the auto locking hubs smashing the locking nut inside the hub cause unbalance and damaging wheel bearings, the 4x4 shift motor sensor has been replaced a lot, vehicles being stuck in low range or 2wd only, the parts are a nightmare"

" Poor turning circle.... the alarm goes off for no reason...rubbers on door trim keep peeling.... sometimes takes a while to disengage 4wd.."

"I think the worst feature about the ute is the turning circle. It is horrid. You need an eight lane highway to turn around. "

"I have a singlecab, 4WD, Tabletop. So far warranty work includes:
EMD Module replaced
EGR Valve replaced
EGR Valve Sensor replaced
Drivers Seat Replaced (piece of metal was sticking out the back of the seat) this was done today and the replacement is horrible can feel a metal bar across the seat just below my shoulder blades.
New Radio (old one started getting interference all the time)
Passenger Door Seal replaced twice as it got a tear in the same spot
Seal around black vent tended to as water was getting inside the panel when it rained
2 Shock Absorbers replaced (cant recall which ones)
Rear shackles welded back to chassis as one broke! the welds on these always looked daggy and not up to scratch.
1 Tyre replaced as the plys were separating
Some wiring connections also needed to be cleaned as speedo wasn't working.
Fuel Gauge Sender replaced twice (fuel gauge is still basically useless)
There has been a whistling noise for the last few thousand kms and when in for the service today i was told it needs a new turbo!
This stuff is just off the top of my head, all in 40000kms i just had the 40000 km service and it set me back $800. "

smurf182
Hard Yaka

Postby smurf182 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:21 pm

A saying comes to mind..

She's so ugly even the tide wouldn't take her out

on2it
Hard Yaka

Postby on2it » Thu May 08, 2014 6:54 am

Lol xu-500 marketing: "The design is unmistakable. With bold, glorious lines that trace the world's most agile animal in action. Take the wheel. And find around you all you need for that incomparable feeling."

Wtf?
FJ62

CLUMZ1
Hard Yaka

Postby CLUMZ1 » Thu May 08, 2014 9:34 am

lax2wlg wrote:EMD Module replaced
EGR Valve replaced
EGR Valve Sensor replaced
Drivers Seat Replaced (piece of metal was sticking out the back of the seat) this was done today and the replacement is horrible can feel a metal bar across the seat just below my shoulder blades.
New Radio (old one started getting interference all the time)
Passenger Door Seal replaced twice as it got a tear in the same spot
Seal around black vent tended to as water was getting inside the panel when it rained
2 Shock Absorbers replaced (cant recall which ones)
Rear shackles welded back to chassis as one broke! the welds on these always looked daggy and not up to scratch.
1 Tyre replaced as the plys were separating
Some wiring connections also needed to be cleaned as speedo wasn't working.
Fuel Gauge Sender replaced twice (fuel gauge is still basically useless)
There has been a whistling noise for the last few thousand kms and when in for the service today i was told it needs a new turbo!
This stuff is just off the top of my head, all in 40000kms i just had the 40000 km service and it set me back $800. "

...and yet its hard to cert your average terrano/safari/any 4wd for some bigger tyres and new seats....
....and these things are allowed on the roads.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Thu May 08, 2014 6:19 pm

Yeah I quite like the idea of a shackle letting go at highway speed and dislocating the entire rear end.

My favourite is definately this one:

"we have had new genuine parts turn up that look like you've let a 4 year old go nuts with a arc welder and a drill,I guess you get what you pay for."

ChurchurDan
Hard Yaka

Postby ChurchurDan » Tue May 20, 2014 9:29 pm

We do work for the local Cochranes Tractor Dealership, they sell mahindra tractors that are proving to be good value and reasonably reliable.
They are making noises about getting the utes as service vehicles. That would be an awesome test for them, half a ton of tools and oil on the back getting thrashed down a farm track .

Personally I would wait till a few more people have tried and tested them.

Return to “Product Reviews / 4wd Service”