Best 4wds

gkmaia

Best 4wds

Postby gkmaia » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:29 pm

Hi,

I have a Terrano and looking forward to get another 4wd. I was very interested in getting a Pajero from around 2002 with around 150.000km, which is the best the money I have can buy. Then I went for a chat with a mechanic and he made a few statements:

- Most of the 4wd japanese engines are not made last longer than 200.000km. Specially the Pajero. From all, Isuzu may have the strongest engine.
- Also said something from 2000 even if well maintained will be a hassle with lots of stuff to fix every WOF.
- Japanese imports are not good as they do not service the cars properly there. They just use them as disposable vehicles for an average of 5 years then either trash them or send to NZ.

The experience I had with my Terrano (which is from 91 and has 190.000km) is at least 400$ every time it goes for a WOF. Most of the time it is something related to rust or suspension. Never had an engine or electrical issue with it.

Based in all of that what would you guys advise?
Things to look for and the most reliable brand/model from the ones you can buy here in NZ?

churchill
Hard Yaka

Re: Best 4wds

Postby churchill » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:51 pm

Probably a bit too general, I've seen many late model Japanese engines over 200k km. Just look at utes on trademe. I've owned Jap imports and NZ new and to be honest the worst for me have been the NZ owned ones due to a lack of proper maintenance and poor workmanship by mechanics here.
The biggest issue I have with imports is wound back speedos, I have more trust in NZ new speedos.
You really need to take each vehicle on a case by case basis and find out the weak points of that vehicle so you know what is coming up in the future and when it needs to be addressed. I've found the dog and lemon guide accurate, one vehicle I bought was supposed to be a lemon, I still bought it and it was a lemon...

fh2014
Hard Yaka

Postby fh2014 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:10 pm

Seems they definitely don't build build the donks like they used to, now all anyone cares about is getting it past the warranty period.
Full alloy engines from this decade are cheaper to build, and definitely don't do the mileage the old iron blocks/heads did.
Just my two cents

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:54 pm

pretty generic comments the mechanic made.
Don't let them put you off.
What type of driving do you do mainly? How many km will it do per annum?
a good pre purchase inspection is important in your situation.
If you don't want to spend $ on suspension each warrant, make sure you buy a truck that has had a history of road/city use. It will (generally) delay the point of worn suspension issues.
What area are you in?
For your budget, you can get pretty reliable trucks, but will likely need to go older than 2002. Toyota threw their good rep out the window around 2006 with poor quality fuel system components. Many common rail motors have expensive bits that fail. So do your research. But you want info on specific models, not sweeping generalisations.

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:25 pm

I'd be getting a new mechanic for those generalisations! I have friends with prados with well over 300k, closer to 400, very common for Utes to have a heap of km on them. It sounds like the mechanic doesn't like Pajeros as the 3.2 is about as bomb proof as they come but have a fuel pump issue at usually 250-300k which are expensive to fix. Have a look on trade me at how many have high km. They are not as refined as a modern engine but I guess that's a price you pay for an older design.
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:31 pm

The only reason I would be selling a 1990's Terrano would be to buy a 1990's 4wd with a solid front axle.

Terrano has the best of the Jap brands in IFS trucks for engine/running gear longevity and strength (it's a TD42 truck engine minus 2cyl), suspension performance, vehicle dimensions (wheelbase etc) and interior usability/space.

Better motor than anything Toyota put in their Surfs and the Mitsi and Isuzu diesels. There's heaps of stuff I could rattle off as to why I think Terrano's are a good and very cost effective daily driver/weekend warrior.

As your mechanic was probably eluding to, modern diesels are full of electrickery, emissions equipment and high tolerances. This makes them more prone to premature failures than the older less sophisticated engines.

Same goes for the running gear, poke your head underneath some off these 2000+ vehicles and its spaghetti junction under there. Between the ABS wiring, all the electronic actuators on the diffs, transfercase and gearbox it's a wonder they survive splashing through puddles on the motorway!!!

If you want upgrade, go buy some tools and learn how to fix suspension and driveline WOF issues yourself so your not paying $400 each time.

Then go and look for a nice simple vehicle like a solid axle Prado, Land
Cruiser, Discovery or Safari.

Your still going to have rust and mechanical wear and tear no matter what you own, but at least a nice simple strong vehicle that you can work on with basic tools is better than one full of complicated suspension components and electrical disasters.

My opinion :D
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

Gyxx
Hard Yaka

Postby Gyxx » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:23 am

Yeah they're pretty general comments that could be applied to any modern engines... Some people think Nissans are the best, some people think Toyotas are the best, other people have their own ideas... Truth is every model (even from the same factory), every variant and every engine is different and has different pros and cons... Once you got an idea what models you like it's pretty easy to find out if they have any common failings using Google and forums like this... As the chap said above the dog and lemon guide's really good for finding out about specific models but take it with a dose of salt or it'll put you off 4WDs completely and you'll end up getting a Corolla...

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Postby MihiT » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:12 am

I would be willing to bet money that spending the coin on your current truck would get you hella more of a beast than buying a new one, and very well suited to you.

Better the devil you know!
- 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
- 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
1989 LWB 5-Seat parts hack. TD42

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:25 pm

or if the rust issues are ongoing, sell his current one, buy another mint terrano.

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Postby MihiT » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:24 pm

BlakeNZ wrote:mint terrano.

Aha! The lesser-spotted terranos mintus!
- 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
- 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
1989 LWB 5-Seat parts hack. TD42

spanky
Hard Yaka

Postby spanky » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:33 pm

your "mechanic " is full of shit.any motor that is maintained will do shit loads of kms, i agree with diesel boy and you'd be better off with a older more simple 4x4, my work prado has done 537000 kms and has never had major work, it is serviced by toyota every 10k, we have 5 90 series prados and the lowest kms on any is 460000, all nz new 99/2000 year,and mostly on a mongrel road towing trailers,any jap light diesel will do 300km if maintained. id trust your old teranno before a new colorado thats for sure.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:31 pm

I'd ignore his advice.... I got a an engine sitting in the shed that still runs. A 1987 rb30 with 780,000 on the clock, I got a td27 that's run 25 psi for the 5 years 340,000 a 05 rodeo with 290,000 sr20 with of 300,000 . pajero with 400,000 on original engine.
I have a 07 BMW L6 with a rod in the sump a ls3 with a cracked bore and broken piston another gm block with a dropped valve. A L6 Mercedes engine with damaged journals and probably more ive turned down repairing/replacing.

Go talk to people who own the types of vehicles you are wanting to buy..... Mechanics see all types of engines and more importantly all types of owners ...mostly the ones who don't look after there cars. Hence the broad vague opinion.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

Return to “Product Reviews / 4wd Service”